Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Camps to OPEN

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Camps to OPEN
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Camps to OPEN
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:53 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:NFL camps are going to open.

Great news if you ask me.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-tells-team ... 33136.html

Actually what is happening is the players all have to report. It's pretty likely that they'll report and then the NFLPA will tell the NFL that there isn't adequate testing or safety protocols in place and the players will have very limited small group workouts for a while until things get sorted... or until people get sick.
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:48 pm
  • All I can say is that I don't see this ending well.

Even Santa Clara, which is not doing terribly in relation to Ramsland, does have to like them ban "nonessential offices" at the mo. Most schools themselves won't be opening up. And I expect the "nonessential" to tighten some more.

So far so does the NFL: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -canceled/
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:06 pm
  • With camps open, they can start testing.

Testing thet can start quarantine protocols.

This us what european soccer has done.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:06 pm
  • the NFL is not essential beyond sites like this . Dammit !
    xray
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:26 pm
  • I would be surprised to see them get thru a week of camps without a few hits which will create a domino effect.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:28 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I would be surprised to see them get thru a week of camps without a few hits which will create a domino effect.

Isolatate the positives, test regularly, move on.

Not sure why this is a struggle
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:54 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I would be surprised to see them get thru a week of camps without a few hits which will create a domino effect.

That's what they were saying in January or February, so far it's worked great, right?
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:59 pm
  • This will all be over in two, three or four weeks.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:39 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I would be surprised to see them get thru a week of camps without a few hits which will create a domino effect.

That's what they were saying in January or February, so far it's worked great, right?

Im not sure what youre asking. It's working for 4 different professional soccer leagues in Europe?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:18 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Im not sure what youre asking. It's working for 4 different professional soccer leagues in Europe?

Europe.

USA is different.
    poly1274
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:29 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Yeah but last I checked Mr Orange isn't running Europe.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:39 pm
  • Quarantine the whole team for two weeks, even from family. Then start contact drills.

It sounds harsh and mean, but if the choice is between strict quarantines across the NFL, or they don't play and don't get paid....how many players would choose not to get paid? I suspect most of them have lifestyles to maintain....

Aren't most of the contracts written as pay per game? Are there contractual protections for a situation like a pandemic?
    Torc
    NET Rookie

Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:22 am
  • Torc wrote:Quarantine the whole team for two weeks, even from family. Then start contact drills.

It sounds harsh and mean, but if the choice is between strict quarantines across the NFL, or they don't play and don't get paid....how many players would choose not to get paid? I suspect most of them have lifestyles to maintain....

Aren't most of the contracts written as pay per game? Are there contractual protections for a situation like a pandemic?

1st. That's unfair for some teams while some practice and some don't.. if that's the case, they are probably gonna be discreet and not tell everyone that someone got tested for covid-19

2. Even if you quarantine the whole team, some people will secretly train and break rules.
    poly1274
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:14 am
  • poly1274 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Europe.

USA is different.

This isnt a national issue.. this is how the sports did it.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:24 am
  • poly1274 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Europe.

USA is different.

Exactly.

Our curves keep going up. That's exactly not what's going on in Europe.

Not only does American football require more contact, it requires more people.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:54 am
  • This is an ongoing time of loss. How do you “heal” when things aren’t under control? And how soothing is the season when we know the push is just to get to the playoffs and the associated revenue?

