SEA reportedly interested in Mathews/Griffen

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
There were reports of Seattle’s interest in the two defenders previously, but nothing ever materialized. Apparently since talks with Clowney and his team have gone nowhere, Seattle looks ready to move on.

Months after allowing star pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney to hit free agency, the Seahawks "appear to have moved on" from their 2019 trade acquisition, according to NFL Network's Mike Silver. And they've got two names on their radar as potential replacements, per Silver: Clay Matthews and Everson Griffen.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seah ... er-report/

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Please not Matthews. Not only do I have an intense disliking for the guy, I don't see where he serves a role in our new look defense. I guess he could be a backup, or maybe some sort of rotational piece. I just think we already have everything he would bring in younger, healthier packages. He would need to come super cheap.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Plus side on Clay, if we signed him - at least he wouldn't be taking cheap shots at Wilson during games.

John63

Reaction score
I like Griffen not sure of Matthews though.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Matthews can get lost...how many times has he intentionally tried to injure Wilson? Not to mention he is done. Save the money for someone else unless they are hiring him to sanitize toilet bowls.

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1i32oc1j said:
Please not Matthews. Not only do I have an intense disliking for the guy, I don't see where he serves a role in our new look defense. I guess he could be a backup, or maybe some sort of rotational piece. I just think we already have everything he would bring in younger, healthier packages. He would need to come super cheap.

Maybe we may grow to forgive and embrace him as the whiners have Sherman?? :stirthepot:

Jville

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":292n3q0u said:
bigskydoc":292n3q0u said:

Maybe we may grow to forgive and embrace him as the whiners have Sherman?? :stirthepot:

I don't know about embracing him. But, exercising selective memory might work.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Clay Matthews? Guys older than dirt. It would be a major disappointment if the Hawks sign him.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
he'd probably try to injure him in practice..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2rhg61za said:
Clay Matthews? Guys older than dirt. It would be a major disappointment if the Hawks sign him.

I hate Matthews too, but dude had eight sacks last year.

I'd rather have Clowney or Griffen, but Matthews can still play, and lord knows we need more pass rushers.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think we'd have a great shot at the championship if we signed these two. The middle of our D-Line and offensive line is still extremely suspect --- buuut I think Adams and Wagner would be able to make up for that in the run game at least. Griffin and Irvin is a decent rotation, and throw in Matthews coming off of the LB spot and this defense would have the potential to have a good pass rush.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":1oh61ibf said:
There were reports of Seattle’s interest in the two defenders previously, but nothing ever materialized. Apparently since talks with Clowney and his team have gone nowhere, Seattle looks ready to move on.

Months after allowing star pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney to hit free agency, the Seahawks "appear to have moved on" from their 2019 trade acquisition, according to NFL Network's Mike Silver. And they've got two names on their radar as potential replacements, per Silver: Clay Matthews and Everson Griffen.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seah ... er-report/

With reports that the team has apparently “moved on” from Clowney, I now fully expect to see him signed by the Seahawks by next week. :greetingsearthling: :snack:
Smoke, mirrors and misdirection.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I trust very little from the media and their reports these days. I think it will Griffin. But hey, if they bring in Matthews and he contributes, fine. I don't hate the guy like many, but Griffin would fit better in this D, just my opinion. Not a fan of his cheap shot in the NFC Championship game, but seeing him and the rest of the packers stunned was priceless. And a big part of sports has always been there: Hate x player, he then comes to your team and you get over it. Or at least you should if he contributes and it's a complete tool :irishdrinkers:

Perfect example was Ricky Watters. Couldn't stand that guy before he came here. But, he was a damn good addition and I was glad he was here. Sports hate is a little different. And it's not like Matthews sucked last year, just sayin.
I prefer Clowney, but I'm done wondering if he'll come here. In fact, I expect him not to.

Griffen would be a hell of an addition.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Both of these guys are "old."

But if I had to pick between the two, I'd probably go with Griffen.

It would be cool to see 3 Griffi(e)ns on the field at the same time!

Besides, Clay Matthews has tried to kill Wilson on several occasions. That bothers me.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Griff could fill at DT. Not Mathews. Clowney is like Adams. He can play anywhere.
I hope oldhawk get's this one right. And that they brought B. Jackson back on the cheap instead of signing one of the other 2 guys makes me hopeful they haven't actually thrown in their Clowney cards.

xray

Reaction score
Aren't they getting low on funds ?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
OTC.com says the present available cap is $15,242,038 after factoring all the rookie contracts now signed.

Of course there may need to be a reserve for potential ‘in season’ injuries and replacements, but contract guarantees can be spread out or salary converted to bonus and amortized over a longer period, i.e.: cap borrowing. That is a strong cap position. There are one or two deals as well that could be cut if needed which could produce a healthy claw back.

To me there is still a real ability to sign almost any player the team wants.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2980ywma said:
I haven't seen a current workup but have seen estimates that we're currently sitting on about 10M.

Here's the latest cap estimate that includes our most recent acquisitions, ie DJ Reid. $15.2M, which probably explains why we've (apparently) moved on from Clowney.

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't care if Mathews had 20 sacks last year. He is finished and he is a cheap shot artist that I don't want to ever see in a Hawks uni!! :141847_bnono: