Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Your choice for $20 million

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Your choice for $20 million
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:14 am
  • Would you rather Jamal Adams or Jadeveon Clowney.
    For me if I gotta pay $20K I'd go with Clowney as I think that position the more impotant.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Re: Your choice for $20 million
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:38 am
  • If Clowney were offered $20M/year he'd already be signed.

I'm guessing that he's unlikely to see north of $14M/year.

Regardless, I'd spend it on Clowney and forego Adams.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:42 am
  • DItto. And Clowney will not cost that much.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:03 am
  • None of them @$20 million/year.

Of the two players I’d rather have Clowney. He was a good fit here even if he didn’t get many sacks he got pressures and was strong holding the edge against the run.

Every team that has one of these $20 mil./yr. players except a few QBs has caused their respective team at times to wonder why they overpaid for the services of that player.

The agents for a few of these guys scored big with their player’s deals, but except for a few really rare cases those players have not played to the value of their contract.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:37 pm
  • These modern day players / entertainers are ruining pro-sports with greediness . The Hawks don't need either of those guys . Nope to both . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:01 pm
  • xray wrote:These modern day players / entertainers are ruining pro-sports with greediness . The Hawks don't need either of those guys . Nope to both . IMO

Seahawks have 2 big holes that they need to fix.

1. Pass rush
    2. CB's.

and unless they fix it, they won't win a SB.

Also greediness ? Look at how much they paid for RW's salary or BW.
    poly1274
    NET Starter

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:05 pm
  • TreeRon wrote:Would you rather Jamal Adams or Jadeveon Clowney.
    For me if I gotta pay $20K I'd go with Clowney as I think that position the more impotant.

Sigh me up for $20k too!

Seriously though Clowney would be more impactful, Especially if Dunbar is good to go. I really like the idea of rushing with fresh legs in waves with Irvin/Mayowa/Taylor/Robinson/Green etc. But having a Clowney who can rest more too and put a little more fear in OCs would be huge.

pay him $12-13M though
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:20 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:
    TreeRon wrote:Would you rather Jamal Adams or Jadeveon Clowney.

Sigh me up for $20k too!

Seriously though Clowney would be more impactful, Especially if Dunbar is good to go. I really like the idea of rushing with fresh legs in waves with Irvin/Mayowa/Taylor/Robinson/Green etc. But having a Clowney who can rest more too and put a little more fear in OCs would be huge.

pay him $12-13M though

More like 15mill and they shouldn't go any higher.

One main problem is that Clowney only does well lining up as DT/NT position.
    poly1274
    NET Starter

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:25 pm
  • poly1274 wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:

Sigh me up for $20k too!

pay him $12-13M though

I actually thought having him at DE and Griffin rushing from the other side was the best pash rush we had all year. Clowney was great no mattet whete he lined up. The rest of the line was the problem.
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:48 pm
  • JGreen79 wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:

Sigh me up for $20k too!

pay him $12-13M though

I actually thought having him at DE and Griffin rushing from the other side was the best pash rush we had all year. Clowney was great no mattet whete he lined up. The rest of the line was the problem.

Look at videos when he was at Houston or even when he was playing at Seattle he sucked at the edge.
    I remember he was killing Seattle when Houston v Seattle and we couldnt run the ball.

Griffen-Clowney-Reed-Irvin looks nice.
    poly1274
    NET Starter

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:32 pm
  • You would think that a Clowney deal would have happened by now. Either the Hawks do not want Clowney enough, Clowney doesn't want the Hawks enough, or both.

Clowney is free to shop himself. We're a little less free to wait around while he does that. If Adams comes available I would pick Adams and move on with it.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:37 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:You would think that a Clowney deal would have happened by now. Either the Hawks do not want Clowney enough, Clowney doesn't want the Hawks enough, or both.

Clowney is free to shop himself. We're a little less free to wait around while he does that. If Adams comes available I would pick Adams and move on with it.

I believe he's looking for a long term deal like 4-5 year contract, and Seattle is giving him a 1 year prove it deal. Longer contract because of this covid could be a possibility.
    poly1274
    NET Starter

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:35 pm
  • poly1274 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:You would think that a Clowney deal would have happened by now. Either the Hawks do not want Clowney enough, Clowney doesn't want the Hawks enough, or both.

