Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best TE in teams history?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Best TE in teams history?
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:55 am
  • I was thinking about the best TE in the history of the Hawks and had a hard time coming up with a clear cut winner. Guys like Z Miller, J Stevens, M Tice, C Fauria were the ones that come to mind. Really seems it's been a position that the team has failed to secure a legitimate great TE and for any length of time.

Thoughts?
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Re: Best TE in teams history?
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:32 am
  • Miller. Stevens was on the Pittsburgh payroll or drunk in xl. Miller and Wilson had a good connection. Dissly has shown that connection but unfortunately he is Mr Glass.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:20 am
  • Jimmy Graham. Seahawks all time leader in receptions, yards and touchdowns by a TE. Made the Pro Bowl in 2/3 seasons as a Seahawk , and the season he didn't make the Pro Bowl ended prematurely with a knee injury.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:26 am
  • Well, if we're going with ancient history I'd go with MIke Tice. :D
    grizbob
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:01 am
  • KinesProf wrote:Jimmy Graham. Seahawks all time leader in receptions, yards and touchdowns by a TE. Made the Pro Bowl in 2/3 seasons as a Seahawk , and the season he didn't make the Pro Bowl ended prematurely with a knee injury.

I actually forgot about Graham. I thought John Carlson had a shot during his first years.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:47 am
  • Graham , but he couldn't block .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:57 pm
  • Have we had the worst group of TE's of any NFL franchise? Miller and Tice our the best we have had?

RB, QB and OL have been as good as most. WR has been hit and miss, but solid. TE has left a lot to be desired.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:33 pm
  • KinesProf wrote:Jimmy Graham. Seahawks all time leader in receptions, yards and touchdowns by a TE. Made the Pro Bowl in 2/3 seasons as a Seahawk , and the season he didn't make the Pro Bowl ended prematurely with a knee injury.

If Graham is the Hawks all time leader in any category, that just goes to show how much of a failure the position has been for the franchise.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:54 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    KinesProf wrote:Jimmy Graham. Seahawks all time leader in receptions, yards and touchdowns by a TE. Made the Pro Bowl in 2/3 seasons as a Seahawk , and the season he didn't make the Pro Bowl ended prematurely with a knee injury.

If Graham is the Hawks all time leader in any category, that just goes to show how much of a failure the position has been for the franchise.

Yeah pretty weak position in the franchise but Graham has been the best of them all.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:14 pm
  • Wilson and Graham was unstoppable in the end zone.
    poly1274
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:36 pm
  • His best years were behind him when here but hands down Charlie Young.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:02 pm
  • Depends on how you see the TE spot being used? I think the best all around TE we've had was Miller. Best receiving TE we've had is Graham. I'm rooting for Dissly to stay healthy because he's looked like he could be the real deal as well.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:15 pm
  • DHawk wrote:Depends on how you see the TE spot being used? I think the best all around TE we've had was Miller. Best receiving TE we've had is Graham. I'm rooting for Dissly to stay healthy because he's looked like he could be the real deal as well.

Young was a devastating Blocker and a great receiver before they had guys like Winslow , not as athletic as Winslow but was also not in a Generation that used the TE as we use them today, had he been in an offense today he would light it up I think.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:13 pm
  • Itula Mili
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:20 am
  • sadly it does come down to "past their prime" versions of Miller, Graham and Young. I'd say Miller as best all around TE. Graham as best receiving TE.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 am
  • Graham was most likely the best but since our offensive line was so hindered we couldn't get the most out of his production.

I always thought the offensive line scheme failed our tight ends more than anything. Plenty of our offensive line players went off to other teams and were serviceable. If the talent you have doesn't work and you continuously have to cycle through players without any performance benefit, then the coaching/scheme is letting you down.

The other factor that limited our tight ends is the ball control focus of our offense. Russ just wasn't throwing the 50/50 balls very often to give them a chance. It seems he has gotten more trusting the last couple years but he still would rather take a loss of down rather than risk any sort of turnover.

I don't put the lack of all-star tight end performances directly on the tight ends we have had but more on the style of offense we run. I just wouldn't expect that even if we had the best TE in the game that we would be able to use them to the best of their ability. So much emphasis is put player competition and that doesn't seem to be the same for the coaching to find better use of the talent they have.
    BullHawk33
    NET Starter

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:42 am
  • If you were to pick a least talented positional group historically for the Hawks, it'd probably be TE.

Miller was great, but his stats were pedestrian at best for the three years he was even halfway productive. 33 receptions and 5 TD's was his best year in Seattle.

Sorry, but I can't call that kind of production "best TE in team history."

So for as much as it pains me to say, it has to be Graham. 170 receptions and almost 20 TD's in three years.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am
  • The Seahawks have never really had an offensive system that featured the TE as a key offensive weapon.

We've had some good to great talent there, but never really utilized it a lot. Graham is probably the most productive when it comes to yards and points, but was never the "all around TE" that most of our coaches preferred. He thought of himself as an over-sized WR, and even held out in NO to get paid like one. When he came here, where Pete always emphasized a balance offensive attack, he never got the number of opportunities to do what he did in NO.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:24 pm
  • Tice and Carlson and then a half of TE who could only catch -Graham.
    We haven't missed his lack of blocking or salary have we?
    His production?RW still puts up his usual numbers without him?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:31 pm
  • Miller. He made the team better. Tougher.

Graham was the best fantasy football tight end. But certainly not the best tight end. He was a straight liability as a blocker.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:33 am
  • Here's one I forgot, Travis McNeal.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:43 am
  • Miller, imo. He was as good as having an extra lineman. And never dropped the ball when it came his way.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:35 am
  • grizbob wrote:Well, if we're going with ancient history I'd go with MIke Tice. :D

Me too. :2thumbs:
    beaumaris
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:15 am
  • In team history??? Interesting question.

