Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jamal Adams Traded to Seattle!

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Jamal Adams Traded to Seattle!
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:46 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:Our defensive line appeared to completely dominate one game last season (@SF), which happened to coincide with SF having their key receiving targets injured. That's one good indication that our secondary play impacts the defensive line outcomes significantly and the causation last year went from back to front much of the time.

That was the game that Clowney practically, single handily beat the Niners himself. Guess who we havent signed?
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:56 pm
  • One game isn't worth what Clowney wants.

Guess who also hasn't signed Clowney.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:12 pm
  • Great post. Another thing people are forgetting is that NFL front offices devalue future draft picks by 1 round.

i.e.: trading the 2021 1st round pick means the Jets are getting 2nd round value out of it. Most likely it will be a late 1st round pick which lowers it's value even further.

For 2022, the Jets get "late" 3rd round value.

THEN, there is the possibility of no College Games in 2020, and the pick values drop even further. Mel Kiper and Todd McShay will be out of a job because there's no film to review. Add to that, injury rates climbing for players with a lack of structured conditioning, and zero reps... draft pick value drops like a Skyscraper Turd on to 150 degree concrete.

Nobody will know who's ranked where, and the 2021 NFL Draft will be a crap shoot.

But like the Genius he is, John Schneider asked for a 3rd round pick in return to make other GMs overlook the future draft pick devaluation. Misdirection. :snack:

Nunya wrote:Draft pick points:

1st round, 6th pick = 1600 points (Adam's pick by Jets)

1st Round, 22 pick = 780 points (2021 draft)
    1st Round, 22 pick = 780 points (2022 draft)
    3rd round, 22 pick = 160 points (2021 draft
    TOTAL = 1720 points

So basically, it looks like the Seahawks broke even in the draft department. If they rank later than 22, then the deal becomes better (per draft points) for the Seahawks. If they rank earlier than 22, then the deal becomes worse.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/nfl-draft-pick-points-chart/

Cap Space:

McDougald, 8 year vet, 2020 Cap hit = $4.1 million cap hit. McDougald becomes a UFA after 2020.
    Adams = reported as a $3.6 mil cap hit in 2020 and $9.8 mil in 2021

So, basically, the Seahawks got Adams $500k cheaper than McDougald for 2020, though likely more expensive in 2021. However, if he is all he is suppose to be, it will be well worth it.

The more I look into this trade, the more I like. On the surface it looked bad, but deep down, I think it was a great trade.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ad%20money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-je ... ald-12835/
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:52 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Great post. Another thing people are forgetting is that NFL front offices devalue future draft picks by 1 round.

i.e.: trading the 2021 1st round pick means the Jets are getting 2nd round value out of it. Most likely it will be a late 1st round pick which lowers it's value even further.

For 2022, the Jets get "late" 3rd round value.

THEN, there is the possibility of no College Games in 2020, and the pick values drop even further. Mel Kiper and Todd McShay will be out of a job because there's no film to review. Add to that, injury rates climbing for players with a lack of structured conditioning, and zero reps... draft pick value drops like a Skyscraper Turd on to 150 degree concrete.

Nobody will know who's ranked where, and the 2021 NFL Draft will be a crap shoot.

But like the Genius he is, John Schneider asked for a 3rd round pick in return to make other GMs overlook the future draft pick devaluation. Misdirection. :snack:

TOTAL = 1720 points

So basically, it looks like the Seahawks broke even in the draft department. If they rank later than 22, then the deal becomes better (per draft points) for the Seahawks. If they rank earlier than 22, then the deal becomes worse.

Cap Space:

McDougald, 8 year vet, 2020 Cap hit = $4.1 million cap hit. McDougald becomes a UFA after 2020.
    Adams = reported as a $3.6 mil cap hit in 2020 and $9.8 mil in 2021

So, basically, the Seahawks got Adams $500k cheaper than McDougald for 2020, though likely more expensive in 2021. However, if he is all he is suppose to be, it will be well worth it.

