72 NFL players tested positive for COVID-19

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yikes, and the large majority of players haven't even been getting tested yet.

Doesn't help that so many NFL players live in all these hotspots in the south, and more than likely haven't exactly been sheltering in place or doing what they need to do to not get Covid.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Gonna be a miserable fall and winter.

Probably no sports or some really diminished versions.

Schools are going to be jacked up all over the place.

Limited entertainment options outside the home for a large chunk of our population.

kf3339

Reaction score
Honestly, it's probably best not to have a football season this year. Even what level they do come up with will be a poor product on the field. You won't know when some virus outbreak will sideline a whole team that ends up having to forfeit a game. There will be miss-matches all thru the season. No eventual SB winner will be based on the best team the league can offer, but who is able to survive. That isn't an acceptable product to watch at all.

It's best to just cancel the season now and kill any false hope . Just saying.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's starting to look like a live season won't happen. It's not the playoffs, it's at the beginning.

The NFLPA has made this information public on its website, which also provides players a market-by-market look at how the virus has been spreading in cities where camps are scheduled to open later this month. The map on the site is based on 14-day averages of new positive tests and currently shows Miami as the "hottest" virus spot among NFL markets, with 4,164 average daily cases over the past two weeks. Close behind are Los Angeles, Arizona and Dallas.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/294 ... oronavirus

We obviously come into contact with two of those teams as it is let alone where people spend their offseason or go home to. As of now I'd guess that the Hawks and the 49ers feel "safest" playing against each other once everyone's in camp and assuming they can't go anywhere.

beastalamode

Reaction score
2.5 percent of NFL players have had covid so far, oh noes!

The link says that many players have tested positive TO DATE, which means the majority of them have already recovered. Guess what? None of those 72 got even close to dying, unlike the thing they do for a living which could kill them on any given play.

balakoth

Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous ROFL

10k last week from influenza/pneumonia, 203 from covid.. Yet COVID is shutting down our country... This world is getting absurd with its logical thinking. :( :stirthepot:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kf3339":21m5fb0d said:
Honestly, it's probably best not to have a football season this year. Even what level they do come up with will be a poor product on the field. You won't know when some virus outbreak will sideline a whole team that ends up having to forfeit a game. There will be miss-matches all thru the season. No eventual SB winner will be based on the best team the league can offer, but who is able to survive. That isn't an acceptable product to watch at all.

It's best to just cancel the season now and kill any false hope . Just saying.

As much as I love football, and if you talk to my wife I love it a little too much................I agree with you.

We're already seeing what these disaster of abbreviated seasons are looking like with Euro soccer, MLS and now the NHL, NBA and MLB trying to play covid shortened seasons for no other reason than cold hard cash.

The idea was the NFL had what these other leagues didn't have, time for the virus to calm down so they could hopefully play in some manner of normalcy. But that's out the window, the virus isn't even close to being flattened enough to deal with 1,000 players on a daily basis trying to keep them safe and tested.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Appyhawk":25ha7l8p said:
Just out of curiousity, how many times in the history of nfl play has there been a player fatality on the field of play?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... n-workouts

If I have a question like that, I Google it.

Edit: Before you point out that you said "NFL," let me head you off at the pass. If that is your distinction, just note that it is ridiculous, and misses the point that in fact, people die every year on the field.

beastalamode

Reaction score
Here's my problem with no season:

1. Low income "essential" workers being forced to work through the virus to make ends meet.

2. Higher income people who get to sit at home collecting 1k a week.

3. Elite income athletes trying to get the nfl season cancelled while still collecting money from the owners.

It's just not a good look. Why not play a game, make millions of dollars, and bring some happiness to all the low income people who are forced to work through this?

chris98251

Reaction score
beastalamode":27az0wic said:
Here's my problem with no season:

1. Low income "essential" workers being forced to work through the virus to make ends meet.

2. Higher income people who get to sit at home collecting 1k a week.

3. Elite income athletes trying to get the nfl season cancelled while still collecting money from the owners.

It's just not a good look. Why not play a game, make millions of dollars, and bring some happiness to all the low income people who are forced to work through this?

Really is something like this.

