It just doesn't feel the same this year

MO Hawk

Reaction score
Normally, I am so excited for training camp to open and for preseason games to begin. I'm usually excited for the regular season to start and to be able to fly to Seattle for a game to experience the atmosphere pregame around the stadium, in the stadium and the game time experience that is like no other place in the NFL

This year is different.

There is a sense of hopelessness for me that maybe none of the trades, improvements, player or coaches comments really matter. It's like we are going through the motions of a normal season, but it's not. And down inside I'm not convinced there will even be a season or playoffs.

Should I enjoy whatever we have under the circumstances? Should I tune out this year and wait for next year? Will the season and games ever sart? What if the season is cancelled, Pete retires and key roster moves are all for not?

How should I feel about this year? Am I the only one that feels this way? So far, even with training camp starting, it feels nothing like past years. How are some of you processing the preseason and this year? What can I do to get excited about this year?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m enjoying the preseason discussions. After that when the season starts I’ll watch until the first Seahawk disrespects the flag then I’ll turn off the rest of the season and follow half heartedly through box scores and this forum. I moved out of Seattle so the games are not on very often anyway.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
^fairly certain politics is not what the op was talking about...

I'm with you as well. Just cant get excited. Unless they do the bubble for the season I doubt it works. I could see the season getting reduced to 10 games...if it happens at all

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MO Hawk":bsdbg6fl said:
Should I enjoy whatever we have under the circumstances?

You always should be doing this.

Criticism of the team, players, whatever, that's fine, it comes with the deal. But if you can't enjoy what you have at the time at a reasonable level, even with the disappointments, it seems weird to watch. If the real life versions of some of the people who post here are indeed as angry and miserable consistently about this team the last few years despite the fact that there was a lot to enjoy, that's disconcerting when thinking about them.

On a bigger scale of life, people really should enjoy the things they have when they have them. That's not to say you shouldn't want and work towards better. But ignoring or throwing away good things because they're not "good enough" isn't good. Those things can be lost, sometimes in an instant.

KinesProf

Reaction score
MO Hawk":1fbg1s0y said:
This year is different.

There is a sense of hopelessness for me

I am really sorry to hear that. My suggestion would be to lean into enjoying sports, regardless of how the product is presented. Use those moments when you're enjoying sports to distract yourself, even if temporarily, from the hopelessness you're feeling. :2thumbs:

xray

Reaction score
66 players have opted out for the 2020 season , with almost half being lineman =31 . There are many top end players that will not be playing this year . If there is a season it will be a second rate version of the original , and teams that win their divisions may be labeled as not being good but being lucky .

Uncle Si

Reaction score
xray":go18kyj0 said:
66 players have opted out for the 2020 season , with almost half being lineman =31 . There are many top end players that will not be playing this year . If there is a season it will be a second rate version of the original , and teams that win their divisions may be labeled as not being good but being lucky .

How many of those 66 don't make a roster in normal circumstances? Or are back ups?

There are maybe 10 players I've seen opt out that are impact players for their team. How many players like that miss through injury. Thats why there is free agency.

There seems to be a misery race to make this impossible or meaningless. Its strange to me, how people need to share their defeatism

Cyrus12

Reaction score
xray":3fl1n0sc said:
Most of em seemed like fringe players to me. I was expecting Matt Stafford to opt out but really not many big names whatsoever.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2b3d8g4b said:
xray":2b3d8g4b said:
Most of em seemed like fringe players to me. I was expecting Matt Stafford to opt out but really not many big names whatsoever.

Stafford was a false positive.

xray

Reaction score
Players are constantly tested in camp right now everywhere. The're will be positives that have to Quarantine for 14 days all over the league . This season will not be what we want . But on the bright side, if there is no season at all, Wilson won't have to eat 45-50 sacks . :D

Uncle Si

Reaction score
xray":1qa2sqz2 said:
Players are constantly tested in camp right now everywhere. The're will be positives that have to Quarantine for 14 days all over the league . This season will not be what we want . But on the bright side, if there is no season at all, Wilson won't have to eat 45-50 sacks . :D

Look at English soccer...

20000 tests once training started. 18 positives.

Only positive players quarabtune, not while teams

chris98251

Reaction score
I think a lot of it is the lack of build up, seeing players practice, camps, pre season games to actually see what may be and who may be around. Then the unknown about the season as well. Little real news about camps from other teams, and then all the negative stuff associated with the Virus and questions.

Jville

Reaction score
I tend to breakout a typical season into four parts.

Part 1 is the off season roster building with free agency, draft, more free agency and OTA coverage.
Part 2 is training camp and preseason with coverage.
Part 3 is the regular season competition for a division crown.
Part 4 is the sudden death playoff tournament culminating in a super bowl extravaganza.
...............................................................................................................................

Part 1 ...... has skipped or delayed an off season feature or two.

Part 2 ...... preseason has been cancelled with no fans at the VMAC or Century Link.

Par 3 ....... the trend suggests it gonna be very different and uncertain.

Part 4 ....... ??????

................................................................................................................................

I suspect there are some teams out there sandbagging for future draft picks and some will chose to use some or much of the season to conduct auditions for 2021. Consistency and the competitive spectacle should suffer. We could see a lot more in the way of blowouts this season.

This year is definitely different. Never the less, it should unfold as instructive and in it's own unique way entertaining.

Stay tuned in. This season will separate the real competitors from the posers. Just watch ;)

warden

Reaction score
24th year of being a season ticket holder. With this Covid thing, I just don’t want to be in any large gathering period
Probably stay home this season

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Maulbert":1bi991zj said:
Cyrus12":1bi991zj said:
xray":1bi991zj said:

Stafford was a false positive.
I figured with his wife's issues and his horrible back he would take the year off

Msfann

Reaction score
I'm very excited for the team, but I'm worried that a lot of it will be for nothing if the season gets canceled.

It's not the time for large groups of people to be hanging out together so I don't blame the players and fans for wanting to stay away right now to be safe.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
With all the crap that’s happening in the world right now, some NFL football no matter how it may look may be what we all need.

I’ll take some football right now any way I can get it.

People are down right now and football for 3 hours is a good pick me up.

I’ll take it.

I love football.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2cev8yqz said:
With all the crap that’s happening in the world right now, some NFL football no matter how it may look may be what we all need.

I’ll take some football right now any way I can get it.

People are down right now and football for 3 hours is a good pick me up.

I’ll take it.

I love football.
This is exactly how I see it too.
Even a bad love is better than no sex at all :lol:

andyh64000

Reaction score
I agree, this year has felt way different. Usually I am counting the days, analyzing training camp and preseason. This year, I am not even convinced we will have a season. MLB looks like it could completely fall apart at any moment and NFL will be far more difficult to hold together. I wish they would just find a couple of sites and create a bubble.