The more I look into this trade, the more I like. On the surface it looked bad, but deep down, I think it was a great trade.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ad%20money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-je ... ald-12835/

This article is very interesting. Like you said, it suggests that a draft pick for next years draft is devalued by 1 round, but a pick 2 years out is still only devalued by 1 round. The fact that Seattle and New England both trade down regularly matches up with this article too.

http://www.profootballlogic.com/article ... aft-picks/
    vonstout
    NET Starter

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:04 pm
  • I just hope we don't become the Browns and end up with top ten picks the next two years. :242735: I know it is highly unlikely with Russ behind center. One case of covid spreading through camp though...
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:52 am
  • Imagine:

Imagine what playing the 9ers twice a year would be like if they had snagged him.

Bunch of “what ifs” to consider but what if he was a 49er and we couldn’t fix our Oline issues.

This kid is a game changer.

Imagine Russ trying to elude this kid on Blitz, imagine him roaming free in the backfield while Russ scrambles for his life.

Not having to play against him twice a year makes the cost of the trade much less expensive IMHO.

IM IN.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:17 am
  • This, times 10 ^^^^
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:42 am
  • I am going to be as optimistic as Soulfish on this one.

We came very close to getting homefield vs the 49ers last year. This year we are better.

Last year a pass defense with a DVOA rank of 26??

Almost any player added to the mix would improve that, and we got an All Pro.

Sure SS is diminished in value everywhere else, but it matters here. Look at the impact Kam had, then look at how we played without him. (I don't consider Adams the equal of Kam but the point stands).

Does this get us another SB? Probably not. The way Carroll coaches almost assures we lose somewhere along the road in the playoffs. But if we win a game in the playoffs that isn't a wildcard, this is a win. Because we haven't done that since the SB loss.

Will it make us competitive with the 49ers? We already were competitive with them.

It makes us better now though.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:29 am
  • Absolutely makes the team better immediately. Also, I love hearing the guys from NY talking about him. How good a teammate he is, and how incredibly versatile he is. He's not just some "box safety" like some want to make him out to be in the media. I'll never argue they that that didn't give up a haul, but to get one of the best in the league, you gotta' give up a lot. And him NOT on the Niners? Hell yes.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Jamal Adams Traded to Seattle!
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:30 am
  • A must watch.

A little something for everyone in this short debate, but all good points.

6.5 minutes, worth your time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:46 pm

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:51 pm
  • And you know the Niners were absolutely not interested because you work for the team?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:02 pm
  • 94Smith wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:This, times 10 ^^^^

49ers were not in on the Adams trade talks. I think the Cowboys were your chief competition. Jamal Adams was never going to be a 49er

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-never-called-jets-talk-jamal-adams-trade-john-lynch-says

There were plenty of rumors floating around that the 9ers were in the mix.

But it sure don’t matter now.

My point was 100% speculative, so still valid.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:30 pm
  • I think the people that don't like this trade are quickly finding themselves on an island along with the insane corona virus deniers. 150,000 dead what a complete and utter failure of leadership.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:02 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:And you know the Niners were absolutely not interested because you work for the team?

No read the article. Lynch has previously admitted interest in OBJ, Khalil Mack, and said that they talked over Tom Brady this summer. He generally does not lie when it comes to reporters questions about FA and trade pursuits after the fact.
    94Smith
    NET Rookie

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:10 pm
  • There is also an article posted documenting that the Niners were first to submit an offer for Adams, and that offer included a first round pick.
    Someone isn't telling the truth.
    Doesn't matter now. Adam's is ours. We go on from here and everyone has to deal with the ramifications of that, including the Niners.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:11 pm
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:I think the people that don't like this trade are quickly finding themselves on an island along with the insane corona virus deniers. 150,000 dead what a complete and utter failure of leadership.

Seriously, politics on the main page?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:33 pm
  • Speaking of politics, Lynch's denial of the 49ers rumored interest in Adams reminds me of a quote: "I did not have... sexual relations... with that woman."
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:41 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:There is also an article posted documenting that the Niners were first to submit an offer for Adams, and that offer included a first round pick.
    Doesn't matter now. Adam's is ours. We go on from here and everyone has to deal with the ramifications of that, including the Niners.

