Practice Squad rules as of 2020

ivotuk

Reaction score

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hey my friend, these above were the rules before the COVID changes. Your report is where things were by recent CBA changes prior to the recent COVID changes. Things may revert back to that after this season or not.

The PS numbers are now 16 instead of 12, with 6 players of the 16 being able to be experienced players with no limit on the number of accrued seasons they've played (another major change), of the 16 players the team every Tuesday can designate 4 players of the 16 protected so they can't be signed by another team to that team's active roster.

Things will be different as to how the PS will wok this season. I'd expect JS to work these changes a lot this season if past history means much.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thank you sir! I heard the new rules on 710 and found an article dated June 10 that "appeared" to be correct.

I'll see if I can dig up a correct link...after my nap of course. :les:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
No worries this is arcane stuff and the information on it is not easily found. What you posted was right up until the latest COVID accommodation changes. These rules appear to be changing to meet circumstances.

Things may change from what is presently in place if the infection uptake starts to increase.

I haven’t been able to find out a whole lot myself but do know the PS limit has been raised to 16 from the recent change from 10 to 12. Further that up to 6 players may be veterans with any level of accrued experience and that every team can weekly designate 4 players as protected. Here's my source https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... oronavirus However, listening to Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller on XM Sirius NFL radio these appear to be the rules. Earlier in the roster thread I set out at page 6 the rules as presently in place to my understanding and had tried with the able help of able poster flv had tried to recap the post CBA changes ( bottom page 4 - top page 5) which were of course not well understood b/c they are simply not well reported. As said above this stuff is not well understood as yet so it's easy to get wrong. Once again I ask if anyone has access to the rules book or can find the present roster rules they'd be well appreciated by us all.

Other than that the same old rules apply to claiming PS players from other teams, and that to get to the PS from the active roster the player must first be subject to waivers or release.

The rules on injured reserve players have also changed and any number of IR players can be recalled to the active roster provided they spent 3 weeks on IR. Any number of players can go on COVID Reserve and need to pass testing protocols to be allowed to return, when on this reserve the player is not considered an active roster player.