Do Not Sell My Personal Information

72 NFL players tested positive for COVID-19

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13

  • Yikes, and the large majority of players haven't even been getting tested yet.

    Doesn't help that so many NFL players live in all these hotspots in the south, and more than likely haven't exactly been sheltering in place or doing what they need to do to not get Covid.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17189
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • Gonna be a miserable fall and winter.

    Probably no sports or some really diminished versions.

    Schools are going to be jacked up all over the place.

    Limited entertainment options outside the home for a large chunk of our population.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2546
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:56 pm


  • Honestly, it's probably best not to have a football season this year. Even what level they do come up with will be a poor product on the field. You won't know when some virus outbreak will sideline a whole team that ends up having to forfeit a game. There will be miss-matches all thru the season. No eventual SB winner will be based on the best team the league can offer, but who is able to survive. That isn't an acceptable product to watch at all.

    It's best to just cancel the season now and kill any false hope . Just saying.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3149
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm


  • It's starting to look like a live season won't happen. It's not the playoffs, it's at the beginning.

    The NFLPA has made this information public on its website, which also provides players a market-by-market look at how the virus has been spreading in cities where camps are scheduled to open later this month. The map on the site is based on 14-day averages of new positive tests and currently shows Miami as the "hottest" virus spot among NFL markets, with 4,164 average daily cases over the past two weeks. Close behind are Los Angeles, Arizona and Dallas.

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/294 ... oronavirus

    We obviously come into contact with two of those teams as it is let alone where people spend their offseason or go home to. As of now I'd guess that the Hawks and the 49ers feel "safest" playing against each other once everyone's in camp and assuming they can't go anywhere.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5172
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


  • 2.5 percent of NFL players have had covid so far, oh noes!

    The link says that many players have tested positive TO DATE, which means the majority of them have already recovered. Guess what? None of those 72 got even close to dying, unlike the thing they do for a living which could kill them on any given play.
    beastalamode
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 141
    Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:03 pm


  • Just out of curiousity, how many times in the history of nfl play has there been a player fatality on the field of play?
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1070
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


  • This is getting ridiculous ROFL

    10k last week from influenza/pneumonia, 203 from covid.. Yet COVID is shutting down our country... This world is getting absurd with its logical thinking. :( :stirthepot:
    balakoth
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 71
    Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:41 pm


  • kf3339 wrote:Honestly, it's probably best not to have a football season this year. Even what level they do come up with will be a poor product on the field. You won't know when some virus outbreak will sideline a whole team that ends up having to forfeit a game. There will be miss-matches all thru the season. No eventual SB winner will be based on the best team the league can offer, but who is able to survive. That isn't an acceptable product to watch at all.

    It's best to just cancel the season now and kill any false hope . Just saying.


    As much as I love football, and if you talk to my wife I love it a little too much................I agree with you.

    We're already seeing what these disaster of abbreviated seasons are looking like with Euro soccer, MLS and now the NHL, NBA and MLB trying to play covid shortened seasons for no other reason than cold hard cash.

    The idea was the NFL had what these other leagues didn't have, time for the virus to calm down so they could hopefully play in some manner of normalcy. But that's out the window, the virus isn't even close to being flattened enough to deal with 1,000 players on a daily basis trying to keep them safe and tested.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17189
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • Appyhawk wrote:Just out of curiousity, how many times in the history of nfl play has there been a player fatality on the field of play?



    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... n-workouts

    If I have a question like that, I Google it.

    Edit: Before you point out that you said "NFL," let me head you off at the pass. If that is your distinction, just note that it is ridiculous, and misses the point that in fact, people die every year on the field.
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 815
    Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:43 am


  • Here's my problem with no season:

    1. Low income "essential" workers being forced to work through the virus to make ends meet.

    2. Higher income people who get to sit at home collecting 1k a week.

    3. Elite income athletes trying to get the nfl season cancelled while still collecting money from the owners.

    It's just not a good look. Why not play a game, make millions of dollars, and bring some happiness to all the low income people who are forced to work through this?
    beastalamode
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 141
    Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:03 pm


  • beastalamode wrote:Here's my problem with no season:

    1. Low income "essential" workers being forced to work through the virus to make ends meet.

    2. Higher income people who get to sit at home collecting 1k a week.

    3. Elite income athletes trying to get the nfl season cancelled while still collecting money from the owners.

    It's just not a good look. Why not play a game, make millions of dollars, and bring some happiness to all the low income people who are forced to work through this?