Did that article quote Lynch directly? Man you guys must think it is a slight that they did not call, but it would have been damn near impossible to fit Adams in with all the contracts that are coming due next year and the SS we have is not bad, just has been injury prone.
    94Smith
    NET Rookie

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:59 pm
  • Nunya wrote:Draft pick points:

TOTAL = 1720 points

[/

There is good information here, but can you explain the relevance? A first round draft pick is for four + 1 years

Adams will play out his fourth year this year then likely refuse to play his fifth year option

Drafting a guy is completely different
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:05 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:And you know the Niners were absolutely not interested because you work for the team?

No. Because they have to pay $27 million per season for a backup QB.

:179422: :179422: :49ersmall:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:26 pm
  • mikeak wrote:

TOTAL = 1720 points

[/

There is good information here, but can you explain the relevance? A first round draft pick is for four + 1 years

Adams will play out his fourth year this year then likely refuse to play his fifth year option

Drafting a guy is completely different

Very true. However, drafting someone right out of college is no guarantee that he will be successful in the NFL....no matter how high he is picked. Adam, however, has proven he is NFL material and it makes it a easier decision.

There is no good way to really compare apples to apples in this situation. We can only go with information available. Had the Seahawks traded 2 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick to move up to #6 in the draft, that would have been seen as a reasonable trade for the most part (based on points).

In regards to cap space, for 2020 we are getting a better DB for less cost to cap space. How much Adams will cost in 2021 is really irrelevant at this point.
    Nunya
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:35 pm
  • I agree that it is hard to compare. It is actually why I wonder why people keep comparing.

I disagree that what we pay in 2021 is irrelevant. If that is the case then let's judge the trade on him playing 1 year. I don't think anyone likes that scenario....

Any normal year this is a trade with a deal in place. Not knowing the cap and full extent of Covid likely held that up. The team will play Covid to the max and Adams will downplay it as much as he can.

It is a risky trade without a deal and for a season that may get cancelled. I don't really think that can be disputed. The overall value +/- won't be known until an extension is signed.

Look back at the Percy deal. The salary implications is what hurts us the most
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:41 pm
  • mikeak wrote:I agree that it is hard to compare. It is actually why I wonder why people keep comparing.

I disagree that what we pay in 2021 is irrelevant. If that is the case then let's judge the trade on him playing 1 year. I don't think anyone likes that scenario....

Any normal year this is a trade with a deal in place. Not knowing the cap and full extent of Covid likely held that up. The team will play Covid to the max and Adams will downplay it as much as he can.

It is a risky trade without a deal and for a season that may get cancelled. I don't really think that can be disputed. The overall value +/- won't be known until an extension is signed.

Look back at the Percy deal. The salary implications is what hurts us the most

The reason I say 2021 is irrelevant is because McDougald would have been a UFA in 2021. We do not know what his cap hit would have been should he had been signed. As it is now, it has been reported that Adam's cap hit for 2021 will be $9.8 mil. If he is everything he is said to be, that is very cheap for a game changing DB.

COVID is definitely going to change things a bit. That change may be significant or it could be minor. There is really no way to plan ahead for what the impacts MAY be. One things about it, though, is it will likely impact every team pretty much the same.
    Nunya
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:59 pm
  • Why are people talking about having Adams only 1 year? As far as I've seen his 5th year option was already activated so he's under contract for 2020 and 2021. Plus they could then possibly franchise him and get a 3rd year if push came to shove. I don't think they want to do that and that could get a little hairy if he doesn't take that well, but it is an option. At minimum he's a Seahawk for 2 years before he starts making his big money.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:04 am

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:05 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:Our defensive line appeared to completely dominate one game last season (@SF), which happened to coincide with SF having their key receiving targets injured. That's one good indication that our secondary play impacts the defensive line outcomes significantly and the causation last year went from back to front much of the time.

That was the game that Clowney practically, single handily beat the Niners himself. Guess who we havent signed?

Right, but is the causation Clowney having one outlier game? I am suggesting that it goes the other direction; the improved secondary play (against niners backup receivers) forced JimmyG to hang onto the ball which led to our entire defensive line having an excellent game. Our defensive line would have looked better in other games if opposing QBs weren't getting the ball out so easily.

DJrmb wrote:Why are people talking about having Adams only 1 year? As far as I've seen his 5th year option was already activated so he's under contract for 2020 and 2021.

The entire reason why Adams was trying to get traded was because he badly wanted out of his current contract. Before the trade was finalized we came to agreement with him that he would play 2020 on his existing salary, but he is absolutely going to want a new contract next off-season. Playing hardball with him then is an option but souring that relationship seems crazy to me for a player they traded so much capital for. Far better to work that 5th year option into the negotiation of an extension.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:30 am
  • Which is what will happen. He'll play out 2020 under his rookie deal. And the Hawks will have a massive bargain price from him in 2020 to offset the huge contract he will get, and deserve come 2021. Say he gets a 5 year extension after 2020. Well, per year $ is actually for 6 years when you count the lower $ hit in 2020. All in how you look at it I guess, and why worry about it now?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:32 am
  • I like it Seymour :irishdrinkers:
    Anyone else almost shoot water out of their nose when they showed that Jimmy fricken G was #43 on the players list? Biggest laugh I've had in months. He's not even top 10. Most of us could easily name 10-15 guys we would rather have at QB than Jimmy G.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:21 am
  • 94Smith wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:There is also an article posted documenting that the Niners were first to submit an offer for Adams, and that offer included a first round pick.

Did that article quote Lynch directly? Man you guys must think it is a slight that they did not call, but it would have been damn near impossible to fit Adams in with all the contracts that are coming due next year and the SS we have is not bad, just has been injury prone.

IIRC it did not quote Lynch, but included interviews with member/s of the Jets FO regarding the offer. Other articles delved into Niners thought process on valuing getting Adams if for no other reason than to keep him from going to Seattle. But all this stuff is now water under the bridge. We need to focus on moving on to the next step of making our team better. On our part I gotta think Adams will make up far more than the 2" we came up short last year, especially if we can get Clowney back to decorate the Niners offensive backfield.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:44 am

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:Why are people talking about having Adams only 1 year? As far as I've seen his 5th year option was already activated so he's under contract for 2020 and 2021. Plus they could then possibly franchise him and get a 3rd year if push came to shove. I don't think they want to do that and that could get a little hairy if he doesn't take that well, but it is an option. At minimum he's a Seahawk for 2 years before he starts making his big money.

In the past the Seahawk franchise had people decide to do a holdout so that hey can get paid. (Wagner, Chancellor, Thomas, Bennett? ) Etc.
    poly1274
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:48 pm
  • Ok Debbie
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:45 pm
  • So by Petes own admission he is trading the future of this franchise and betting that their draft picks would be low (no sure thing) for the chance at a great player. Never mind the fact he was already a malcontent at the first franchise he was with and was forcing his way out. Plus he is only under contract for 2 more years and would likely hold out the second year if they did not sign him to a huge offer.
    I have not changed my thoughts on this trade at all. It was a massive overpay for a damned strong safety. We payed more than what Chicago did for Khalil Mack and they already had him signed to an extension before that trade.
    San Fransisco was right in thinking what they were asking was way too much for a player who wants a max contract at a non premuim position.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:38 pm
  • So let me begin by saying I've watched a lot of film on him and have considered all aspects.

With that being said, YES it was a little extreme to trade 2-First Round picks and a Third round pick for this guy.

HOWEVER, when you consider the trade value for him combining we wouldn't keep McDougald past this year, it kind of makes sense.