None of them have been really really good TEs. It’s a position the team has struggled with to find ‘that guy’over the whole life of the franchise. The team never has had ‘that guy’. This is the reason why we have been excited about Dissly and should be curious about Olsen.

My answer is Mike Tice,historically ( many won’t even remember how good he really was it was long ago), though in terms of modern Seahawks players Miller was better at his position than Graham b/c he could actually block, but was slow, Graham was a very large receiver playing inside and useless as a blocker but he was a red zone force when Bevell finally, after years of misuse, figured out how to use him properly. Two very different players.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:08 am
  • That Graham holds all those team records and only played 2 full seasons and 11 games in another is a damning indictment on the team history at the position...

I'd go with Miller as an all-round player, though he wasn't on the team for much longer.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:02 pm
  • Man, Zach Miller was so underutilized here, it was a joke. I get he was an awesome blocker, but he was an even better pass catcher. His time in Oakland was a testament to that. Blame Pete, John, and Cable for not teaching/drafting turd o-linemen, this causing them to take away their biggest receiving weapon to help the Inept.

Itula Mili was one who I always felt was underappreciated here. He was very solid.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:39 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Itula Mili

Oh you just HAD to trigger me.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:47 pm
  • KiwiHawk wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Itula Mili

What's your beef with Itula?
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:41 pm
  • Quoting Trent Dilfer.

Just catch the Freaking Ball!
    Last edited by KitsapGuy on Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: PG-13 Forum. Keep it clean. No F bombs.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:56 pm
  • Zach Miller but I'm hoping the best ever is on our current roster.
    BigMeach
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:58 am
  • I always liked Mike Tice as a blocker
    Johnny Dimes
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 pm
  • Jimmy Graham was a worthless tight end. Wouldn't block. Soft. Couldn't break a tackle. Only way he ever scored is if Russell hit him in the chest in the end zone, then he celebrated like he ran through the whole team. Pathetic.

Tice and Miller could at least play the position. If Miller had gotten 100 targets a season like Graham, this wouldn't even be a thread.
    Own The West
    NET Starter

Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:48 am
  • Anthony McCoy
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:17 pm
  • Wait a minute... TE or OT? In this case, OT means, "Outside Tackle", which is the position the Seahawks have staffed the last few decades. Chucka Knox (there's a song for that) started the OT position, and it's hard to remember the bleak 90's, the time between Knox and Holmgren. Holmgren actually tried to put real TEs on the field, but the power running game led to OT-TE hybrids at times too. I think they must be cheaper than real TEs. Pete Carroll has been about 50-50 on OT's vs TEs, with Jimmy Graham being the unusual case. Most of us agree it took Carroll/Bevell a couple wasted years to figure out how to even use Jimmy, as he was more WR than TE.

Mike Tice was perhaps the best of the Outside Tackles, and Zach Miller was the best OT-TE hybrid we ever had. Hey, we won SB48 with him on the field, IIRC, along with a super-crappy OL with rookies Bailey and Bowie, so that's an argument for Miller right there. Maybe Miller was the best OT too after all.

If Will Dissly can come back and stay healthy, he was sure a perfect OT with TE passing game abilities. Crossing my fingers and hedging my bets. If he can stay healthy the next 10 years, we'll be talking about his induction into the Seahawks Ring of Honor, and maybe more.

Props to those who dredged up blasts from the past like Itula Mili, who had some great games, but IIRC, was too-often injured, and Charle Young, from the Knox days. And Throwdown even tosses out Anthony McCoy, who DID have one Really Good Season for us at TE.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:30 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Quoting Trent Dilfer.

Just catch the Freaking Ball!

He couldn't *throw* a ball, though. Well, not in my Seattle team in a long ago APBA football sim game.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Absolutely. We were also too stupid to use him effectively. I bet he regrets having come here. :(
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:12 pm
  • Its Greg Olsen. lol
    Last edited by 5280Hawk on Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    5280Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:12 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    KinesProf wrote:Jimmy Graham. Seahawks all time leader in receptions, yards and touchdowns by a TE. Made the Pro Bowl in 2/3 seasons as a Seahawk , and the season he didn't make the Pro Bowl ended prematurely with a knee injury.

Absolutely. We were also too stupid to use him effectively. I bet he regrets having come here. :(

It was a career killer for him.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:59 pm
  • Jimmy still got paid, and had a seaplane commute to practice at one point. Having trouble shedding tears for him.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:40 pm
  • Jerramy Stevens - He could take a knee with the best of them:

Nunya
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:12 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Itula Mili

What's your beef with Itula?

Itula Mili was supposed to be THE guy at tight end for the Seahawks, but spent 5 seasons mostly injured and unproductive.

After 5 seasons of cashing Seattle's cheques without any noticeable production, he had the nerve to hold out, causing Mike Holmgren to trade down and select Jerramy Stevens at 28 instead of Ed Reed at 20.

So yeah, we would have had Ed Reed on the 2005 Super Bowl team instead of Jerramy Stevens. Consider what that would have meant to our first Super Bowl appearance to have Ed Reed at safety instead of Etric Pruitt.

So Itula Mili cost us a hall-of-fame safety AND a Super Bowl by being a selfish prick holding out for more money after happily taking the team's money while he wasn't fit to play.

He's my least favourite Seahawks player of all time, and will probably always be.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:24 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:

He somehow made the Pro Bowl despite not being used effectively? How do you fit those two thoughts in the same senten...

Never mind, forgot who I was talking to. ;)
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:09 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information