Seahawks Claim a CB

Jville

Reaction score
........ and kick & punt return candidate ...... leaving no stone unturned ......... special teams matter.

During his two seasons with the Niners Reed logged just 485 defensive snaps, however, he played 351 special teams snaps during his time there, including returning 11 kickoffs for the 49ers in 2018. That would seem to indicate that Seattle could see Reed filling multiple special teams roles going forward. >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/8/5/21356186/seattle-seahawks-claim-dj-reed-off-waivers-san-francisco-49ers-safety-adams-diggs[/urltargetblank]

keasley45

Reaction score
I guess if he can ball at returner, can't hurt. Personally have seen enough of small cb's in seattle. They have to be exceptional to contribute against bigger bodied wr's. 5'9"? Even kelly jennings was 5'11.

JenningsGreenBayPackersvSeattleG5tjaQUp all

xray

Reaction score
Carroll is trying to reenact the LOB somehow. He knows his chances are few to make a deep run or better with the time he has left on his contract . IMO

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
keasley45":3d1mpdpm said:
I guess if he can ball at returner, can't hurt. Personally have seen enough of small cb's in seattle. They have to be exceptional to contribute against bigger bodied wr's. 5'9"? Even kelly jennings was 5'11.

Jennings wasn’t necessarily “small.”

It wasn’t until Carroll got here that “big” corners became the thing in the league.

There have been plenty of corners that are 5’ 11” that are very capable of playing corner.

Kelly Jennings just was not successful at the pro level.

Darrelle Revis is 5’ 11” and a few people consider him a capable corner. Just a few. Lmao.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Still adding whenever an opportunity presents itself. JS still chugging along, looking under all the rocks. Can’t hurt type addition at a cheap price.

Most likely a special teams addition but is capable of playing CB too.

Not super fast but has a history of being a solid returner.

Interesting addition.

Jville

Reaction score
Appyhawk":mctzyh1z said:
Doubtless the FO saw something in Reed's performance they liked. But since he will likely not be available to play this year I suspect this is their way of recouping a lost draft pick for next year.

That's a helpful perspective.

I would also like to think the staff is getting serious about beginning to minimize Tyler Lockett's exposure on special teams. As the number one receiver, managing Lockett's snaps and reducing his risk to injury would seem to be a desirable goal. Reed could certainly address that need.

keasley45

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3shj9ddy said:
keasley45":3shj9ddy said:

It wasn’t until Carroll got here that “big” corners became the thing in the league.

There have been plenty of corners that are 5’ 11” that are very capable of playing corner.

Darrelle Revis is 5’ 11” and a few people consider him a capable corner. Just a few. Lmao.

Revis is a legend, no doubt, but i'd wager if you took a quick look at the physical stats of the upper echelon cb's in the league, particularly in the last couple of decades, they are at minimum 5'11". Every once and again you'll get a darrel green who was 5'-9" and is no doubt an all time great, but again, he had world class speed, literally - exceptionally gifted.

And as much as i love what Revis did, he was a finesse guy. The Seahawks under Carrol are all smash mouth

So agree that Carrol's style is big and physical. i remember a quote from an opposing team's player (i think) about how imposing the hawks db's were in the LOB days... and that was just at seeing them get off the team bus,. I'm all for that. Big. menacing, intimidating, and playing with ferocious speed. Bring that back 10x over. it hypes up the whole team - something that was a key ingredient to the teams success previously. On D, there was a constant highlight real of attacking play and ferocious hits, then when the O got the ball (and Bevell wasnt screwing up) Lynch was plowing folks and even the wr's were laying wood. It was like gasoline on a fire.

This signing - i agree with the last post that this is more than likely getting a player that has some versatiity but is mostly to give lockett a break at returner. and if he can get on the field in a dime type scenario against a smaller slot guy, that's a plus. But give me the big, long corners and safety's all day. And if they arent that big or long, then let them bring the pain at 150mph every play like ET did.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":riqmtub8 said:
keasley45":riqmtub8 said:

It wasn't Jennings height that was an issue, it was his slenderness and his lack of ability to play the ball. He was always tight in coverage but never turned his head and couldn't tackle.

keasley45

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3tjh97as said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3tjh97as said:
keasley45":3tjh97as said:

It wasn't Jennings height that was an issue, it was his slenderness and his lack of ability to play the ball. He was always tight in coverage but never turned his head and couldn't tackle.

Didnt mean to make this about jennings. He was a hawk. Rooted for him every play and he was far from bad. Just the observation that a 5'9" cb is going to struggle against bigger receivers unless he brings some extraordinary measureables to the table.
And 5'9" doesn't fit the mold of Caroll's defense.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Nickell Robey-Coleman has had a good career despite being a bit shorter than this guy. I have no idea whether they have similar skills or not, but if there's anything there, Pete can find it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Ugo Amadi is listed as 5'9. Although he's not playing cb for the Seahawks, Quandre Diggs is also 5'9. I think Pete values ability and potential more than height.