I believe he's looking for a long term deal like 4-5 year contract, and Seattle is giving him a 1 year prove it deal. Longer contract because of this covid could be a possibility.

Four to five is wildly optimistic considering Clowney's injury history. But he was the top guy on the line when available and did contribute to several important wins last year.

I don't blame Clowney for looking around for more money or a more long-term deal than we might want to give him. But we can't just wait around until TC either. If Clowney goes elsewhere and by that time Adams is off the block, it limits our defensive choices more than when at least we just had Clowney.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:00 pm
  • As long as Griffen is still FA there is always a choice.
    poly1274
    NET Starter

Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:12 am
  • poly1274 wrote:As long as Griffen is still FA there is always a choice.

This assumes all our decisions aren't predetermined through set chemical reactions we have formed from our genetics and preceding life experiences. I.E. if people choose to do a certain action.. but that choice is made on a feeling.. and that feeling isn't chosen but made from aspects of our genes and previous experiences.. then is it really a choice?

In other words, there might not be a choice in how to best spend our remaining money available for free agents... because there may be no such thing as a choice.

Also, Clowney wouldn't cost any draft picks.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:33 am
  • I'm taking Adams all day given the choice.

I don't agree with those that argue that not only would we have to give up draft choices but a large contract extension as well. You have to do that for superstars even if you are the team that originally drafted that player.

This team needs to be in win now mode. Russ isn't getting any younger.

A top secondary helps the pass rush immensely.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:40 pm
  • poly1274 wrote:
    JGreen79 wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:
    Sigh me up for $20k too!

pay him $12-13M though

Look at videos when he was at Houston or even when he was playing at Seattle he sucked at the edge.
    I remember he was killing Seattle when Houston v Seattle and we couldnt run the ball.

Griffen-Clowney-Reed-Irvin looks nice.

Most of his impact plays came at DE last year.

JGreen79
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:18 pm
  • Adams is the much better player, there's no real question about that, and even if he became the hgihest paid safety in the league, you've got Mathieu on $14m, Earl just under that, let's say he cost $15m per year, he's a better signing than Clowney.

Clowney wasn't exceptional last year by any means, he had a couple of great games and that's it. I'd rather made a strong secondary into, by far, the best in the league than sign a high priced DE who barely gets any sacks.

Not only is Adams the better player, he gets more sacks too, so he could help out our DLine by playing that role, even more aggressively than he currently does. The defence would be better with Adams, the only area we'd really miss Clowney would be in the pass rush, but if you're Shanahan, would you rather face a Seahawks team with Clowney or Jamal Adams? It's not a difficult choice.
    BoltonWanderer
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:00 pm
  • You're right Bolton. It's not a difficult choice. Choosing Adams is like spending the last of your money and part of your next year's salary) buying an upgrade for a slightly worn rear tire when you've got two flats on the front.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:21 am
  • The PASS RUSH is what helps the secondary. History has proven it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:18 am
  • How is this even a choice?

Assuming Clowney was even an option and even WANTED to come here - the choice would be Adams and it is not close.

We had Clowney last year. How did we do in the playoffs? Did we win a game past the wild card?

Has Clowney being on the team changed the success in the playoffs at all?

I am all in for Clowney in most circumstances. He is worth the 20M but we already know even if we got him, it would be for one year. We know he wants more somewhere else. We don't know this about Adams.

He wants more money but he also wants to win. We could keep him for more than 1 year. There is much less chance at this with Clowney.

Paying Clowney means 1 year and having him test the waters again.

Paying Adams might mean the same thing. But after the Jets, he might take a top 5 safety contract AND a winning team for multiple years.

Our defense does best with great safety play. Adams is a great safety. The last time we won anything in the playoffs beyond the wildcard we had great safeties. (You win in the playoffs by shutting down the pass. Adams can help in that respect, whereas Clowney isn't even a consistent pass rusher.)

We know what we look like with Clowney in the playoffs. I'd rather fix the issue with safety.

Safety play is a linchpin for success for us. Fix the safety issues and we might do better in the playoffs.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:59 pm
  • Hahahaha. So pay out the ass for a disgruntled, entitled safety?. Hahahaha.

While ignoring the elephant in the room?

Have you not noticed the last 10 years?

