Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here is insight on why Schnieder paid so much for Adams.

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/se ... e-seahawks

scroll down, it's the 2nd or 3rd section of information. He states that he gave up what they would have had to give up in draft capital on draft day to move up for the type of talent they would be hoping for with Adams basically since they are always in the high 20's on first round picks.
    niveky
    NET Veteran

• niveky wrote:https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/sea/seattle-seahawks

scroll down, it's the 2nd or 3rd section of information. He states that he gave up what they would have had to give up in draft capital on draft day to move up for the type of talent they would be hoping for with Adams basically since they are always in the high 20's on first round picks.

That's one of the worst things I've ever seen. Because Seattle is in the high 20s on first round picks?

They released their Starting C ( Britt) for Cap space. and what happens if RW gets injured in one of the plays. Our NFC West rivals all have good pass rushers, and to spend a minimal amount of money to protect the Franchise QB?

Smh.
    poly1274
    NET Veteran

• poly1274 wrote:
    niveky wrote:https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/sea/seattle-seahawks

That's one of the worst things I've ever seen. Because Seattle is in the high 20s on first round picks?

They released their Starting C ( Britt) for Cap space. and what happens if RW gets injured in one of the plays. Our NFC West rivals all have good pass rushers, and to spend a minimal amount of money to protect the Franchise QB?

Smh.

You speak as if Britt had no flaws and was All-Pro.

Britt was never consistent and Russ was sacked a bunch of times when Britt was the center.

Britt cost a lot of money and was not worth the money.

I don’t think I have ever seen you post anything positive about the team.

You must be a closet Seahawks hater.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

The only difference is he is a proven commodity.. so I guess that makes a bit of sense...

LTH
    LTH
    NET Veteran

• TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:

Smh.

Britt was never consistent and Russ was sacked a bunch of times when Britt was the center.

Ok so you think B J Finney or Joey Hunt will be better than what Britt did. Finney is so unproven and was never a starter that played the whole season.

And Yes Britt is better than Hunt.

It cost money to get good players, and Britt wasn't the best but he held his own.
    poly1274
    NET Veteran

• Also Since people loves PFF so much

"Another first-place accomplishment the team can celebrate is center Justin Britt ranking first in PFF's 'top 4 center overall grade' with a score of 55.3."

That was for 2018-2019 Season, and last season he got injured, and that's why his play went down. You don't cut people because of 1 bad season.
    poly1274
    NET Veteran

• What team is Britt on right now ?

Yea exactly . He may be back on the cheap .

I love the trade . We never pick in the first round anyways . In JS and PC I trust !
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

• Pouncy the starting Pittsburgh Center was out for a while last year, and BJ Finney became the staring C.

Said Pouncy: "BJ made himself a LOT of money the way he played."

No idea if/when Britt can play this year.

So, smart move.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• They gave up a Collier and a Penny.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:Pouncy the starting Pittsburgh Center was out for a while last year, and BJ Finney became the staring C.

Said Pouncy: "BJ made himself a LOT of money the way he played."

No idea if/when Britt can play this year.

So, smart move.

Yeah, and not even sure what future draft picks to gain a safety has to do with swapping an injured, average center for an average,, cheaper,, not injured center.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Bobblehead wrote:They gave up a Collier and a Penny.

My Man ^ :D
    xray
    NET Veteran

• poly1274 wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:

Smh.

Ok so you think B J Finney or Joey Hunt will be better than what Britt did. Finney is so unproven and was never a starter that played the whole season.

It cost money to get good players, and Britt wasn't the best but he held his own.

Britt had a very serious knee injury last season. Maybe he hasn't recovered and may never recover. Seeing as how no other team has picked him up, I would say that it is quite possible his injury might be career ending.
    Nunya
    NET Rookie

• Nunya wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:

Smh.

Britt had a very serious knee injury last season. Maybe he hasn't recovered and may never recover. Seeing as how no other team has picked him up, I would say that it is quite possible his injury might be career ending.

