Could 1 or 2 games constitute a season? (RE Jamal Adams)

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Looks like baseball is having fits with the virus right now. Some wonder how long it can continue. Is this a harbinger of the NFL season?

If the NFL shortens the season or only gets 1 or 2 games in before having to shut down, would a 1 or 2 game season use 1 year of Adams contract?

If so, that makes what we traded even more expensive. The future draft picks would come when the virus is likely over and in exchange for our 1st round picks we get a guy to play for 1 season less than we planned. Then, we have to put a new deal together to sign him long term and that will be very expensive.

If 1 or 2 games constitute a season, that has huge ramifications on all NFL contracts. And if there are no playoffs, then we mortgaged the farm this season (Adams trade) to get to some place that ended up not existing (playoffs).

poly1274

Reaction score
MO Hawk":2ahhd54r said:
Looks like baseball is having fits with the virus right now. Some wonder how long it can continue. Is this a harbinger of the NFL season?

If the NFL shortens the season or only gets 1 or 2 games in before having to shut down, would a 1 or 2 game season use 1 year of Adams contract?

If so, that makes what we traded even more expensive. The future draft picks would come when the virus is likely over and in exchange for our 1st round picks we get a guy to play for 1 season less than we planned. Then, we have to put a new deal together to sign him long term and that will be very expensive.

If 1 or 2 games constitute a season, that has huge ramifications on all NFL contracts. And if there are no playoffs, then we mortgaged the farm this season (Adams trade) to get to some place that ended up not existing (playoffs).

Read an interesting article on PFT a few weeks ago, that if the players play 1 game, they are guaranteed to get their whole salary. (If the season ends) I'm not sure what the agreement was, or if there were any changes.

It's not just the trade for Adams, is more expensive because then Seattle would have to be worried about their LT position. Duane Brown is going to be 35 years old this season, and if the Covid, shutsdown NFL this season, he'll be 36 years old. The Seahawks don't have that much draft capital, and in FA, there are still players that don't want to sign and play for Seattle, but they will come visit the Seahawks, ,so that they can drive up their market price.

The cap space for Seattle won't be a problem, it all depends how much Adams wants, and if he want's to stay in Seattle. He talks about how he plans to retire in Seattle, but what happens if the Redskins plans to throw a lot of money at him, or If he wants to go to Miami, LA,etc.

Jville

Reaction score
MO Hawk":298a21vx said:

I would refer you to the current collective bargaining agreement. Any work around modifications would have to be the result of a mutual agreement between the league and union.

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Jville, that could be an interesting negotiating process. If it were 1 or 2 games and the season is over what do you think the position of the owners and players would be? I guess it would be start from both ends and leave plenty of room to negotiate to somewhere in the middle.

The problem for the players, such as Adams, is that if a year doesn't count, then their age clock is ticking and losing that year will cost them perhaps as much as $20 million or so in lost earnings.

This virus just keeps affecting so much more than I could have imagined as each week passes by.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
"This virus just keeps affecting so much more than I could have imagined as each week passes by."

And it ain't over yet. Not by any stretch. We're all just going to have to understand we have to get serious about working together to get this thing suppressed or it never will be.
Seems like losing our football (let alone family members) would be incentive enough for ANYONE to take it seriously.

Jville

Reaction score
MO Hawk":21z2i33c said:
Jville, that could be an interesting negotiating process. If it were 1 or 2 games and the season is over what do you think the position of the owners and players would be? I guess it would be start from both ends and leave plenty of room to negotiate to somewhere in the middle.

The problem for the players, such as Adams, is that if a year doesn't count, then their age clock is ticking and losing that year will cost them perhaps as much as $20 million or so in lost earnings.

This virus just keeps affecting so much more than I could have imagined as each week passes by.

Effects of Scale are in play. Numbers and compliance matter.

A basket ball team is a smaller and thus less risky population than a baseball team or football team. A selective barbecue with a video feed on game day looks much more doable than a stadium.

While the masses are programed to habitually visit traditional super markets, I'm supporting my smaller less populated local butcher and produce growers. Far better product and less risk.

I continue to serve as a volunteer delivering meals to seniors because of the low risk of one on one scale and adherence to safe practices.

My advise ....... Learn and adapt.

kf3339

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3q0gole3 said:
"This virus just keeps affecting so much more than I could have imagined as each week passes by."

And it ain't over yet. Not by any stretch. We're all just going to have to understand we have to get serious about working together to get this thing suppressed or it never will be.
Seems like losing our football (let alone family members) would be incentive enough for ANYONE to take it seriously.

There isn't going to be a way to get the virus under control until a vaccine and/or cure is in place. That should be clear enough by now. Personally, I think it's a lot of talk over nothing. We have had viruses before, and we will have viruses again. This has happened over the course of history. This one in no different. We shut our economy down over nothing. Put millions of people out of work. Cost business owners to close their doors permanently. Added trillions to our country's debt. Paying people more to stay home than to work. Over what.

