If the season is cancelled and Clowney is not under Contract

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I would imagine he would be in the cold with any sort of partial pay. I would worry a little.

nwHawk

Reaction score
He knows the landscape by now. Either he wants to be here, or he doesn't. In hindsight, the Hawks seemed to have offered him a fairly decent contract. He should have taken it.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He still might take Seattles's deal, but not until TC is done Or not.

sutz

Reaction score
If he's not under contract, he won't get paid. Nada. Nil. Zilch. :229031_shrug:

nanomoz

Reaction score
I've said this a bunch of times, but I suspect he's going to regret not signing one of the first two deals that were reportedly offered by Seattle and Cleveland.

sutz

Reaction score
nanomoz":1jd1ok67 said:
I've said this a bunch of times, but I suspect he's going to regret not signing one of the first two deals that were reportedly offered by Seattle and Cleveland.
:ditto: Yeah, what he said.

xray

Reaction score
i might start to consider other sports to watch , that I hated before , you know which ones. Clowney had several chances.
I don't give a chit about him , because he tried to BS the Hawks into thinking he just loved the Seahawks and the FO would cave to his wishes . I was done with that gold digger along time before now . PS I think Clowney should go to the Raiders just to get some chatter going . :D That new facility and the Raiders brand . He would be a rock star in Vegas .

xray

Reaction score
xray":3aq44moz said:
i might start to consider other sports to watch , that I hated before , you know which ones. Clowney had several chances.
I don't give a chit about him , because he tried to BS the Hawks into thinking he just loved the Seahawks and the FO would cave to his wishes . I was done with that gold digger along time before now . PS I think Clowney should go to the Raiders just to get some chatter going . :D That new facility and the Raiders brand . He would be a rock star in Vegas .

By the way we don't get to see the pre-season game at that facility . sucks

hawks85

Reaction score
nanomoz":1o8brq6v said:
Good ol Clowney looks like we all see who's the clown now. Clowney is living in a fantasy world. That guy had like you said 2 good contract offers and they got shot down because of greed. Clowney will never be a 20 mil a year DE he's overrated. Even if he has a 15 sack year he still wont make 20 mil a year. The team that he's on will most likely ask to produce like that for another season then we can talk turkey. He'll be making less this year if he signs than last year. He should go to the browns for a year.

Elemas

Reaction score
Seems like the type to secure the bag...and then not live up to the contract.

Not sure where, but I've read that somewhere as well. That there was a concern about his level of passion if signed to a big contract.

Biased statement but, Seattle offered him a fair deal. He said he wants to sign with a contender. In his perfect world, he'd sign for 20M+ to the Chiefs, Ravens, Niners.....

Don't want to write him off but it's clear that his "love" of Seattle talk was just that...talk.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
jammerhawk":ubevzjk3 said:
He still might take Seattles's deal, but not until TC is done Or not.

This was my thought as well..

He may be just avoiding TC..

sutz

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1jk4xr8t said:
IF you wanted to choose a season to sit out, there would probably never be a better one than the one we're looking at.
I think we still have a shot at getting a deal done.
OTOH, you might also think that there is probably no season better for a 'prove it' deal, too. Limited TC if at all, only 2 pre-season games, perhaps a shortened season at that.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Florio's said Cleveland is done with Clowney.

He had his chance with us and with others. Well when that happens it's your pick but he's just stringing everyone along.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It isn't in Clowney's best interest to play on a 1-year deal here.

Clowney is a stud. Sure, durability issues but he impacts games. The challenge is that for us, his greatest value is to both bring pressure and blow up the run game. He does both well. But he won't put up big sack #s here.

To pretend he isn't one of our best defensive players is just whistling past the graveyard, in that without him we are much worse. But he still only got something like 2 sacks last year.

Sure he completely dominated the 49ers and probably won the Eagles game for us - but the stats aren't going to give him a huge payday here.

His best bet is to play on a one year deal where he can just wreck people, even with all the talent the Bucs have on the DL - he would be huge for them. Same for Eagles and Cowboys.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Well, if the season is cancelled, then Clowney won't get paid at all.

But then, neither will any other player in the league. Game checks are distributed as a proration after every game. Signing bonus money will have already been paid at the time or signing or already had their payment schedule contractually agreed to (if they are paid out in installments). Per game guarantees (and workout incentives/etc) would not be.

Clowney has already earned over 50M over his career. Not sure he's going to hurt all that badly.

Right now, the only thing Clowney would be out, is the potential signing bonus he would have otherwise had. But he could sign a deal at any time which should include one. I'm guessing that the environment for getting a good signing bonus is pretty slim right now. So it's conceivable that he'd actually be better off signing a deal next year, than signing a bad deal with a low signing bonus this year -- if the assumption is that games will be sacrificed and base pay/per game guaratees end up not being paid at all.