[youtube]e5MSynAEaZk[/youtube]

BocciHawk

Reaction score
beastalamode":1bhhmsqn said:
2.5 percent of NFL players have had covid so far, oh noes!

The link says that many players have tested positive TO DATE, which means the majority of them have already recovered. Guess what? None of those 72 got even close to dying, unlike the thing they do for a living which could kill them on any given play.

2.5 percent is high and suggests that everyone in the league will get sick if they push forward with a season.

Talk to the people with blood clots... I know someone that lost their sense of smell, most of their sense of taste, and has inexplicable tingling in their legs from time to time. This is four months after "recovering".

I know someone else that is often out of breath -- even though they are in shape -- and sometimes gets confused i.e. similar to old folks dementia. They are in their 40s. They also had a relatively mild case, allegedly, and "recovered" months ago.

Keep in mind that players are often fathers, grandfathers, and obviously all of them are sons and grandsons... they could kill their parents, grandparents, wives parents... give it to their kids...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
NFL put your damn pride aside and just officially announce what we already know:

There will not be a 2020 NFL season this year.

Sucks but it's for the best. Wait for a cure/vaccine and enjoy the extra time with family. We'll survive.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Nhl is starting aug 1st. This will be a trial run. A few players get it and itll have trickle down effect

FPD

Reaction score
BocciHawk":1htle1ul said:
2.5 percent is high and suggests that everyone in the league will get sick if they push forward with a season.

Talk to the people with blood clots... I know someone that lost their sense of smell, most of their sense of taste, and has inexplicable tingling in their legs from time to time. This is four months after "recovering".

I know someone else that is often out of breath -- even though they are in shape -- and sometimes gets confused i.e. similar to old folks dementia. They are in their 40s. They also had a relatively mild case, allegedly, and "recovered" months ago.

Keep in mind that players are often fathers, grandfathers, and obviously all of them are sons and grandsons... they could kill their parents, grandparents, wives parents... give it to their kids...

Exactly. I don't have a relative in the league, but I'm on oxygen. So, if one of my healthy family members get it, they'll probably "recover". If they give it to me, not so much. It's not just about the numbers and the young'ns that will "recover" and be fine.

Aros":1htle1ul said:
NFL put your damn pride aside and just officially announce what we already know:

There will not be a 2020 NFL season this year.

Sucks but it's for the best. Wait for a cure/vaccine and enjoy the extra time with family. We'll survive.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. As much as I would love to have a season, I do think it's best that we don't this year.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":v4eynrk6 said:
Nhl is starting aug 1st. This will be a trial run. A few players get it and it'll have trickle down effect

The real freak out will be if a player from one of the big leagues ends up in an ICU and possibly with permanent damage or dead. Higher probability with the coaches, but Rudy Gobert (NBA) testing positive was the unexpected catalyst for things shutting down fast. There are 1,600 NFL players. Some of them actually have some long term medical risks they're running with already. You infect enough of them and the probability of something really bad happening is not something they're going to want to deal with on the whole.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I had some optimism in June, but that's fading fast.

Florio's been writing for months about protocol rumors, and one is that the NFL plans to test all Tier 1 (including all players and coaches) at least three times a week. Meanwhile the general public is again having tests rationed and if you get one, you could wait a week or more. That's not a good look for a nonessential activity.

Second, states are pulling back on things. Inslee just banned all live entertainment. Santa Clara and LA both had to close their malls and hair salons again. Arizona is running out of ICU beds. So there's less tolerance for large entertainment, especially that which will require a huge number of tests.

If football goes on at all. the safest way is to play exhibition games. Maybe in low-spread states that can afford extra tests. Giants vs. Jets? Patriots vs. Buffalo? At the mo, that looks like the available slate. Everyone else is in trouble.

beastalamode

Reaction score
Again, tons of poor people have had to work through this and I havent heard a peep from anyone in the last 3 months saying that the essential people should get to stay home where it's safe.

But rich athletes shouldn't have to play football with the best equipment, pharmaceuticals, and human resources money can buy? They can even opt out if they want!

beastalamode

Reaction score
You guys are acting like no football will save the athletes from getting sick. Theres still going to be athletes catching covid left and right, and I honestly dont think playing football will massively increase the covid rates among the players.