Best TE in teams history?

seabowl

Reaction score
I was thinking about the best TE in the history of the Hawks and had a hard time coming up with a clear cut winner. Guys like Z Miller, J Stevens, M Tice, C Fauria were the ones that come to mind. Really seems it's been a position that the team has failed to secure a legitimate great TE and for any length of time.

Thoughts?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Miller. Stevens was on the Pittsburgh payroll or drunk in xl. Miller and Wilson had a good connection. Dissly has shown that connection but unfortunately he is Mr Glass.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham. Seahawks all time leader in receptions, yards and touchdowns by a TE. Made the Pro Bowl in 2/3 seasons as a Seahawk , and the season he didn't make the Pro Bowl ended prematurely with a knee injury.

grizbob

Reaction score
Well, if we're going with ancient history I'd go with MIke Tice. :D

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
KinesProf":1f0x95ig said:
Jimmy Graham. Seahawks all time leader in receptions, yards and touchdowns by a TE. Made the Pro Bowl in 2/3 seasons as a Seahawk , and the season he didn't make the Pro Bowl ended prematurely with a knee injury.

I actually forgot about Graham. I thought John Carlson had a shot during his first years.

xray

Reaction score
Graham , but he couldn't block .

CPHawk

Reaction score
Have we had the worst group of TE's of any NFL franchise? Miller and Tice our the best we have had?

RB, QB and OL have been as good as most. WR has been hit and miss, but solid. TE has left a lot to be desired.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
KinesProf":sxd38dbc said:

If Graham is the Hawks all time leader in any category, that just goes to show how much of a failure the position has been for the franchise.

getnasty

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":999upgy1 said:
KinesProf":999upgy1 said:

If Graham is the Hawks all time leader in any category, that just goes to show how much of a failure the position has been for the franchise.

Yeah pretty weak position in the franchise but Graham has been the best of them all.

chris98251

Reaction score
His best years were behind him when here but hands down Charlie Young.

DHawk

Reaction score
Depends on how you see the TE spot being used? I think the best all around TE we've had was Miller. Best receiving TE we've had is Graham. I'm rooting for Dissly to stay healthy because he's looked like he could be the real deal as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
DHawk":3lob5hqf said:
Depends on how you see the TE spot being used? I think the best all around TE we've had was Miller. Best receiving TE we've had is Graham. I'm rooting for Dissly to stay healthy because he's looked like he could be the real deal as well.

Young was a devastating Blocker and a great receiver before they had guys like Winslow , not as athletic as Winslow but was also not in a Generation that used the TE as we use them today, had he been in an offense today he would light it up I think.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
sadly it does come down to "past their prime" versions of Miller, Graham and Young. I'd say Miller as best all around TE. Graham as best receiving TE.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Graham was most likely the best but since our offensive line was so hindered we couldn't get the most out of his production.

I always thought the offensive line scheme failed our tight ends more than anything. Plenty of our offensive line players went off to other teams and were serviceable. If the talent you have doesn't work and you continuously have to cycle through players without any performance benefit, then the coaching/scheme is letting you down.

The other factor that limited our tight ends is the ball control focus of our offense. Russ just wasn't throwing the 50/50 balls very often to give them a chance. It seems he has gotten more trusting the last couple years but he still would rather take a loss of down rather than risk any sort of turnover.

I don't put the lack of all-star tight end performances directly on the tight ends we have had but more on the style of offense we run. I just wouldn't expect that even if we had the best TE in the game that we would be able to use them to the best of their ability. So much emphasis is put player competition and that doesn't seem to be the same for the coaching to find better use of the talent they have.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If you were to pick a least talented positional group historically for the Hawks, it'd probably be TE.

Miller was great, but his stats were pedestrian at best for the three years he was even halfway productive. 33 receptions and 5 TD's was his best year in Seattle.

Sorry, but I can't call that kind of production "best TE in team history."

So for as much as it pains me to say, it has to be Graham. 170 receptions and almost 20 TD's in three years.

sutz

Reaction score
The Seahawks have never really had an offensive system that featured the TE as a key offensive weapon.

We've had some good to great talent there, but never really utilized it a lot. Graham is probably the most productive when it comes to yards and points, but was never the "all around TE" that most of our coaches preferred. He thought of himself as an over-sized WR, and even held out in NO to get paid like one. When he came here, where Pete always emphasized a balance offensive attack, he never got the number of opportunities to do what he did in NO.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tice and Carlson and then a half of TE who could only catch -Graham.
We haven't missed his lack of blocking or salary have we?
His production?RW still puts up his usual numbers without him?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Miller. He made the team better. Tougher.

Graham was the best fantasy football tight end. But certainly not the best tight end. He was a straight liability as a blocker.