Jamal Adams trade grades-Seahawks and Jets - Bill Barnwell

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great read! Bill Barnwell is usually pretty negative when it comes to the Seahawks, and he began by heading that direction, fooling me, and going the opposite way.

Jamal Adams trade grades for Seahawks and Jets: Can a safety really be worth this much?

On the other hand, Carroll and Schneider used the 14th overall pick in their first draft on a safety out of Texas by the name of Earl Thomas, and that move worked out fine. Two years later, they went against the grain and used their third-round pick on Russell Wilson, who was supposedly too short to be an NFL quarterback. They landed two likely Hall of Famers by taking shots where other teams feared to tread.

Since Wilson arrived in town, the only team to win more games than the Seahawks is the Patriots. These guys might deserve some benefit of the doubt at this point, no?

In a vacuum, trading this sort of haul for a safety -- even one as talented as Adams -- is a bad idea. Let's see if we can play devil's advocate and get a sense of why the Seahawks might be correct to think otherwise.

Argument No. 1: Could Adams make an impact like Tyrann Mathieu?

If the Seahawks want evidence that a safety can help push a team over the top and propel them from a perennial playoff contender into a Super Bowl winner, they don't have to look far.

The Chiefs' offense was absolutely devastating after Patrick Mahomes took over as the starter in 2018, but a defense ranked 26th in DVOA couldn't hold up its end of the bargain.

As ESPN's Mina Kimes noted on Twitter, Adams was credited as a linebacker or a defensive lineman more frequently than he was a safety before the snap since the start of his career.

Adams is better in coverage than any linebacker and better against the run than just about any safety. He has the ability and frame to compete with guys such as Kittle and Murray, and there aren't many players in the league who can do that.

Adams also should be able to make an impact in a place most safeties typically don't: as a pass-rusher.

Since entering the league, he has 12 sacks and 23 knockdowns, the most of any defensive back over that time frame. He racked up 6.5 sacks and 13 hits last season, which is something defensive backs just don't do.

You might remember him ripping the ball out of Daniel Jones' hands last season before taking the ball to the house for a touchdown. As a designated blitzer or by coming late in plays as a spy or a "green dog" rusher, Adams is an impactful pass-rusher.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/295 ... worth-much

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The fact he feels the need to play devils advocate tells you this was an extreme overpay. 2 firsts and a pick swap plus trading a very capable player for a SS, even a really good one, is an obvious massive overpay by any recent standard.
Especially when said player is pushing his way out and criticizing his owner and coach.
I hope he is great but this move makes me question the leadership on this team and that is not something I have done. Even when I disliked the Graham and Harvin trades at least they were not massive overpays.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
One of the claims Jets fans fire Adam's direction us that he was a "bad actor" and toxin to team spirit, in the vein of an Antonio Brown. I look at that with skepticism.
Firstly I think they are mostly butthurt by Adam's desire to vacate from the Jets. As for Adams wish to vacate in order to play for a winner...I don't blame him for that. What have the Jets done since Namath pulled out that miracle?
But I still believe the Seahawks paid far too heavy a price. I get it the his talent level will enhance our defensive backfield. I get it that he makes plays all over the field. So did McDougald. But no one can play all over the field every play. No one. 2 first rounders and a third have a better shot at that than any one guy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This trade certainly has the optics of “Big Balls Pete” rolling the dice for a potential major steal. It’s a risky move.

Adams is a very good player and a clear improvement over McDougald but his cost and the relative opportunity costs given up are certainly pricey. To me however Adams is a proven commodity and a tangible asset which can’t be said about any presumptively late 1st round draft picks. It’s easy to be negative about the cost of this trade but defending the quality offences the team faces regularly in the NFC-W requires a creative approach to shutting parts of their respective games down, Adams could very well be a key missing piece.

Like all things time will provide the answers. I must say though I’m excited to see what Adams can do.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":7jm5gzs2 said:
. Even when I disliked the Graham and Harvin trades at least they were not massive overpays.

There more than a few of us who disagree about the cost of both those trades.

The team didn’t get what they traded for with either player.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3vuifql4 said:
Natethegreat":3vuifql4 said:
. Even when I disliked the Graham and Harvin trades at least they were not massive overpays.

There more than a few of us who disagree about the cost of both those trades.

The team didn’t get what they traded for with either player.
I agree, but to me the overpay for Adams is degrees higher. You knew what pick you were trading when they traded for those guys.
People are saying if we make the super bowl its worth it. Yeah, in that case it would be but what if we end up with the first overall pick? Thats in the cards just as much as a super bowl.
What if its 2 years in a row of high draft picks? This reeks of desperation to trade so much for a strong safety.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
You guys are looking at this all wrong, the Seahawks traded away four players for Jamal Adams, McDougal and three picks.

McDougal is average at best, slightly below average in my opinion.

The draft picks given up aren’t guaranteed to be great players.

Adams already is an All-Pro and only 24 years old.

He has a 8-10 years left of solid years.

Seattle doesn’t draft particularly well if you can remember. If you think about Seattle top performers, besides Earl Thomas, their SuperBowl nucleus of players are not first round picks.

And the first picks you did have were Russell Okung, Bruce Irvin, Germain Ifedi, Malik McDowell, these picks haven’t been generational type talent, Adams is.

Adams is a game changer.

The NFC is loaded with offense. Kingsbury, McVay, Shanahan, Seattle needs defensive stars.

If you want to win in the post season you need elite players.

Seattle only had 2 top 5 players at their positions, now they have 3.

You need elite players.

If Seattle did not trade for Adams the Niners may have.

You don’t get better by not doing anything, you get better by making moves.

Be more optimistic!