This is a political issue. That's all.

chris98251

Reaction score
kf3339":1gysalbp said:
Appyhawk":1gysalbp said:

There isn't going to be a way to get the virus under control until a vaccine and/or cure is in place. That should be clear enough by now. Personally, I think it's a lot of talk over nothing. We have had viruses before, and we will have viruses again. This has happened over the course of history. This one in no different. We shut our economy down over nothing. Put millions of people out of work. Cost business owners to close their doors permanently. Added trillions to our country's debt. Paying people more to stay home than to work. Over what.

Guess you have not had someone you die over nothing yet, just a inconveneince is all.

You should throw a Summer party and invite all your friends of a like mind and their friends to commensurate this inconvenient situation.

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":1if4kchj said:
kf3339":1if4kchj said:
Appyhawk":1if4kchj said:

Guess you have not had someone you die over nothing yet, just a inconveneince is all.

You should throw a Summer party and invite all your friends of a like mind and their friends to commensurate this inconvenient situation.

I don't live my life in fear, but go right ahead if that is your way.

chris98251

Reaction score
kf3339":ieih7bam said:
chris98251":ieih7bam said:
kf3339":ieih7bam said:
Appyhawk":ieih7bam said:

So the answer is no then, I am an essential worker and a caregiver as well, I have to work, shop, care and all the other things EVERYDAY, if I get it someone dies period.

So there is no fear of what I can control, I do the mask, the distanceing, the cleaning and sanitizing. It's Morons that can't figure out that a mask is suppose to be over your nose, don't wear one, and think it's just a thing and that everyone should get over it, or they should have injected some Clorox and all would be well.

Caution and premptive protections is not fear, it's protecting others from selfish bastards.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
kf3339":3euk0113 said:
chris98251":3euk0113 said:
kf3339":3euk0113 said:
Appyhawk":3euk0113 said:

Fear is ignorantly refusing to face the facts of reality.
Discretion is exercising cognitive reasoning to make a decision appropriate to the facts.
There is a huge difference.

What is it you're afraid of?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1rd2izbw said:
kf3339":1rd2izbw said:
chris98251":1rd2izbw said:
kf3339":1rd2izbw said:

So the answer is no then, I am an essential worker and a caregiver as well, I have to work, shop, care and all the other things EVERYDAY, if I get it someone dies period.

So there is no fear of what I can control, I do the mask, the distanceing, the cleaning and sanitizing. It's Morons that can't figure out that a mask is suppose to be over your nose, don't wear one, and think it's just a thing and that everyone should get over it, or they should have injected some Clorox and all would be well.

Caution and premptive protections is not fear, it's protecting others from selfish bastards.

What a classic exchange!

The battle between the foolish and the careful.

Just so you know selfish folks, science advises you should wear a mask, and isolate.

If you don’t and you’re infected you are a vector and irresponsibly spreading this illness which is real and killing people indiscriminately. The good ol’ USA is THE WORST FIRST WORLD COUNTRY as far as the infection is concerned and despite social isolation people want to be free of restriction, and simply don’t get social isolation as necessity to prevent the uptake of this infection. Perhaps there is leadership issue involved or simple denial. Being free and ‘not living in fear‘ is fine, but science is real and simply not isolating and wearing a mask in public is akin to thumbing your nose at the rest of us trying to protect you and yours.

Smart people are wearing masks, the dummies don’t, but then again they don’t understand science and are frequent winners of ‘Darwin Awards’. We need to accept there is new reality and adjust accordingly, many more folks will die or be screwed up before this is done.

Be free, just don’t be stupid.

FPD

Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more Jammer. I've had two friends with the virus. One nearly died. I'm also personally in the high risk group, as I'm on oxygen. If I get the virus...well, see ya. It may be politicized by our leaders (and others), but it's personal to me.

So, just wear the damned thing. It's actually really easy to do for most people. Get yourself a Seahawks mask and wear it proudly! I do!

Back on topic: Older, but nice article on the subject - What Happens to Player Contracts?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kf3339":jn43uk9z said:
Based on your reply, you are one of the many contributing to the ongoing problems we're all having to deal with. If everyone just stayed the hell home for a month without leaving, we'd be over all this already. Our federal government and supposed commander in chief being utterly useless the entire time certainly isn't helping either, though.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3tll6d23 said:
kf3339":3tll6d23 said:
Based on your reply, you are one of the many contributing to the ongoing problems we're all having to deal with. If everyone just stayed the hell home for a month without leaving, we'd be over all this already. Our federal government and supposed commander in chief being utterly useless the entire time certainly isn't helping either, though.
This guy gets it. ^ :2thumbs:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
kf3339":2p9tnjli said:
Appyhawk":2p9tnjli said:

It's a policy issue. There's no way this can't be a "political issue".

