Would you trade Carroll/Wilson for Reid/Mahomes today?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I like Carroll and love Wilson but I have always felt that Wilson has propped up Carroll's stupid, outdated system and has bailed him out of losing records several times since the SB. Carroll does NOT build the team around Wilson, the teams best player.

I like Reid and love Mahomes and think that Reid has made the teams best player the focus of the offense and built around him.

So I would make the trade despite thinking Wilson is a great QB. If you want to be ranked 27th in the league in percentage of plays you pass you might as well trade Wilson for Derrick Henry and a mid-tier cheaper QB. A better coach could use Wilson in a way that he can get some MVP votes without going full Air Coryell on offense. Perhaps even letting the offense try to score in the first half.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
I would trade Carroll for Reid because maybe Reid would actually let WIlson do his thing for the entire game.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
In a heart beat.

Just glad that the Cards didn't take Mahomes like I thought they should.

He would have done well with Arians too.

I would love to see Wilson under a more new-school, offensive minded coach.

Like the Brady/Bellichick question, we will always wonder how Carroll and Wilson would do if they didn't have each other.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":lvq6pqzl said:
I...think that Reid has made the teams best player the focus of the offense and built around him.

Because all those amazing highlight reels of Mahomes are of the QB playing entirely within structure, making at most three reads from the pocket and finding an open receiver within 3 seconds every time. ;)

Mahomes is every bit the improviser that Wilson is.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
How is this debatable unless we are going just on sentiment?

Of course yes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DYLcurry59":1h28whq3 said:
I would trade Carroll for Reid because maybe Reid would actually let WIlson do his thing for the entire game.

2.9 pts, that's the difference between the Chiefs and Hawks for PPG...........and before last year no HC took more crap from his fanbase than Reid for never getting to SB.

Oh how we love the flavor of the week and what have you done for me lately short term wants and needs.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Reid has always been the better football mind. He has lacked the Elite QB to get over the hump with Mahomes he has that. Alas he also has the weight of the elite QB contract and we will have to see if the chiefs can adapt to that That is what proves difficult in contending for multiple championships. I would make the trade just to rid ourselves of Carroll but also believe Mahomes has more upside than Russ at their respective career stages.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's a flavour choice. Do you want an offensive minded HC or defensive minded HC? Mahomes is a rare player indeed but then again so is Wilson. I believe Wilson has done more with less than just about any other QB in the NFL certainly Mahomes has more offensive weapons available to him than does Wilson.

To me given our personnel on both sides of the ball I'd rather keep PC and RW. As well now the Mahomes has his new deal I prefer the deal Wilson has and suspect KC will struggle with trying to fit a quality SB winning roster under the cap going forward.

My answer is NO!

xray

Reaction score
Carroll needs Wilson more than Wilson needs Carroll . I've been a Hawks fan since 1976 . It's a team sport and spotlighting individuals doesn't interest me that much . If I had to choose for the sake of the Seahawks. I would swap for Reid/Mahomes tomorrow .

Smellyman

Reaction score
Reid made Alex Smith and other mediocre QBs really good.

I'd love to see what Reid/Wilson could do.

John63

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2wm86t2t said:
I like Carroll and love Wilson but I have always felt that Wilson has propped up Carroll's stupid, outdated system and has bailed him out of losing records several times since the SB. Carroll does NOT build the team around Wilson, the teams best player.

I like Reid and love Mahomes and think that Reid has made the teams best player the focus of the offense and built around him.

So I would make the trade despite thinking Wilson is a great QB. If you want to be ranked 27th in the league in percentage of plays you pass you might as well trade Wilson for Derrick Henry and a mid-tier cheaper QB. A better coach could use Wilson in a way that he can get some MVP votes without going full Air Coryell on offense. Perhaps even letting the offense try to score in the first half.

So one your post does not mention the trade of Mahomes/Reid and Carroll/Wilson.

That said I agree with all you said.

However, given the talent on this team on offense is way less than what Mahome has now there is no guarantee he would have the same success. We really dont know how much of Mahomes success is the systems, other player. Let me remind you it is the same system that made Smith look like All pro for a few years. Though I suspect he is a very good QB would he be as good with less talent, to include going form top 5 oline to bottom 5. Also he missed 3 games in his foirst 2 years Wilson missed none, behind our oline in the system Reid uses he would get killed.

