Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We have like a zillion players on the roster right now...

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Including many many o-linemen etc. I assume they all count against the cap until they get cut, when they do how much cap space do you suppose will appear out of thin air? Enough to do something towards the end of training camp?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:Including many many o-linemen etc. I assume they all count against the cap until they get cut, when they do how much cap space do you suppose will appear out of thin air? Enough to do something towards the end of training camp?

Rule of 51. In the off season, only the top 51 salaries count against the cap. So around 40 players are "free" so to speak. At cut down day, all active roster players count, 53 so far-or did that change lately?
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• The team has the 90 players on their roster that are noted in the roster thread. As Sutz has correctly observed only the top 51 of those contracts count against the cap. The team will keep 53 players on the active roster and another 12 on the PS. It is most likely that we may see some new faces around cutdown time and possibly some trades.

Here is a link to OTC.com for the team: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

The link shows the cutoff to the the top 51 salaries.

If you are to assess the top 51 salaries there are few potential suspect candidates where there could be some cap relief upon releasing or waiving the respective players but for those players camp and health issues will be everything as to whether they stay or are released. In a sense it's a personal assessment but certainly there could be some cap clawed back. With the assessments the guaranteed money has to be considered and the OTC website can assist your calculations. Looking at the OLine the numbers are significant with many of the candidates for potential release being in the top 51. There are other areas which bear examination and we can look at the roster to see the position groups where there are potential cap cuts.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Very curious to hear how many QBs teams will keep on the roster this year.

Some of the articles were saying as many as 4.

This is going to be an interesting season to watch play out.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:Very curious to hear how many QBs teams will keep on the roster this year.

Some of the articles were saying as many as 4.

This is going to be an interesting season to watch play out.

With the new rules around handling of Practice Squad, incuding expanded rosters there, I'd bet a lot of teams might go that way, with two of them stashed on the PS. More will probably eschew 3 on the 53, too.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Accounting for injury and a Covid infection during the week you almost have to, that and maybe having two on PS at all times.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Not a zillion . Without my readers it looks like 900 ready to show their chit . Go Hawks... :2thumbs:
    xray
    NET Veteran

• Going back to 2012? throw abunch of noodles on the wall and see who sticks?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Not sure if people in this thread are joking? but the maximum roster size at this time of year is 90 players. NFL teams always try to have the maximum allowed and there's nothing noteworthy about us doing the exact same thing every team always does.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:Including many many o-linemen etc. I assume they all count against the cap until they get cut, when they do how much cap space do you suppose will appear out of thin air? Enough to do something towards the end of training camp?

Rule of 51. In the off season, only the top 51 salaries count against the cap. So around 40 players are "free" so to speak. At cut down day, all active roster players count, 53 so far-or did that change lately?

Ah, okay. I somehow hadn't ever heard of that rule.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• I think the point of the thread is with the large number of players at a few position groups the OP wonders if there could be a significant cap recapture at final cuts that allows for the addition of a significant addition. It’s a good question and involves a look at the cap hits for every position group.

To me there won’t be the likelihood of any Britt level cuts but there is a possibility of several 1-2 million dollar recaptures which should allow for the addition of a player like Clowney or whomever, or possibly some intriguing trade addition.

If nothing else it’s worth looking at the numbers and making your own assessment.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Actually I wasn't being that subtle. I just thought that all 93 count against the cap so there might be cap benefits when we cut the camp fodder, but apparently not. That explains why there are so many 'cap casualties' at the end of NFL camps every year.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• A few players with contracts who could be cap casualties, or trade candidates are: KJ Wright, McDougald, Ogbuehi, Moore, Iupati, Warmack, one of Finney, Hunt, or Pocic, Jackson. There are others but these players could cause a nice return to cap if cut.

There are several that I wouldn't cut, or trade, but several here could be on the bubble. I don’t believe JS is done yet.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:06 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information