But … but … but … what about baseball in South Korea and Japan? What about soccer in Europe? This is why we can’t have nice things like sports. We rushed to get things reopened and never, not even remotely, got the virus under control as a country. Those nations where sports are being played? They did the hard part, listened to the scientists and now are able to track and isolate flareups. MLB is attempting to open a 30-team sport, all around the country without quarantine, without those abilities.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/co ... r-BB16VRjh
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:59 am
  • Please refresh my memory - in the Cheney, WA days wasn't Seahawks training camp done pretty much in a bubble? Dorms for the players to sleep, all day spent doing training camp stuff, meals at the cafeteria, and such? Seems like if they brought everyone in, tested them for say a week while everyone is quarantined, then released them into the training camp bubble that this would be eminently doable. They could have full contact practice with no 'Rona concerns at all. It just wouldn't be the luxury version of training camp they've gotten used to since the Vmac was built, but sacrifices must sometimes be made in exchange for the high pay.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:51 am

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:14 pm
  • Several NFL players took to Twitter around noon Eastern on Sunday to blast the NFL for what the players say is the lack of a coherent plan to keep them healthy while having a safe and successful season amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

In tweets that were obviously part of a coordinated campaign, players including Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, J.J. Watt and Stefon Diggs said the NFL’s planning has been unacceptable.

Wilson wrote, “I am concerned. My wife is pregnant. NFL training camp is about to start. And there’s still No Clear Plan on Player Health & Family Safety. We want to play football but we also want to protect our loved ones.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -campaign/

EDIT: Lots of players under this tag https://twitter.com/search?q=%23wewantt ... yped_query
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:21 pm
  • If and when they do actually open camp we better figure out a way to film it, cause that will probably be our season.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:08 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Europe.

USA is different.

Exactly.

Whats that have to do with testing the player before training?

Britain is a mess.. biggest spectator league in sports is almost finished their season there.. less than 25 positives.

Its amazing how easily someone can convince themselves something can't be done.

Players want a plan. So did soccer. They got it. Pretty quickly.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:29 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Europe.

USA is different.

Exactly.

Whats that have to do with testing the player before training?

Britain is a mess.. biggest spectator league in sports is almost finished their season there.. less than 25 positives.

Its amazing how easily someone can convince themselves something can't be done.

Players want a plan. So did soccer. They got it. Pretty quickly.

Except we are in a country where the President wants to kill off most the population by ignoring the Virus.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:35 pm
  • What's really sad is that the stars are the ones complaining about the situation for the most part, not the rooks. Russ and DeMarcus are afraid about their pregnant wives, ok then dont be around them for 4 months. Harsh? Some times tough choices must be made if you wanna make big money.

I guarantee you 90 percent of the rooks wanna play, they know their nfl window is small and they wanna cash in. If they dont play this year it will be basically 20+ rooks in camp next year.

Again it's the privileged ones that have made bank who want out, not the young unproven players.
    beastalamode
    NET Rookie

Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:37 pm
  • Not a good look, rich privilege.

How many essential workers with pregnant wives have no choice but to work thru this crisis?
    beastalamode
    NET Rookie

Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:45 pm
  • beastalamode wrote:Not a good look, rich privilege.

How many essential workers with pregnant wives have no choice but to work thru this crisis?

when was sports essential?

The players don't have to show up, if the league isnt keeping them safe, they shouldn't show up.

DK Metcalf is a 2nd year guy and said something, its not just the stars. If they aren't safe, they shouldn't play.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:08 am
  • i get a feeling that some of the star players will refuse to show up unless the NFL lays out a plan of virus safety that makes sense to everyone .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:15 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    beastalamode wrote:Not a good look, rich privilege.

The players don't have to show up, if the league isnt keeping them safe, they shouldn't show up.

DK Metcalf is a 2nd year guy and said something, its not just the stars. If they aren't safe, they shouldn't play.

That's correct . Sports is entertainment and not a necessity . Movie and TV productions have been suspended long ago because of the virus . None of that is essential .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:31 am
  • xray wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:
    beastalamode wrote:Not a good look, rich privilege.

That's correct . Sports is entertainment and not a necessity . Movie and TV productions have been suspended long ago because of the virus . None of that is essential .

I'd say for some people that sports is a religion and religion has been made essential. So there's that. If people can gather to sing songs and pray (something that is easily doable in your home quarantined) to soothe their psych, then I'm not sure why sports aren't being made essential for the large group that uses sport to ease their psyche.