This is how Carroll builds his LOB v 2.0. This is the safety equivalent of B Wagz in their respective positions. Could you imagine the best of two key positions on Defense being on the same team?!? The only thing making this trade the ULTIMATE trade is the fact that Dunbar could possibly miss this season. This could literally be one of the best secondaries in ALL OF THE NFL, including the LOB v 1.0. I was skeptical and very dismissive of this trade considering what we gave up originally, but I'm getting more and more excited about this as time passes...
    jmahon316
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:05 pm
  • I think one of the excellent points made in the video is that the 2020 college season may/will be impacted by Covid-19. We gave up one pick and moved down with another in a draft where teams may have to pick blind because they can't properly evaluate the players on the field. If you ever wanted a crap-shoot draft, 2021 is potentially going to be the strangest draft in the history of the NFL.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:42 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Seems a long way to say "they took away Dunbar and we can't develop these raw safety projects we drafted last year with COVID the way it is, so we had to splurge".
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:25 am
  • I know that's he's on his best behaviour and it's the "honeymoon period" but watching the video interview with Adams on Seahawks.com has me really happy to have him join the team and excited to see him play.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:55 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:So by Petes own admission he is trading the future of this franchise...

Pretty sure nobody said that, but if you actually heard it please provide the quote. Hyperbole is one thing, but attributing it to somebody else is over the line.

Natethegreat wrote:... and betting that their draft picks would be low

John Schneider said this, and he prefaced it with humility. In any case, it has been nine seasons since we made a selection before #27. Vegas currently projects the #25 selection for the Hawks in 2021 if teams finish in order of their current betting odds.

Sure, anything "could" happen but when you are making decisions it's important to base on them on reasonable projections of the future and not simply worst case/best case scenarios which are less likely to occur. Forecasts should include all possibilities weighted by the probabilities that they will occur, and the 2021 Seahawks draft pick forecast is currently mid 20s.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:03 pm
  • New to this site.. My thoughts on the Jamal Adams trade ..
    So many experts claiming we paid too much .. I see it differently .. Everyone knows it was going to take at least a first round draft pick and more to get Jamal .. a First round pick and a 3rd in 2021 seems reasonable .. remember Seattle was not the only team looking at him .. the trade had to interest the Jets over other offers ..
    Throwing in Bradley Mcdougald made sense .. his contract owed this year was 3.6 million Jamal will be playing on his rookie contract this year 2020 which is 3.59 million .. essentially a wash .. Leaving cap space for JS to negotiate for other deals (Clowney?) (Griffen?) (Brown?) (Gordon?)

How I see this .. a 1st and a 3rd in 2021 is the price of doing business .. McDougald saved cap space

If you are going to argue about over payment ... The 2022 1st rounder might qualify but even then we also get their 2022 4th rounder! all of their picks will be LATE FIRST ROUNDERS in the high 20's

All of this for a Hall of fame potential talent?

You need to Thank JS .. we stole this deal right in front of the entire NFL ..
    thisguyissogood
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm
  • thisguyissogood wrote:New to this site.. My thoughts on the Jamal Adams trade ..
    So many experts claiming we paid too much .. I see it differently .. Everyone knows it was going to take at least a first round draft pick and more to get Jamal .. a First round pick and a 3rd in 2021 seems reasonable .. remember Seattle was not the only team looking at him .. the trade had to interest the Jets over other offers ..
    Throwing in Bradley Mcdougald made sense .. his contract owed this year was 3.6 million Jamal will be playing on his rookie contract this year 2020 which is 3.59 million .. essentially a wash .. Leaving cap space for JS to negotiate for other deals (Clowney?) (Griffen?) (Brown?) (Gordon?)

How I see this .. a 1st and a 3rd in 2021 is the price of doing business .. McDougald saved cap space

If you are going to argue about over payment ... The 2022 1st rounder might qualify but even then we also get their 2022 4th rounder! all of their picks will be LATE FIRST ROUNDERS in the high 20's

All of this for a Hall of fame potential talent?

You need to Thank JS .. we stole this deal right in front of the entire NFL ..

:greetingsearthling: Good post. I appreciate someone coming in with something other than criticism, because they've thought clearly about many aspects of the trade.

There is certainly a "wait and see" part of analyzing the details after we see what football even looks like this year (both college and pro), and what Adams does for us. But the draft may end up being a non-event next year, so we could even come out winners without picks!
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:18 pm
  • Thanks A Hawk .. appreciate the welcome!
    thisguyissogood
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:21 pm
  • Welcome!

Appreciate your posted thoughts.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:45 pm
  • Thanks!
    thisguyissogood