A three-safety defense is a real possibility.

Jville

Reaction score
A three-safety defense would be a welcomed change.

I'd like to see that possibility grow into a reality. Doesn't matter to me whether it's a 4-2 big nickel or 3-3 big nickel or something else. It would be an engaging and entertaining change to a constantly evolving defense.

Link >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/five-things-we-learned-from-seahawks-coach-pete-carroll-s-monday-press-conferenc[/urltargetblank]

[youtube]XZeD0A6wTz4[/youtube]

sutz

Reaction score
I thought we used to use that a lot, where the 5th DB was more of a safety than a CB.

I know the base-11 we played a lot last year got us burned a lot, but that was because we had kind of a weak secondary and strong LBs. Our LBs might not be as strong this year, and they've added a lot to the DB group. This sounds good.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I'm thinking Pete is looking at SF and George Kittle specifically as something they need to control and a fast safety might be the best choice. Amadi for the small quick slot guys and the third safety for the 2TE sets that SF likes.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Hawks are always adapting their defense to their personnel, despite what a few people on here parrot.

We used a three safety defense extensively in the first half of 2017 when we first signed McDougald but still had Kam and Earl. His usage was highly match-up dependent, as we didn't play him much against the Rams, but then he was very good as a slot safety against Evan Engram in the Giants game. Of course once Kam went down with the career ending injury then McDougald moved into the strong safety role.

Blair looks to be the slot safety this season in much of the same role. Perhaps Adams will also draw coverage responsibilities vs Kittle. Amadi is also listed as a safety this year on the roster, and we could see him against the Christian Kirk types.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we still run a lot of base, given Brooks speed and how much they seem to like him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You could literally argue that we lost 2 SuperBowls because our safeties were injured.

Certainly the first one.

Both Kam and Earl being hurt in the 2nd SB had a big part in how 'the defense allowed the Patriots to come back' in that last SB.

(Though you could argue it was less the injured safeties and more that Carroll bafflingly chose not to even include our best CB against slot receivers on the SB roster. But playing with 2 injured safeties and an injured CB were key contributing factors in our loss.)

If there is any lesson for this franchise - it is that you can never have too many safeties.

I would be stoked to see a 3 safety defense, especially considering 2 of our safeties would be hitting like LBs.

olyfan63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3i7b3p0x said:
You could literally argue that we lost 2 SuperBowls because our safeties were injured.

Certainly the first one.

Both Kam and Earl being hurt in the 2nd SB had a big part in how 'the defense allowed the Patriots to come back' in that last SB.

(Though you could argue it was less the injured safeties and more that Carroll bafflingly chose not to even include our best CB against slot receivers on the SB roster. But playing with 2 injured safeties and an injured CB were key contributing factors in our loss.)

If there is any lesson for this franchise - it is that you can never have too many safeties.

I would be stoked to see a 3 safety defense, especially considering 2 of our safeties would be hitting like LBs.

I've noticed that commonality in our two SB losses and made that argument too.
I'd generalize it beyond "safeties" and make it "DBs" including safeties and corners. Jeremy Lane was a CB most of the time, from what I saw. It's a roster and depth management issue as well.

SBLXIX: (49) Brady, Edelman, and Amendola TORCH Tharald Simon to come back in 4th Qtr
Jeremy Lane picks off Brady in the end zone, then gets a blown ACL and a shattered forearm on the return, meaning we go to the bench for next-man-up DB, and somehow it's Tharald Simon. AFAIK, it was a game-day rostering brain fart. If anybody knows what Pete was thinking, leaving slot corner Marcus Burley a healthy scratch and having injured+sucky Tharald "Toast" Simon active instead, to get torched by Edelman and Amendola and lose the game for us, I'd love to hear the explanation. Pete had the horses on the team, had planned for and rostered the needed experienced depth (Unlike Holmgren) but didn't foresee the scenario that occurred.

SBXL: SS Marquand Manuel goes down in 2nd Qtr, Stealers Exploit Street Free Agent Etric Pruitt
Willie Parker's 70-yard TD run, Randal-El's option pass, among other plays. Basically, we were down to a street free agent to step in at Strong Safety. Stealers saw that and exploited it, along with the whacky reffing, that led to the L. This one was a Holmgren/Ruskell roster management issue.

sc85sis

Reaction score
olyfan63":2mvcv5nc said:
TwistedHusky":2mvcv5nc said:

Certainly the first one.

I've noticed that commonality in our two SB losses and made that argument too.
I'd generalize it beyond "safeties" and make it "DBs" including safeties and corners. Jeremy Lane was a CB most of the time, from what I saw. It's a roster and depth management issue as well.

SBLXIX: (49) Brady, Edelman, and Amendola TORCH Tharald Simon to come back in 4th Qtr
Jeremy Lane picks off Brady in the end zone, then gets a blown ACL and a shattered forearm on the return, meaning we go to the bench for next-man-up DB, and somehow it's Tharald Simon. AFAIK, it was a game-day rostering brain fart. If anybody knows what Pete was thinking, leaving slot corner Marcus Burley a healthy scratch and having injured+sucky Tharald "Toast" Simon active instead, to get torched by Edelman and Amendola and lose the game for us, I'd love to hear the explanation. Pete had the horses on the team, had planned for and rostered the needed experienced depth (Unlike Holmgren) but didn't foresee the scenario that occurred.

SBXL: SS Marquand Manuel goes down in 2nd Qtr, Stealers Exploit Street Free Agent Etric Pruitt
Willie Parker's 70-yard TD run, Randal-El's option pass, among other plays. Basically, we were down to a street free agent to step in at Strong Safety. Stealers saw that and exploited it, along with the whacky reffing, that led to the L. This one was a Holmgren/Ruskell roster management issue.
Kam, Earl, and Sherm were all hobbled in that game. Lane went out during the game with that gruesome injury. Still, Brady wasn't torching anyone until Avril went out with a concussion, and the pass rush was limited. That was the final straw that broke the camel’s back.