But as an aside I think opening both churches and sports in an out of control pandemic is foolish. Someone needs to step up and say: " Hey people of the US, we will only open things up if you can collectively get your testing positivity rate down to less that 5%. Until you do that, nothing normal happens. So take some responsibility and wash your hands, stay at home as much as you can and wear masks when in busy places. Enough already."
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:38 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:

Well so far we have seen 7 months of the federal government dropping the ball at pretty much every single possible turn with this crisis... and you're expecting it to suddenly become perfect just before football? Give me a break.

Football isn't happening this year.
    QuickLightning
    NET Starter

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:26 am
  • Not one person in this thread is sticking up for essential workers. I've never seen so much coddling of rich people in one place, the excuses being made for them are hilarious!

Meanwhile poor people are being forced to:

pick your fruits and veggies

make your food for you at restaurants while they are surrounded by others

drive you places

deliver you packages after spending their days in warehouses surrounded by others
    beastalamode
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:53 pm
  • beastalamode wrote:Not one person in this thread is sticking up for essential workers. I've never seen so much coddling of rich people in one place, the excuses being made for them are hilarious!

drive you places

deliver you packages after spending their days in warehouses surrounded by others

well largely because farm work, warehouse work, restaurant work is unrelated to football and this is a football forum.

The biggest disregard in this whole business has been to health care workers if you want to talk seriously about this. It's been estimated that over 1000 doctors and nurses have died globally of COVID19. That's a pretty big carnage for non-combatants merely doing their jobs to try to save peoples lives. They must be sick to death watching what's going on in Miami, Houston and Phoenix.

But back to football season: if we want it to come back, a serious reckoning needs to be had. And time is running out. EU soccer leagues came back because people followed health recommendations and got their test positivity rates down low enough to meet WHO guidelines.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:54 pm
  • beastalamode wrote:Not one person in this thread is sticking up for essential workers. I've never seen so much coddling of rich people in one place, the excuses being made for them are hilarious!

drive you places

I am an essential worker, I work in the emergency department of a hospital in the South sound. The longer this spreads the longer I’m at risk. Thats why I’m saying we shouldn’t do any of this, nothing, nada, zilch. I wish we were still on lockdown and forced everyone to wear a mask as well.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:17 pm
  • Also what do you think happens with these delivery people, and grocery store people during game day? They get to run around more than usual and expose themselves to this potentially. So I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:06 pm
  • The season is happening.

NFL and the players union just came to an agreement on testing, and the NBA just announced that ZERO out of 346 players tested positive in the latest round of tests.
    beastalamode
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:12 pm
  • beastalamode wrote:The season is happening.

NFL and the players union just came to an agreement on testing, and the NBA just announced that ZERO out of 346 players tested positive in the latest round of tests.

Are those from the CDC or the WH numbers?
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:01 pm

drive you places

Whats that have to do with this?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:01 pm
  • Espn website
    beastalamode
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:02 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    beastalamode wrote:The season is happening.

Are those from the CDC or the WH numbers?

COVID-19 is a political disease.....period. We can "beat out gums together" until Christmas and not resolve how humanity ought to react to this disease.
    Bigpumpkin
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:03 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    beastalamode wrote:Not one person in this thread is sticking up for essential workers. I've never seen so much coddling of rich people in one place, the excuses being made for them are hilarious!

drive you places

It shows how many people give no s***s about poor people, yet have bleeding hearts about rich people who can afford the best medical treatment money can buy. I mean people SAY they care, but they only say that when their friends are close enough to hear. So virtuous!
    beastalamode
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 pm
  • beastalamode wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    beastalamode wrote:Not one person in this thread is sticking up for essential workers. I've never seen so much coddling of rich people in one place, the excuses being made for them are hilarious!

drive you places

It shows how many people give no s***s about poor people, yet have bleeding hearts about rich people who can afford the best medical treatment money can buy. I mean people SAY they care, but they only say that when their friends are close enough to hear. So virtuous!