Some people have decided to make it a partisan issue, and unless your post is not representative of the way you feel and act, you're with the group making it a partisan issue.

We are mostly "open" in most states. We could have stayed the same the whole time, but the economy still would have ended up in a bad state, and most of the businesses that are suffering and closed would have had the same fate. It doesn't matter how "open" we are, people aren't going to be going to movie theaters, bars, restaurants, and on vacation in high numbers. People are getting sick with long-term health impacts and sometimes dying (when we're at 2,000 deaths/day we've increased the daily death rate in the country from all causes by 30%; and we're headed back that direction). Even with an absence of any government intervention, a large chunk of people won't be going out because they won't want to take the risks.

Until we deal with the underlying health issue, the economy is going to be dragging, as it has across the globe. We could actually get to a fairly normal state by just wearing masks and not being up on top of each other, but some choice people have decided that should be a partisan issue as well, so basically we're screwed until we find a vaccine or we get almost everybody to pull their heads out of their butts.

And we could have a vaccine heavily distributed today, and we'd still be dealing with a massive economic hole we have to work to recover from because of everything that has happened across the globe. While we've done a spectacular job of having a terrible response to this, the damage was done many places and we don't operate in isolation.

I'm interested to see if the NFL even makes it two games. It seems like the new case rates in the states that were going up really fast seem to be getting lower, but the resulting hospitalization/death rates are lagging and the impact on public sentiment will be telling. Once the weather starts getting cooler, people who insist on not wearing masks or taking other precautions will spend more time indoors and probably make this much worse. Even if they get a few games into the season it can just sour fast.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1enzh04l said:
kf3339":1enzh04l said:
Appyhawk":1enzh04l said:

It's a policy issue. There's no way this can't be a "political issue".

Some people have decided to make it a partisan issue, and unless your post is not representative of the way you feel and act, you're with the group making it a partisan issue.

We are mostly "open" in most states. We could have stayed the same the whole time, but the economy still would have ended up in a bad state, and most of the businesses that are suffering and closed would have had the same fate. It doesn't matter how "open" we are, people aren't going to be going to movie theaters, bars, restaurants, and on vacation in high numbers. People are getting sick with long-term health impacts and sometimes dying (when we're at 2,000 deaths/day we've increased the daily death rate in the country from all causes by 30%; and we're headed back that direction). Even with an absence of any government intervention, a large chunk of people won't be going out because they won't want to take the risks.

Until we deal with the underlying health issue, the economy is going to be dragging, as it has across the globe. We could actually get to a fairly normal state by just wearing masks and not being up on top of each other, but some choice people have decided that should be a partisan issue as well, so basically we're screwed until we find a vaccine or we get almost everybody to pull their heads out of their butts.

And we could have a vaccine heavily distributed today, and we'd still be dealing with a massive economic hole we have to work to recover from because of everything that has happened across the globe. While we've done a spectacular job of having a terrible response to this, the damage was done many places and we don't operate in isolation.

I'm interested to see if the NFL even makes it two games. It seems like the new case rates in the states that were going up really fast seem to be getting lower, but the resulting hospitalization/death rates are lagging and the impact on public sentiment will be telling. Once the weather starts getting cooler, people who insist on not wearing masks or taking other precautions will spend more time indoors and probably make this much worse. Even if they get a few games into the season it can just sour fast.
Political issue???, this goddam virus don't give a shit about your political affiliation, it's an equal opportunity killer...JUST DO YOUR PART, DO RIGHT BY other folks' loved ones, and help to derail this goddam scourge on humanity....Why the hell is it that almost Every Other Country On This Planet, is driving down their damned infect numbers EXCEPT the "Good Ol USA" .....It's because SELFISH ignorance is running rampant, and hates reform, EVEN IF IT'S FOR THEIR OWN DAMNED KNOW IT ALL GOOD! :smilie=angry016.gif:
Sorry, Rant Over.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":32u795hn said:
Political issue???, this goddam virus don't give a $h!t about your political affiliation, it's an equal opportunity killer...JUST DO YOUR PART, DO RIGHT BY other folks' loved ones, and help to derail this goddam scourge on humanity....Why the hell is it that almost Every Other Country On This Planet, is driving down their damned infect numbers EXCEPT the "Good Ol USA" .....It's because SELFISH ignorance is running rampant, and hates reform, EVEN IF IT'S FOR THEIR OWN DAMNED KNOW IT ALL GOOD! :smilie=angry016.gif:
Sorry, Rant Over.

Well, about that. Check out Australia.

Be mindful of your own health. Be thoughtful of others where possible. Be unselfish enough to let others be.