Fool of a Took.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:44 pm
  • "I'd rather fix the issue with safety."
    We have an issue on DL.
    We have an issue on OL.
    We may have an issue at CB.
    But, WE DO NOT HAVE AN ISSUE at safety.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:03 pm
  • I'd give that to either for the upcoming season. I'd give it to Adams for the next five seasons though.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:06 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:"I'd rather fix the issue with safety."
    We have an issue on DL.
    We have an issue on OL.
    We may have an issue at CB.
    But, WE DO NOT HAVE AN ISSUE at safety.

We've HAD an issue on the OL and just keep throwing band-aids at it, and seem to have some sort of fetish for once highly-regarded offensive linemen who were trash on their last team. I'd easily take a young, already-elite safety over signing a bunch more filler JAGs at "need positions" that aren't going to move the needle anyway. Sign the star player and let everyone around him reap the benefits of having an easier job.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:32 pm
  • We HAVE an issue at safety.

The issue is that the defense and success of our defense literally hinges on our safeties playing well.

Our defense depends on great safety play to be better than good. That is an issue.

We don't have terrible SS play, but we don't have exceptional play at that position. And our defense depends on it, at a position we have significant age, depth, & injury risk.

Sure we had and likely have issues at OL. But our play style counters it, works around it. And our players have the ability to succeed despite it.

DL is less an issue than it is not exceptional. However, our defense does not depend on exceptional DL play to be successful. I could be wrong, but our defensive line looks average, not great, not terrible.

It is better to put together an exceptional secondary than it is to put together a bit better DL. In fact, most times a team in the playoffs is going to win by exploiting what it is exceptional at, than getting better at something it is weak at. There are not many generalists alive in the divisional and conference rounds.

Also, signing Clowney improves nothing. Not signing him makes us somewhat worse on the DL. Our DL that had all these issues already had Clowney on it! Why in the world would you want to spend big to repeat the ability to be average to below average in that area?

Signing Adams makes us better. It improves us. Whereas signing Clowney?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:18 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:You're right Bolton. It's not a difficult choice. Choosing Adams is like spending the last of your money and part of your next year's salary) buying an upgrade for a slightly worn rear tire when you've got two flats on the front.

We bought a couple of good used tires for the front. Mayowa and Irvin. Plus a good spare in Darrell Taylor, and a limited service spare in Alton Robinson. So we might already have more traction up front than we know. And, better cover on the back end will improve our pass rush.

If we can get Adams without giving up an unrealistic amount, in draft picks and contract, he would really improve the D. Clowney only costs cash.

Flip a coin, either/both would help, but it really depends on what we have to give up to get Adams.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:55 pm
  • We are stacked at safety. We don't need another one.

Clowney is not worth $20M. He's a good player, but not $20M good.

For $20M I'll take Snacks Harrison AND Griffen.
    Own The West
    NET Starter

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:50 pm
  • Own The West wrote:We are stacked at safety. We don't need another one.

Clowney is not worth $20M. He's a good player, but not $20M good.

For $20M I'll take Snacks Harrison AND Griffen.

Diggs is a stud, but "stacked at safety" feels like a bit of a stretch. McDougald is league average-ish and we have seen very little of what's behind them. I feel confident in saying that we're not stacked with elite players though.

Adams is 24, while Snacks is 31 (with apparent motivation issues) and Griffen is 32. Neither seem to be drawing any interest either.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:59 pm
  • Neither at 20M.

Although if we're talking about achieving that defensive swagger, and closing the circle on physical play ... then I see Adams as a unique fit. Really he's the closest thing to Kam in this league. Both extremely physical players and the same kind of emotional leaders.

Positional value aside -- Adams is a difference maker. None of the safeties or anyone in the secondary really, carries that kind of value. We look to be littered with well above average talent. Players who provide good pay at a relatively bargain price. But no real alpha talent there.

The draft pick cost is prohibitive though.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:31 am
  • "Our defense depends on great safety play to be better than good. That is an issue."
    You are right twisted, in that if your defense depends on safety play you are in big trouble. That means the guys in front of them aren't getting their job done, and if safeties are making the plays you're probably giving up a bunch of yardage. Sound familiar?
    Fix the problems up front and your safeties are free to ball hawk. Bottom line is it take a TEAM to win. Loading up at any position at the expense of the others is a losing proposition.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:33 pm
  • If I have to, it is Adams every time. You pay studs. You don't overpay pretty good players, regardless of position.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:57 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:I'm taking Adams all day given the choice.