Tusc2000

Reaction score
I think this is a very good deal to get an all-pro safety. Two 1st round picks may seem like a lot, but 1st round picks are never guaranteed to become stars. The poor way in which John has drafted top picks over the past 5 years confirms this. Ifidi, Penney and Collier have not lived up to their billing. So to get a proven star is certainly worth what we gave up.

beastalamode

Reaction score
Too many people are saying "oh noes, we gave up 2 firsts!"

We gave up 2 weak firsts.

Imagine it's the 2021 draft, and we are sitting at 26 in the first round. If we packaged that 2022 first, how high could we have moved up? My guess is we move up to about the 13th pick.

Yeah that's right, now how does this trade look to you?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
beastalamode":1o8xi2m6 said:
Too many people are saying "oh noes, we gave up 2 firsts!"

We gave up 2 weak firsts.

Imagine it's the 2021 draft, and we are sitting at 26 in the first round. If we packaged that 2022 first, how high could we have moved up? My guess is we move up to about the 13th pick.

Yeah that's right, now how does this trade look to you?

In this scenario the Seahawks move up to the 13th pick by trading the 21, and 22 first round pick along with a 3rd. Don’t even count McDougald in the equation because by most accounts he was going to be a cap cut anyway. So with the 13th pick you probably get a guy roughly 2 years younger than Adams. Is it a guarantee that he will be as good? The 13th pick is roughly the middle of the round. There is no guarantee of an all pro player at that point of the draft. That proven all pro player is already on the roster in Adams!

LTH

Reaction score
At first impression of the trade I was thinking they paid to much...

But after thinking about it I suppose there could be a legit argument either way as many of you have stated...

Pete and JS, their record speaks for itself. I suppose they just mortgaged the future because they believe Adams is the piece they need to bring the team to dominance.

I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out... It very well could be a defining moment in the organization as if it works out they are hero's if it blows up, not so much...

I just hope JA stay healthy in these strange times..

LTH

getnasty

Reaction score
Walterfootball gave us an A if i remeber right. I'm not quite that high on it but i still like the move.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think it is a good / great trade if he stays long term

I think there is at least a 25% chance this season doesn't get played

I think there is a 75% chance he requires a new deal after this season

We have been stingy in the past and letting players like Richardson walk and not be able to have a deal. We don't overpay.

So how do we think a long term deal will be done? He will holdout over playing his fifth year option / franchise tag

We get something done - great, but because of the picks we will now have to overpay in order for those picks not to be wasted.

An extension deal would normally be part of this. Due to Covid uncertainties I am guessing they didn't want to do that. We may see contracts come down 10%-15%

It is a weird time for a blockbuster deal when the guy doesn't have 2+ years left that he will be happy to play out

hawks85

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3vmxnjc8 said:
You guys are looking at this all wrong, the Seahawks traded away four players for Jamal Adams, McDougal and three picks.

McDougal is average at best, slightly below average in my opinion.

The draft picks given up aren’t guaranteed to be great players.

Adams already is an All-Pro and only 24 years old.

He has a 8-10 years left of solid years.

Seattle doesn’t draft particularly well if you can remember. If you think about Seattle top performers, besides Earl Thomas, their SuperBowl nucleus of players are not first round picks.

And the first picks you did have were Russell Okung, Bruce Irvin, Germain Ifedi, Malik McDowell, these picks haven’t been generational type talent, Adams is.

Adams is a game changer.

The NFC is loaded with offense. Kingsbury, McVay, Shanahan, Seattle needs defensive stars.

You need elite players.

Be more optimistic!
BOOM!!! Nailed it Perfectly.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Ok my take now...
I have trouble with 3 picks and a player for a safety but when
you consider one first as Adams himself in next draft it starts
to feel a little better.
One high 4th for a weak 3rd is almost a wash so feel yet better.
Mcdougal..I hate to see go but we are stacked with younger guys
with higher upsides back there no?
So in the end that one last 1st pick may hurt the most or not it really
depends on if we win more and get further in the playoffs right?
It would be a deep 1st round pick anyway,not a top 20.
I think the Jets sure thought about where our average first picks were
so all in all I can live with this trade with time to reflect.
RW got his superstar right?I see John63 totally not liking this in many
posts..I will leave him with this "Defense wins Championships"

olyfan63

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1myacmvk said:
<snip of other good and true stuff>
Adams is a game changer.

You need elite players.

Be more optimistic!

TheLegendOfBoom has nailed it.

How frustrating has it been the last few years seeing our underperfoming defense get torched by the Rams offense, and the Niners offense, and now add an improving Kyler Murray and the Cards to the mix?

Adams is the ONE player, perhaps in the entire NFL, who *most improves* our defensive prospects against our divisional rivals. We're gonna blitz Kyler Murray? Don't send KJ, send Adams! He can actually catch Murray! (as can Jordyn Brooks, as seen in his college tape)

Between Adams and Jordyn Brooks, this year's Seahawks D will match up *so much better* against our divisional rivals offenses. Adams erasing George Kittle? Well, we won't hear "Yeah, but Kittle..." from Niner fans. Of course Adams has to prove it on the field. Plus Adams will be a big help against the Niners power running game. Jordyn Brooks chasing down and tackling Kyler Murray for a loss? Beats having Murray run for 30 yards downfield. The Rams and all their speed and misdirection? We will finally begin to match up with them. Their offense has been our D's Kryptonite for several years now.

We gave up a lot, but we get a lot, and more. The "guarantees" are pretty good, based on Adam's past performance. About as guaranteed as anything ever gets, salary aside, in the NFL.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
hawks85":b5x36y70 said:
All Seattle needs is a star on that D-line and they may very well be favorites to win it all this year.

All we have to do now is sign Clowney and we are the odds-on favorite to go to the Super Bowl.

Get that signature!!