John63

Reaction score
bigskydoc":be30j084 said:
In a heart beat.

Just glad that the Cards didn't take Mahomes like I thought they should.

He would have done well with Arians too.

I would love to see Wilson under a more new-school, offensive minded coach.

Like the Brady/Bellichick question, we will always wonder how Carroll and Wilson would do if they didn't have each other.

Well we know Wilson woudl do as good or better.

As for Carroll well we also know he has been a HC before and nada till he got Wilson.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
This is a very hard one because of my allegiance to the Hawks and this is the best quarterback coach that we’ve ever had. much as I like Russell and Pete . Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid are going to have a shot a lot of Super Bowls . IMHO Patrick Mahomes is the quarterback that everybody’s been looking for Almost undefendable and whoever the coach hooked up with him is going to look real good plus Andy Reid is a hell of a football coach on top of it all .

poly1274

Reaction score
Of course would take Reid/Mahomes. Reid would actualy get a good OL and good WR's instead of PC.

Rat

Reaction score
This is only a debate among Seahawk fans. Nobody else is even considering Carroll/Wilson over Reid/Mahomes.

As for the Carroll vs Reid part: I really don't care that much. I've had the opinion for a while that Reid is overrated as a head coach (good for him for last season though). Pete would certainly be one of the first names I'd mention after Belichick when listing the best coaches of the past decade, but the current version... MAYBE fringe top-10. I don't want him fired or anything, but I wouldn't be super upset if he decided that this upcoming season was going to be his last. And while Reid is six years younger than Carroll, Reid is not exactly a paragon of health. In my mind, their age difference is only represented by a number. If coordinators are coming along too, I'll take Reid, but the head coach part of this argument isn't enough for me to definitively answer the main question.

As for Russ vs Mahomes… yeah, you take Mahomes. They're both elite in virtually every metric. They're both high-end leaders, they win, they can make all the throws, they're both very improvisational and can make plays on their feet. Even those who feel an obligation to rip Mahomes to prop Russ can't even come up with any criticisms that actually involve his play, it's just the "he's got good players around him", "you can't prove he'd be as good on another team", blah, blah, blah. You'd have to be a special kind of delusional to not see how special he is. He would be spectacular in any system. If people want to debate who is "better" right now, then whatever, but what cannot be debated is that Mahomes is seven years younger, so give me that. Taking the younger guy going forward would in no way diminish what Russ has done for this franchise.

poly1274

Reaction score
Rat":ch8lw5eq said:
This is only a debate among Seahawk fans. Nobody else is even considering Carroll/Wilson over Reid/Mahomes.

As for the Carroll vs Reid part: I really don't care that much. I've had the opinion for a while that Reid is overrated as a head coach (good for him for last season though). Pete would certainly be one of the first names I'd mention after Belichick when listing the best coaches of the past decade, but the current version... MAYBE fringe top-10. I don't want him fired or anything, but I wouldn't be super upset if he decided that this upcoming season was going to be his last. And while Reid is six years younger than Carroll, Reid is not exactly a paragon of health. In my mind, their age difference is only represented by a number. If coordinators are coming along too, I'll take Reid, but the head coach part of this argument isn't enough for me to definitively answer the main question.

As for Russ vs Mahomes… yeah, you take Mahomes. They're both elite in virtually every metric. They're both high-end leaders, they win, they can make all the throws, they're both very improvisational and can make plays on their feet. Even those who feel an obligation to rip Mahomes to prop Russ can't even come up with any criticisms that actually involve his play, it's just the "he's got good players around him", "you can't prove he'd be as good on another team", blah, blah, blah. You'd have to be a special kind of delusional to not see how special he is. He would be spectacular in any system. If people want to debate who is "better" right now, then whatever, but what cannot be debated is that Mahomes is seven years younger, so give me that. Taking the younger guy going forward would in no way diminish what Russ has done for this franchise.

Srrs question, what did Russ do for this franchise?