Michael Bennett retires

James in PA

Reaction score
Didn’t care for some of his shenanigans, but what a great player. That 2013 team was so special. Sadly, so long ago now.

(Edit: my bad, if someone wants to move this to the NFL forum)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
James in PA":mgecgg1n said:
Didn’t care for some of his shenanigans, but what a great player. That 2013 team was so special. Sadly, so long ago now.

Like Sherman and Earl, the shenanigans was part of what made Bennett great. He needed that controversy and chip on his shoulder to fuel him.

On the negative side, also like Sherm and Earl it's what led to Bennett's departure.

Dude balled out and was one of the key leaders on one of the greatest defenses of all time, so I've got nothing but love for Mikey B.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qiff4st said:
Like Sherman and Earl, the shenanigans was part of what made Bennett great. He needed that controversy and chip on his shoulder to fuel him.

On the negative side, also like Sherm and Earl it's what led to Bennett's departure.

Dude balled out and was one of the key leaders on one of the greatest defenses of all time, so I've got nothing but love for Mikey B.

Precisely my thoughts. Thanks for the memories Bennett.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Yeah for some reason a lot of players have the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.. but later on when maturity sets in, it's.. yeah I had it pretty good over there. Tough lesson.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Super bowl champ. Only “active” Hawk I had the privilege of meeting. Think it was the bye week after the Titans a few years ago. He was all banged up and hurting. A true warrior. Hope he finds his next endeavor rewarding.

endzorn

Reaction score
I love Bennett. His teammates seemed to love and respect him and that’s all I care about.

poly1274

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vx0lwdo said:
James in PA":2vx0lwdo said:

There's a big difference between Earl/Bennett and Sherman.

Sherman is not even a great CB. Just an average Corner.

Bennett was good and worked hard. Just money hungry since he was undrafted, and didn't earn that much until he got his second contract extension with Seattle.

Also he got traded because of his big mouth, but regardless he was a great DE in Seattle.

themunn

Reaction score
poly1274":2b5fw8vo said:

This is some serious revisionist history - Sherm was the best CB in the league for 5+ years, arguably he's still the best corner right now, albeit he's certainly on the decline.

poly1274

Reaction score
Sherman didn’t face #1 WRs and only stayed one side of the field. Julio Jones even OBD owned Sherman when he was in Seattle

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
poly1274":11s696mm said:
Sgt. Largent":11s696mm said:
James in PA":11s696mm said:

Bennett was good and worked hard. Just money hungry since he was undrafted, and didn't earn that much until he got his second contract extension with Seattle.

Also he got traded because of his big mouth, but regardless he was a great DE in Seattle.
Sherman an average CB? You're joking right?

If six pro-bowl appearances and three first team all-pro selections is your definition of average you need to get your eyes examined. In fact the only years he didn't make probowl were his rookie season, which arguably he was snubbed. He was elite by every metric. He didn't start right away either. The other years he wasn't selected were due to injury and injury recovery. He busted his achilles tendon in 2017. That injury takes time to recover from, and it showed in 2018 where he obviously wasn't an elite CB, just decent. In 2019 on the other hand, Sherman once again looked like the member of the LOB. He was a second team all-pro, and he arguably got snubbed for that position. PFF for example gave him the highest rating of any CB and put him on their own all-pro team.

If this is average, I want more average on the Seahawks.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3f5maqe6 said:
Yeah for some reason a lot of players have the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.. but later on when maturity sets in, it's.. yeah I had it pretty good over there. Tough lesson.

He didnt miss out on anything by leaving. Hawks havent done anything since he left.

Have a happy retirement Mike.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
poly1274":3pwopxbs said:
Sherman didn’t face #1 WRs and only stayed one side of the field. Julio Jones even OBD owned Sherman when he was in Seattle

AJ Green disagrees with you.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sherm average? Yet again, another reminder why I rarely come on here these day.
He's one of the best of his generation, PERIOD.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
poly1274":3r0fir1i said:
Sgt. Largent":3r0fir1i said:
James in PA":3r0fir1i said:

It's hard to write so many incorrect things in such a short post......but damn it, you did it.

Sherman's #1 in active DB's with Talib with 35 interceptions, and is well on his way to the HOF. So for such an average DB, he sure is good.

I was referring to their volatile personalities when I said these three guys were the same. They burned too hot and wore out their welcomes. So yes, Earl, Sherm and Bennett were the same in that respect.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
poly1274":1a1ae9bx said:
Sgt. Largent":1a1ae9bx said:
James in PA":1a1ae9bx said:

He got traded because Seattle reached a contractual stalemate and they knew they were not going to pay him. Sherman wanted more but that would seriously hamstring the cash for the organization. At some point, when you want more money, you have to go where the market tells you to go.

Sherman's mouth is all part of his marketing. He is a smart guy and when you are on his side, he is great to have around. When the sides are separated, well, the language has a little more bite.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I wish Michael Bennett the best of luck in his retirement.

I liked that guy.

I enjoyed his press conferences, I enjoyed watching him ride a bicycle, and I especially liked watching him play for the Seahawks.

poly1274

Reaction score
BullHawk33":3g13yt7b said:
poly1274":3g13yt7b said:
Sgt. Largent":3g13yt7b said:
James in PA":3g13yt7b said:

He got traded because Seattle reached a contractual stalemate and they knew they were not going to pay him. Sherman wanted more but that would seriously hamstring the cash for the organization. At some point, when you want more money, you have to go where the market tells you to go.

Sherman's mouth is all part of his marketing. He is a smart guy and when you are on his side, he is great to have around. When the sides are separated, well, the language has a little more bite.

He got traded because Seattle reached a contractual stalemate and they knew they were not going to pay him? They re-signed him a 3 year deal in 2016 and traded him.

poly1274

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3llhnpz3 said:
poly1274":3llhnpz3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3llhnpz3 said:
James in PA":3llhnpz3 said:

Sherman an average CB? You're joking right?

If six pro-bowl appearances and three first team all-pro selections is your definition of average you need to get your eyes examined. In fact the only years he didn't make probowl were his rookie season, which arguably he was snubbed. He was elite by every metric. He didn't start right away either. The other years he wasn't selected were due to injury and injury recovery. He busted his achilles tendon in 2017. That injury takes time to recover from, and it showed in 2018 where he obviously wasn't an elite CB, just decent. In 2019 on the other hand, Sherman once again looked like the member of the LOB. He was a second team all-pro, and he arguably got snubbed for that position. PFF for example gave him the highest rating of any CB and put him on their own all-pro team.

If this is average, I want more average on the Seahawks.

@ Sgt. Largent many INT doesn't mean they are a great corner/safety.
Probowl means nothing in my book.

2013-2016 Seattle had a good pass rush, and that helped average corner's such as Sherman and Maxwell out. With an average Pass Rush, They wouldn't stand out at all. 2018 Sherman was worse than average, without Bosa and Ford.