    Really is something like this.

    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 31862
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • beastalamode wrote:2.5 percent of NFL players have had covid so far, oh noes!

    The link says that many players have tested positive TO DATE, which means the majority of them have already recovered. Guess what? None of those 72 got even close to dying, unlike the thing they do for a living which could kill them on any given play.


    2.5 percent is high and suggests that everyone in the league will get sick if they push forward with a season.

    Talk to the people with blood clots... I know someone that lost their sense of smell, most of their sense of taste, and has inexplicable tingling in their legs from time to time. This is four months after "recovering".

    I know someone else that is often out of breath -- even though they are in shape -- and sometimes gets confused i.e. similar to old folks dementia. They are in their 40s. They also had a relatively mild case, allegedly, and "recovered" months ago.

    Keep in mind that players are often fathers, grandfathers, and obviously all of them are sons and grandsons... they could kill their parents, grandparents, wives parents... give it to their kids...
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1086
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:12 pm


  • NFL put your damn pride aside and just officially announce what we already know:

    There will not be a 2020 NFL season this year.

    Sucks but it's for the best. Wait for a cure/vaccine and enjoy the extra time with family. We'll survive.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14082
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Nhl is starting aug 1st. This will be a trial run. A few players get it and itll have trickle down effect
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 9781
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • BocciHawk wrote:2.5 percent is high and suggests that everyone in the league will get sick if they push forward with a season.

    Talk to the people with blood clots... I know someone that lost their sense of smell, most of their sense of taste, and has inexplicable tingling in their legs from time to time. This is four months after "recovering".

    I know someone else that is often out of breath -- even though they are in shape -- and sometimes gets confused i.e. similar to old folks dementia. They are in their 40s. They also had a relatively mild case, allegedly, and "recovered" months ago.

    Keep in mind that players are often fathers, grandfathers, and obviously all of them are sons and grandsons... they could kill their parents, grandparents, wives parents... give it to their kids...


    Exactly. I don't have a relative in the league, but I'm on oxygen. So, if one of my healthy family members get it, they'll probably "recover". If they give it to me, not so much. It's not just about the numbers and the young'ns that will "recover" and be fine.

    Aros wrote:NFL put your damn pride aside and just officially announce what we already know:

    There will not be a 2020 NFL season this year.

    Sucks but it's for the best. Wait for a cure/vaccine and enjoy the extra time with family. We'll survive.


    Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. As much as I would love to have a season, I do think it's best that we don't this year.
    FPD
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1035
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:37 pm
    Location: BFE, MT


  • Cyrus12 wrote:Nhl is starting aug 1st. This will be a trial run. A few players get it and it'll have trickle down effect


    The real freak out will be if a player from one of the big leagues ends up in an ICU and possibly with permanent damage or dead. Higher probability with the coaches, but Rudy Gobert (NBA) testing positive was the unexpected catalyst for things shutting down fast. There are 1,600 NFL players. Some of them actually have some long term medical risks they're running with already. You infect enough of them and the probability of something really bad happening is not something they're going to want to deal with on the whole.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2546
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:56 pm


  • I had some optimism in June, but that's fading fast.

    Florio's been writing for months about protocol rumors, and one is that the NFL plans to test all Tier 1 (including all players and coaches) at least three times a week. Meanwhile the general public is again having tests rationed and if you get one, you could wait a week or more. That's not a good look for a nonessential activity.

    Second, states are pulling back on things. Inslee just banned all live entertainment. Santa Clara and LA both had to close their malls and hair salons again. Arizona is running out of ICU beds. So there's less tolerance for large entertainment, especially that which will require a huge number of tests.

    If football goes on at all. the safest way is to play exhibition games. Maybe in low-spread states that can afford extra tests. Giants vs. Jets? Patriots vs. Buffalo? At the mo, that looks like the available slate. Everyone else is in trouble.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5172
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


  • Again, tons of poor people have had to work through this and I havent heard a peep from anyone in the last 3 months saying that the essential people should get to stay home where it's safe.