No it doesnt..

This is a football forum, people talking about football. Its context is always far removed from real life, as is the discussions surrounding it.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:59 am
  • Florio's saying he heard there won't be any preseason games, whereas FieldGulls is saying there will be one preseason game only. All players/core personnel are supposed to be tested daily and any positive case is supposed to go on modified IR for three weeks, test negative, and then return to practice.

It's akin to what the White House has been doing in terms of testing. But even there, there have been cases. Its by no means foolproof. There still isn't a plan on what happens when someone pops positive right after a game in which they were involved in a scrum pile. It takes 3-5 days for positives to even register, so what happens to all those guys in the meantime?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:04 am
  • Its a pandemic... of course there will be cases. But routine testing and isolation procedures will minimize the numbers drastically.

NHL has done a good job so far, as well.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:09 am
  • Yeah, god forbit we talk football on a FOOTBALL FORUM. I guess that means we don't care :?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:33 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:Florio's saying he heard there won't be any preseason games, whereas FieldGulls is saying there will be one preseason game only. All players/core personnel are supposed to be tested daily and any positive case is supposed to go on modified IR for three weeks, test negative, and then return to practice.

It's akin to what the White House has been doing in terms of testing. But even there, there have been cases. Its by no means foolproof. There still isn't a plan on what happens when someone pops positive right after a game in which they were involved in a scrum pile. It takes 3-5 days for positives to even register, so what happens to all those guys in the meantime?

Why would they test right after a game. Testing should be done remotely, before accessing the main facility. Like all things in life, there are no guarantees. To answer your question, I would imagine when they pop a positive, they would be isolated for a period of time deemed sufficient by a NFLPA physician and the team doctor.

Other sports are up and running.
    12th Dimension
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:06 pm
  • 12th Dimension wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:Florio's saying he heard there won't be any preseason games, whereas FieldGulls is saying there will be one preseason game only. All players/core personnel are supposed to be tested daily and any positive case is supposed to go on modified IR for three weeks, test negative, and then return to practice.

Why would they test right after a game. Testing should be done remotely, before accessing the main facility. Like all things in life, there are no guarantees. To answer your question, I would imagine when they pop a positive, they would be isolated for a period of time deemed sufficient by a NFLPA physician and the team doctor.

Other sports are up and running.

And doing it exactly as you described.

Not sure why its not sinking in with some.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:22 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:

https://twitter.com/dkm14/status/1284907099747540992

Talk about a "fear factor"!!! Big strong Professional NFL players totally afraid of a disease that hasn't killed one NFL player all year!! Even those who have tested positive have not been hospitalized ....to my knowledge. The average age of someone killed by this disease is 78 years old.
    Bigpumpkin
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Its a pandemic... of course there will be cases. But routine testing and isolation procedures will minimize the numbers drastically.

NHL has done a good job so far, as well.

With today's PFT article it makes a big difference.

If they play just 1 game out of the entire season, they are entitled to all their salary for this year. IMO with this factor being in place, I think they are going to shut down this season, unless there's an agreement from both sides meaning how much money they will get paid.
    poly1274
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:48 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:

https://twitter.com/dkm14/status/1284907099747540992

Talk about a "fear factor"!!! Big strong Professional NFL players totally afraid of a disease that hasn't killed one NFL player all year!! Even those who have tested positive have not been hospitalized ....to my knowledge. The average age of someone killed by this disease is 78 years old.

+1 Agree with you and also some of the players are so worried about it, but they want to play football and also get paid. There are people that are laid off in America because of the covid, and these selfish babies want everything right to them.
    poly1274
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:57 am
  • This is the least excited I've been for a season in as long as I can remember. I'm already mentally preparing for the talk of covid overshadowing the games. Don't get me wrong, I miss football. This all just feels like an unnecessary head ache for a kids game.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:30 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information