Some good news regarding the Flash

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Gordon was one of my favorite players. I knew something was up after Carolina when he wouldn't even talk to the local media, which he does frequently.

I don't think anything having to do with MJ should have even been on his record. AFAIK it should come off anyone's record. All NFL players are in, or travel to, areas where MJ is just as easy and legal as going to a bar.

xray

Reaction score
I can admit that I like to watch games with a good buzz . So what is a player is feeling no pain ...as long as he makes the catch. In the words of Nancy Reagan..." Just Say Yo " . Drive safely.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Feels like a given he ends up back with the Hawks. He clearly has made no secret he wants to be back. Would be a great addition to get him back on the field. Makes the team better at that position immediately.

Tical21

Reaction score
I want no part of this. At what point does he let you down again with childish behavior?

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Tical21":2rxh48x6 said:
I want no part of this. At what point does he let you down again with childish behavior?

Not sure what you mean by childish behavior? He has problems with pot, which is basically a non issue with the new rules. He's never been a locker room problem.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2vwx1r6h said:
Tical21":2vwx1r6h said:

Not sure what you mean by childish behavior? He has problems with pot, which is basically a non issue with the new rules. He's never been a locker room problem.
I'm going to guess he has ongoing issues with more than just pot. He's said himself he's had issues with codeine, alcohol, and xanax in the past.

Since then, he's been suspended multiple times. For privacy issues, the NFL cannot come out and say what the substance abuse or PED use was, so players can tell the public it was just pot or adderall use and the NFL cannot correct their statement. Heck, the league probably wouldn't want to even if they could. It's easier for the public to accept substance abuse of pot than other more hardcore drugs.

Also, from reports I've heard, include the Seahawks PR, Gordan last suspension was for both Substance Abuse AND PEDs, when the 1st five suspensions was solely substance abuse, so it's not just substance abuse he's working through.

Gordan has some issues to work through and though he might not be a "locker room problem" you have to actually be in the locker room to make a difference, not suspended sitting at home. FWIW, I'm 50-50 on wanting him back. Obviously he's a talented player, but he's hard to rely on for an entire season.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Tical21":1ap599xg said:

Does it matter? If he works out we have a great addition, if he doesn't work out with his "childish behavior" then we have lost nothing and no better than we were without him..

Really, it's a win win situation for us.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Just speculation but the PED portion of his last suspension may well have been due to a masking agent he was using to hide the pot. That would automatically be a PED failure.

I just don't think I would consider anything he has done to be "childish" and since pot is basically a non issue now, his chances of being suspended again would drop significantly.

But even if he does end up getting suspended again, the guy will come cheap, low risk, high reward.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3svfg621 said:
Just speculation but the PED portion of his last suspension may well have been due to a masking agent he was using to hide the pot. That would automatically be a PED failure.

I just don't think I would consider anything he has done to be "childish" and since pot is basically a non issue now, his chances of being suspended again would drop significantly.

But even if he does end up getting suspended again, the guy will come cheap, low risk, high reward.
I agree that calling substance abuse and addiction "childish" is uncalled for.

I get the idea of low risk, high reward, but every move comes with an opportunity cost. Last year it was Gary Jennings, this year who knows?

Before anybody says, Gary Jennings was a bust, he was still just a rookie who is now getting some good reviews on his off-season training:

"On receiver Gary Jennings, a 2019 fourth-round pick of Seattle who was claimed off waivers by Miami last November but sustained a season-ending shoulder injury in his first game for the Dolphins:

Last Friday, “it was like old school college seven-on-seven out here, and he put on a clinic. His routes were outstanding. We’re talking about two straight hours going against some of the top defensive backs in this league.

“He was a 4.3 guy [at West Virginia] and is still a 4.3 guy. I had All Pro cornerbacks on those fields [last Friday], and they said he’s the real deal. All he needs is a shot. He has all the skills to be big time.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamih ... 37301.html

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I got to see Jennings play college ball multiple times and he performed admirably on a consistent basis. So I had high hopes for him as a Seahawk and was very disappointed when that didn't pan out. I saw him as a young talent who could do what Gordon does. But Gordon proved it for his limited showings while for some reason Jennings didn't. I wouldn't at all mind having Jennings back for another shot, but I positively want to see Gordon back to do what he did for us but without the limited showing part.

flv

Reaction score
There is currently a block on signing free agents because of the possibility of the 2021 cap decreasing, (which would happen if games went ahead without fans in the stadium).

If Gordon is reinstated and he can sign with a team he will still be subject to the strenuous NFL substance testing policy. The level of alcohol permitted by that policy is zero. Gordon has already failed 2 tests due to alcohol.

Personally i'm tired of the in-season ban followed by offseason plea for re-instatement cycle.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
flv":p9r7ef9z said:
There is currently a block on signing free agents because of the possibility of the 2021 cap decreasing, (which would happen if games went ahead without fans in the stadium).

If Gordon is reinstated and he can sign with a team he will still be subject to the strenuous NFL substance testing policy. The level of alcohol permitted by that policy is zero. Gordon has already failed 2 tests due to alcohol.

Personally i'm tired of the in-season ban followed by offseason plea for re-instatement cycle.

Sure, but what would you have them do? Just fade away?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Look at his talent alone. He RARELY drops the ball, and makes it look very easy. I still think people forget how good this guy is. Especially his ceiling as a WR.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
True Soul. But there's more than just skill level. He is a good guy who has good intentions and has never been a problem to those around him...just to himself. I believe he's gaining enough maturity to have a good chance of getting all that stuff sorted out in terms of understanding responsibility for your priorities. If football and success are his priority he will understand what he has to do to protect that. That will make him an even better player than he's ever been. Maybe being in the NW has provided the discovery of affinity for natural beauty, and that has helped instill a realization of what his priorities are. I think this time, given all the peripheral circumstances, he has a good shot to make it good. And if he does he can make us VERY good.

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":prmvsw8j said:
Look at his talent alone. He RARELY drops the ball, and makes it look very easy. I still think people forget how good this guy is. Especially his ceiling as a WR.

I like him, but I don't know how much of a "ceiling" he has left. 2012 was a long, long time ago. The flashes of eliteness havn't been especially frequent since, even when he does play.

flv

Reaction score
Bobblehead":ciqf0t8y said:
Sure, but what would you have them do? Just fade away?
How about at least a 12 month ban? The guy failed a test in December 2018 and despite numerous previous failed tests he was allowed to play Week 1 of the 2019 season. He failed another test in December 2019 and now he wants to be back for Week 1 of 2020? He shouldn't be eligible to re-apply until December 2020, at the earliest, (and thus he would be excluded until the 2021 season). It's getting to the point where it's cheaper to be busted for drugs than it is to hold out on a contract.

Later edit: Technically, or at least according to Wikipedia, in December 2018 he violated the terms of his conditional reinstatement. That could mean he didn't turn up for tests, (whilst he was dealing with other issues), rather than outright fail a test.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Rat":37ca0n15 said:
SoulfishHawk":37ca0n15 said:

I like him, but I don't know how much of a "ceiling" he has left. 2012 was a long, long time ago. The flashes of eliteness havn't been especially frequent since, even when he does play.

Steve Largent never flashed eliteness..short, slow, yet somehow at one point in the history of NFL, he led the league in all the stats that mattered. Gordon may have lost a step or so, but, I'm betting he can still run routes and catch the ball, plus that added receiver with benefits everyone covets.... he's tall and big.and that won't go away.