    But rich athletes shouldn't have to play football with the best equipment, pharmaceuticals, and human resources money can buy? They can even opt out if they want!
    beastalamode
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 141
    Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:03 pm


  • You guys are acting like no football will save the athletes from getting sick. Theres still going to be athletes catching covid left and right, and I honestly dont think playing football will massively increase the covid rates among the players.
    beastalamode
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 141
    Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:03 pm


  • beastalamode wrote:Again, tons of poor people have had to work through this and I havent heard a peep from anyone in the last 3 months saying that the essential people should get to stay home where it's safe.

    But rich athletes shouldn't have to play football with the best equipment, pharmaceuticals, and human resources money can buy? They can even opt out if they want!


    A lot of poor people's jobs turned out to be the essential ones. And virtually none of them involve regular close contact with dozens of people. Which is known to be hazardous.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5172
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


  • Mizak wrote:https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29474507/72-nfl-players-tested-positive-coronavirus

    I’m getting pessimistic that we’ll even have a season.

    Any of them actually sick ?
    beaumaris
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 96
    Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:09 pm


  • balakoth wrote:This is getting ridiculous ROFL

    10k last week from influenza/pneumonia, 203 from covid.. Yet COVID is shutting down our country... This world is getting absurd with its logical thinking. :( :stirthepot:

    Qanon?
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5259
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm


  • Cyrus12 wrote:Nhl is starting aug 1st. This will be a trial run. A few players get it and itll have trickle down effect


    Again...

    Look to soccer in Europe folks. Been playing for 2 months. I've said it numerous times on the board and people dismiss it.

    Fans expected back by October.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 18689
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Nhl is starting aug 1st. This will be a trial run. A few players get it and itll have trickle down effect


    Again...

    Look to soccer in Europe folks. Been playing for 2 months. I've said it numerous times on the board and people dismiss it.

    Fans expected back by October.


    Yeah, but the European countries have coherent strategies in place involving testing, contact tracing, and mask wearing.

    The United States is failing miserably at all three!
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1086
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:12 pm


  • Tical21 wrote:
    balakoth wrote:This is getting ridiculous ROFL

    10k last week from influenza/pneumonia, 203 from covid.. Yet COVID is shutting down our country... This world is getting absurd with its logical thinking. :( :stirthepot:

    Qanon?


    AM radio talk show listener.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5738
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm
    Location: Taipei



  • 72 tested positive since this whole thing began. It isn’t like they are all symptomatic right now. This isn’t a lot and I don’t see any reported hospitalizations. That being said, I think all players should take a prorated salary accounting for any cancelled games. This way they can adjust the salary cap accordingly without impacting rosters too much. An added bonus is they will get a small dose of reality for what many workers have already gone through with RIFs and reduction in salary. May cooler heads prevail. Lots of unnecessary emotion and hyperbole on both ends of this thing.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 811
    Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:33 pm


  • They are going to get it either way in most cases
    Id love to see a season and I just don't really see weather it happens or not that it changes anything at all other than reducing the speed at which they get it
    So many levels to this it's crazy , I say play on but totally get the other views and ideas
    who knew itd take this long to make a vaccine
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 615
    Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:04 pm
    Location: The Burbs in Lacey


  • Who cares?....Most healthy people shed it. Even my high risk friend got it and 3 weeks later he is fine and he's 100 pounds overweight.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 36653
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm
    Location: The Tex-ASS


  • Largent80 wrote:Who cares?....Most healthy people shed it. Even my high risk friend got it and 3 weeks later he is fine and he's 100 pounds overweight.


    The NFL and NFLPA both intensely care. Go to Florio today and read the proposals being thrown around. The only thing the NFL seems to be real sure on is that camp starts and rookies have to be there in 72 hours.

    The whole thing looks like a chaotic mess.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5172
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


  • beastalamode wrote:You guys are acting like no football will save the athletes from getting sick. Theres still going to be athletes catching covid left and right, and I honestly dont think playing football will massively increase the covid rates among the players.



    Are u trolling?
    poly1274
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 525
    Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:13 pm


  • This is the saddest thread I’ve ever seen.

    Some of you want them to go risk their lives for your entertainment? That’s disgusting.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 21264
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 am
    Location: Tacoma, WA




It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online