Camps to OPEN

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2k53dejw said:
NFL camps are going to open.

Great news if you ask me.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-tells-team ... 33136.html

Actually what is happening is the players all have to report. It's pretty likely that they'll report and then the NFLPA will tell the NFL that there isn't adequate testing or safety protocols in place and the players will have very limited small group workouts for a while until things get sorted... or until people get sick.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
All I can say is that I don't see this ending well.

Even Santa Clara, which is not doing terribly in relation to Ramsland, does have to like them ban "nonessential offices" at the mo. Most schools themselves won't be opening up. And I expect the "nonessential" to tighten some more.

So far so does the NFL: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -canceled/

Uncle Si

Reaction score
With camps open, they can start testing.

Testing thet can start quarantine protocols.

This us what european soccer has done.

xray

Reaction score
the NFL is not essential beyond sites like this . Dammit !

chris98251

Reaction score
I would be surprised to see them get thru a week of camps without a few hits which will create a domino effect.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":15ip77ym said:
I would be surprised to see them get thru a week of camps without a few hits which will create a domino effect.

Isolatate the positives, test regularly, move on.

Not sure why this is a struggle

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":8oxj35nz said:
chris98251":8oxj35nz said:

That's what they were saying in January or February, so far it's worked great, right?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":2g0fb8bx said:
Uncle Si":2g0fb8bx said:
chris98251":2g0fb8bx said:

That's what they were saying in January or February, so far it's worked great, right?

Im not sure what youre asking. It's working for 4 different professional soccer leagues in Europe?

poly1274

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3nw2xu6k said:
chris98251":3nw2xu6k said:
Uncle Si":3nw2xu6k said:
chris98251":3nw2xu6k said:

Im not sure what youre asking. It's working for 4 different professional soccer leagues in Europe?

Europe.

USA is different.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3hyqp22n said:
chris98251":3hyqp22n said:
Uncle Si":3hyqp22n said:
chris98251":3hyqp22n said:

Yeah but last I checked Mr Orange isn't running Europe.

Torc

Reaction score
Quarantine the whole team for two weeks, even from family. Then start contact drills.

It sounds harsh and mean, but if the choice is between strict quarantines across the NFL, or they don't play and don't get paid....how many players would choose not to get paid? I suspect most of them have lifestyles to maintain....

Aren't most of the contracts written as pay per game? Are there contractual protections for a situation like a pandemic?

poly1274

Reaction score
Torc":22mx4605 said:
Quarantine the whole team for two weeks, even from family. Then start contact drills.

It sounds harsh and mean, but if the choice is between strict quarantines across the NFL, or they don't play and don't get paid....how many players would choose not to get paid? I suspect most of them have lifestyles to maintain....

Aren't most of the contracts written as pay per game? Are there contractual protections for a situation like a pandemic?

1st. That's unfair for some teams while some practice and some don't.. if that's the case, they are probably gonna be discreet and not tell everyone that someone got tested for covid-19

2. Even if you quarantine the whole team, some people will secretly train and break rules.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
poly1274":kgc8iy7i said:
Uncle Si":kgc8iy7i said:
chris98251":kgc8iy7i said:
Uncle Si":kgc8iy7i said:

Europe.

USA is different.

This isnt a national issue.. this is how the sports did it.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
poly1274":15tnuk5e said:
Uncle Si":15tnuk5e said:
chris98251":15tnuk5e said:
Uncle Si":15tnuk5e said:

Europe.

USA is different.

Exactly.

Our curves keep going up. That's exactly not what's going on in Europe.

Not only does American football require more contact, it requires more people.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
This is an ongoing time of loss. How do you “heal” when things aren’t under control? And how soothing is the season when we know the push is just to get to the playoffs and the associated revenue?

But … but … but … what about baseball in South Korea and Japan? What about soccer in Europe? This is why we can’t have nice things like sports. We rushed to get things reopened and never, not even remotely, got the virus under control as a country. Those nations where sports are being played? They did the hard part, listened to the scientists and now are able to track and isolate flareups. MLB is attempting to open a 30-team sport, all around the country without quarantine, without those abilities.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/co ... r-BB16VRjh

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Please refresh my memory - in the Cheney, WA days wasn't Seahawks training camp done pretty much in a bubble? Dorms for the players to sleep, all day spent doing training camp stuff, meals at the cafeteria, and such? Seems like if they brought everyone in, tested them for say a week while everyone is quarantined, then released them into the training camp bubble that this would be eminently doable. They could have full contact practice with no 'Rona concerns at all. It just wouldn't be the luxury version of training camp they've gotten used to since the Vmac was built, but sacrifices must sometimes be made in exchange for the high pay.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Several NFL players took to Twitter around noon Eastern on Sunday to blast the NFL for what the players say is the lack of a coherent plan to keep them healthy while having a safe and successful season amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

In tweets that were obviously part of a coordinated campaign, players including Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, J.J. Watt and Stefon Diggs said the NFL’s planning has been unacceptable.

Wilson wrote, “I am concerned. My wife is pregnant. NFL training camp is about to start. And there’s still No Clear Plan on Player Health & Family Safety. We want to play football but we also want to protect our loved ones.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -campaign/

EDIT: Lots of players under this tag https://twitter.com/search?q=%23wewantt ... yped_query