O would say he is rehabbing and working with the trainers or some trainers, hell Jim Otto had like 9 injuries on both knees back when Surgery was a butcher shop and they would wheel him out to the field and he would play and then dump him in the ice tub for 6 days, not really but, there is no need to rush, cutting him gave them room, knowing the remote possibility of a team signing him with a sever injury is minimal, now they can work any type of deal if they want him plus not feel the need to rush him back in these situations. I am sure when things were thought to be normal that was an option, now it's a blessing.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I’m fine with the amount given up to get him. This college season will be effected by the pandemic which makes scouting talent harder for the next draft or two. Picking in the later round of the draft is a crap shoot anyways with the front office. Having college teams only play their own conference will limit the game tape for scouting. People that hate the amount given up to get Adams are too focused on the round the picks are from. Adams is proven and still under 25 yrs old. Picking unproven 1st rounders hoping it works out hasn’t worked well in years, for the Seahawks but they keep trying. I’m always disappointed on day 1 of the draft, the last few years. Now, i don’t have to stress or be disappointed over it for the next 2 years. :irishdrinkers:
    inda2o6
    NET Practice Squad

• poly1274 wrote:Ok so you think B J Finney or Joey Hunt will be better than what Britt did. Finney is so unproven and was never a starter that played the whole season. And Yes Britt is better than Hunt. It cost money to get good players, and Britt wasn't the best but he held his own.

Britt would have had an $11.4m cap hit this year, which would have been the 2nd highest overall among centers. You can't pay that much money to somebody who you say wasn't "the best" even if they are healthy, but Britt had a serious knee injury and is still recovering. He may be sitting the entire season out, or he could resign as a cheap backup somewhere. He could even resign here later in the year if he's completely healthy again and wants to play at a much lower figure.

BJ Finney on the other hand played as well as Britt did last season and has a much smaller ($3.5m) cap hit. Even if you really don't like him, it should be obvious that Finney's chances of performing up to a $3.5m contract are vastly better than Britt performing up to an $11.4m! contract coming off knee surgery.

Ethan Pocic should also be discussed here. He was one of the top centers in the draft, and we selected him while Britt was still deciding over the extension and our center position was uncertain. However, Britt signed the extension shortly afterwards and we've spent a couple of years plugging Pocic in as a guard with poor results. The main problem Pocic has had is leverage, as he has an ideal center frame (tall with long arms) but doesn't have the lower body mass and strength for guard. Britt himself had many of the same issues which were alleviated by moving to center, so ruling Pocic out at his natural position is crazy if you are also talking up Britt. Pocic is playing on just a $1.4m cap hit.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• poly1274 wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:

Smh.

Well, based on that logic should we have kept Ifedi too?
    nwHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

True also with Carson, Diggs , Griffen And possibly Dunbar requiring new contracts giving up the draft capital is not a bad idea. I estimate 22-27 million to help keep proven talent. I like it.
    tersal
    NET Rookie

• I click on the thread thinking it is about Adams (as the title states) and all anyone is talking about is Britt?

Back to Adams. There is pro-bowl talent and then there is all-pro talent, two different things. Adams is all-pro level talent and that is rare, even in the lower part of the 1st round. What we got was an ET-type talent that we can build around. To quote a cliche, "he makes everyone around him better."
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• Giving up two 1sts and a 3rd seems steep , while noticing the Jets went 7-9 last season with Adams .
    xray
    NET Veteran

• xray wrote:Giving up two 1sts and a 3rd seems steep , while noticing the Jets went 7-9 last season with Adams .

Hello, the Jets do not have Russ!
    tersal
    NET Rookie

• When he's dominating on the field and making the entire D better, will all these people whining about the trade be cheering? Yes, they will.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• poly1274 wrote:

Smh.

Bj finney has started 13 games, and played in 59. He has given up 3 sacks and 3 penalties in his career. He is a better pass blocker than Britt.
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

So the insight here is that they are burnt out on getting burned by the early picks they've been making, and therefore trust to trading their picks for proven talent.
    Their draft value assessment seems to be that they would need to pool their draft picks in order to pick high enough to get a player that qualifies as a top talent.
    Seems to me that instead of picking 7-10 guys from the lower reaches of draft talent available they should pool those later picks, along with their lower picks in first round in order to trade up to a first round position to get one with the talent they covet.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• xray wrote:Giving up two 1sts and a 3rd seems steep , while noticing the Jets went 7-9 last season with Adams .

7-9 for a Gase-led Jets team is really good.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• nwHawk wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    poly1274 wrote:

Smh.

Well, based on that logic should we have kept Ifedi too?

No, and you know why.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

The Jets are horrible though. They are the Seattle Mariners of football.
    I agree the price is steep, but if you look at where the 2 first round picks will likely be, late 20’s/30’s plus how JS is usually not good picking in the first round it doesn’t seem as bad of price.

Or maybe that’s just me being a homer?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Bobblehead wrote:They gave up a Collier and a Penny.

The best analysis yet!

I'll detail it out a small bit... Using the last two first-round Seahawks draft picks, Penny and Collier. Projecting forward through the next 2 seasons, using the actual value the Hawks received from those two first-round picks. (I'm going to ignore the 3rd rounder/4th rounder swap and McDougald part of the trade) The bet, the gamble, is that Adams is healthy and performing at his usual level for 1 underpaid season plus 1 extension season, we'll say, 14 healthy games each season, 2 games out each season nicked up or family-related absence.

VALUE TRADED IF WE HAD TRADED AWAY 2018-2019 1ST ROUNDERS
    Collier in year 1 = ZERO
    Collier in year 2 = Wildly optimistic projection => 6 great games at an ALL-PRO level.
    Penny in year 1 = Just above ZERO
    Penny in year 2 = 4 Games of above-average RB play, 2 games ALL-PRO level
    TOTAL VALUE TRADED: 8 Player-Games of ALL-PRO level play.

2020-2021 PROJECTED VALUE RECEIVED
    Adams, year 1 = ALL-PRO Strong Safety, 14 games
    Adams, year 2 = ALL-PRO Strong Safety, 14 games
    TOTAL VALUE RECEIVED: 28 Player-Games of ALL-PRO level play.

So, Pete and John traded 8 Player-Games of ALL-PRO level play, and got 28 Player-Games of ALL-PRO level play in Adams.

Gave up 8 chips, received 28 in return, sounds like a good trade!

Yes, I know, actual mileage may vary, objects in mirror may get injured, prospectus contains forward-looking statements, and one of the two traded 1st rounders could be the next Bobby Wagner or next Dan Marino.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• The next year's draft is really gonna be a crapshoot with Covid. Plus if we win the SB we would be selecting 32nd ;)
    Teahawks
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I love the FO, but this narrative is so dumb that I have to believe they read it online and didn't think any further before repeating it

Going up in the draft is done to get a guy for four to five years. The player can't even get a new deal for three years. You pay minimum salary for at least THREE YEARS. That has tremendous value especially in unprecedented times when the cap faces a real risk of going down.

We got one (assuming the season doesn't get cancelled) year before Adams will sit out for a new deal. Sure we get an extension done we get more years, but who knows if that will happen.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:I love the FO, but this narrative is so dumb that I have to believe they read it online and didn't think any further before repeating it

Going up in the draft is done to get a guy for four to five years. The player can't even get a new deal for three years. You pay minimum salary for at least THREE YEARS. That has tremendous value especially in unprecedented times when the cap faces a real risk of going down.

We got one (assuming the season doesn't get cancelled) year before Adams will sit out for a new deal. Sure we get an extension done we get more years, but who knows if that will happen.

The "who knows" part also applies to whether a drafted player--even one taken in the top of the 1st round--has the ability to shine in the NFL. It's still a gamble. In this case, just getting Adams on the team where the FO has the ability to make an extension offer after a year of quality play is worth something.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:08 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information