I don't agree with those that argue that not only would we have to give up draft choices but a large contract extension as well. You have to do that for superstars even if you are the team that originally drafted that player.

This team needs to be in win now mode. Russ isn't getting any younger.

A top secondary helps the pass rush immensely.

Jamal Adams isn't going to make this defensive tackle lineup any better. That entire secondary is about to be wasted back there for an entire year. I don't see the point of even bothering to add Adams to it.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:12 pm
  • Adams tilts the field.

Those guys win games for you.

Personally, I consider Griffen a middle tier DL. And Snacks? Likely same but maybe less impact on W/L.

Neither very expensive DL option will matter that much in the winning a game for you. One MIGHT have a great game once per year and win you one, but Adams over a season will make a greater impact than either choice when the playoffs start - because that is what great players do.

Also, Top tier safeties cost less than good to very good DL.

There are no great field-tilting options available at DL for the Seahawks. Clowney is the only one, but he won't want to stay here. There is a great field-tilting safety available, and as a box safety, he can even be another resource in helping to run down the opposing running QBs.

It is ALWAYS better to pay for the GREAT players than the good or even very good. Especially because those guys tend to shine in the playoffs and often are the difference in the game.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:29 am
  • "Also, Top tier safeties cost less than good to very good DL."

Your guy doesn't intend to.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 am
  • Seattle was horrible in their run defense last year.

Clowney is better known as a run stopper than a pass rusher and still Seattle’s run defense was lacking.

Adams is regarded as a premier top 2 at his position.

Adams would be the better choice as he can do more for the defense.

He’s a plug and play to be safety, either up top or in the box and can provide an option at nickel on certain packages.

Although the pass rush for Seattle is an issue, you cannot overlook other areas that are also an issue.

Seattle has not played Cover-1 and Cover-3 well since losing a good nickel corner and Adams can provide help with that in order for Seattle to be able to play the defense that Carroll would prefer to play.

Adams would be the better option at this point and he’s younger, as well.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:58 am
  • At what cost though? Massive contract AND giving up a high draft pick or two.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:02 am
  • Would you trade Collier or Penny for Adams?

Because that is what we would lose for our high draft pick.

Those are the kinds of players we get with our firsts.

I am biased because I would trade Brooks AND Collier for Adams...but still.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:27 am
  • And where would they get the cap money? In addition to having to give up a 1, if not more?
    I would love to have him as a Hawk. Just doesn't seem realistic at all. Just an opinion....
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:29 am
  • At this point, if the Jets want a cheap running back, so they can cut ties with Bell, you have to think about giving up Penny (when he's healthy).

Carson will be gone next year and you can draft another running back in the mid-later rounds in the next drafts.

It makes total sense.

The Seahawks aren't gonna extend Carson anyways and you can replace a running back with a later round running back and in return you get an elite DEFENSIVE PLAYER.

Adams is ALL-PRO.

You can get an ALL-PRO talent at the young age of 24 and give up next to nothing in Penny (if the Jets take the bait).

You can pay Adams since you won't have anyone else you need to pay other than Wilson.

Wagner will be replaced with Brooks anyways in the next few years, so you won't have to pay Wagner.

The next player you would need to pay is Metcalf, which you don't need to pay for another 3 years.

The pass rush will absolutely need to be HOMEGROWN talent and this will be heavily relied on the ability of coaching and talent evaluation.

You can do more with Adams.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:30 am
  • Fair enough, would love to see him on the Hawks.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:52 pm
  • I imagine the Jets would want one 1st and another lower round pick. Maybe 2 firsts, but I think you could talk it down to a 1st and a 3rd-5th.

Cannot imagine the Jets would consider Penny in a trade but you never know.

If we gave up 2 firsts a few years ago, it means no Penny or Collier. Point being, our 1sts have no exactly been world-beaters. And in fact, are not even starters. Trading our 1sts really means we lose out on tomorrow's version of Collier or Penny.

The value of a 1st is a starter and/or potentially great player that you can get to play several years for less. Since our 1sts rarely even start, the cost of trading a 1st (for us) is lower.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:21 am
  • Clowney's gone....been gone. He's not resigning with Seattle.
    I wouldn't spend it on Adam's either.
    Elemas
    NET Starter

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information