Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poll: Will Pete let Russ cook in 2020-2021?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13

Simple poll: Will Pete let Russ cook for the 2020-2021 NFL Season?

Yes - Open offensive playbook sometime in the first half through the season
44%
No - Trust the formula, Russ can cook when needed
56%

Total votes : 45

• Simple poll: Will Pete let Russ cook for the 2020-2021 NFL Season (not 1-2 games)?
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

• Cook? Are we talking Executive chef, head chef or sous chef? I think maybe a better analogy would be driving. As a parent who has gone through kids getting their licenses and then driving off alone for the first time, this makes more sense to me. Let Russ cook or let Russ have the keys to the car and go where he pleases?

The let “Russ cook” argument has been going on for awhile now so I highly doubt that narrative will change. Russ is the perfect QB to go old school and call his own plays. Let him cook, let him drive. He’ll let him be the OC.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• Here comes Jim Moore: The Cooking People
    So damn stupid
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Here comes Jim Moore: The Cooking People
    So damn stupid

I cannot stand that term or Jim Moore.
    But yes they need to open up the playbook in the 1st half and not wait until 2 minutes left in then half to open it up.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• You mean the QB's who's now a top 2-3 elite perennial All Pro that's in the top 5 of every statistical category that matters and is on his way to the HOF?

Yeah we should definitely stop all this and do something different.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Define exactly what that will look like, please.

I'm curious, SportsHernia, how different that would look than what the Hawks actually did this past season. Please be very specific, on a play-by-play basis, or some examples that aren't just generalities. I'm not implying you cannot do this; but that I've not yet seen clear examples (down-and-distance type O-Cord. decisions) shown as to a better way by those arguing "yes" to this poll.

Maybe it's just an execution problem early on, and not specifically play-calling. I guess I just need to know more before I can honestly take the poll.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• It may be an execution problem or it may be being to predicable. It usually looks like the other team has the Seahawks game plan for the 1st half. They need to be less predictable coming out of the gate. If it's an execution issue, this should've been coached out & fixed years ago.
    notyou
    NET Rookie

• Sgt. Largent wrote:You mean the QB's who's now a top 2-3 elite perennial All Pro that's in the top 5 of every statistical category that matters and is on his way to the HOF?

Yeah we should definitely stop all this and do something different.

It’s a simple fix. Play all quarters like you play the 4th qtr.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Ad Hawk wrote:Define exactly what that will look like, please.

I'm curious, SportsHernia, how different that would look than what the Hawks actually did this past season. Please be very specific, on a play-by-play basis, or some examples that aren't just generalities. I'm not implying you cannot do this; but that I've not yet seen clear examples (down-and-distance type O-Cord. decisions) shown as to a better way by those arguing "yes" to this poll.

Maybe it's just an execution problem early on, and not specifically play-calling. I guess I just need to know more before I can honestly take the poll.

I didn’t know Pete and Marty had an account here, just joking. 8)

All I’m saying is play every quarter like the do the 4th quarter. It’s not that difficult of a concept to understand.
    Quit being predictable in the first half. Don’t be so content to punt in the first half.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I don't know what Pete will do, so I can't answer the poll. Based on past history, I'd say its unlikely. However, if the question was should instead of will, then the answer would be a resounding yes.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• Erebus wrote:I don't know what Pete will do, so I can't answer the poll. Based on past history, I'd say its unlikely. However, if the question was should instead of will, then the answer would be a resounding yes.

And that is my actual poll question. Will he? Way different than what people want him to do..
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

• Season 9 coming up for Wilson . Only one person can F-up his season .
    xray
    NET Veteran

• I voted yes, but I know it's no :(
    Teahawks
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Ad Hawk wrote:Define exactly what that will look like, please.

I don't know about "Sports Hernia", but for me?, it's a matter of TRUST, trust in whether or not, you trust your Quarterback to make the right decisions while under the gun, BEFORE the 4th quarter gets under way...IF Russ is pulling the Coaches fat out of the fire in the last 15 minutes to win the game?, why not TRUST him to start EARLIER in the game, instead of waiting for the opponent to DICTATE, and sometimes lock up the game....IF other Coaches know that Wilson is under constraints, they will hold their load, just like the Packers did in the Playoffs.....Trust Russ, or trust the man on the side-lines >>> Schottenheimer....I know where my faith lies....A top 3 Quarterback...PERIOD.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• As good as RW's stats have been, they could be so much better, namely in the most important category of all - wins, playoffs, and the Super Bowl.

It's been too little too late for too long for the Seahawks the last few seasons.

Pete's time is nearly up.

This is Wilson's team.

In Wilson we trust.
    RW4LIFE
    NET Bench Warmer

• So far, nobody has shown specifics of down-and-distance specific decisions that should be different. You're just noting the same generalities as usual.

Is Russ as successful as he is in the 2nd half BECAUSE of the first-half rope-a-dope, or conservative play-calling, or what have you? I'm not blindly defending PC's approach; there'a a good chance his game should change with Russ behind center. But I can't vote on this poll until I know more than a few fans saying "turn Russ loose."

Where's the actual evidence of what plays were called, why they were called in those specific situations, and what PC's actual philosophy is, not what fans, educated as they may be in football generally, surmise about the specifics of this team?
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Pete’s not holding RW up. He is holding him down. Imagine if he let RW play the other half of games? He might finally get a way overdue MVP vote or two.

The answer is No.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter

• Ad Hawk wrote:So far, nobody has shown specifics of down-and-distance specific decisions that should be different. You're just noting the same generalities as usual.

Is Russ as successful as he is in the 2nd half BECAUSE of the first-half rope-a-dope, or conservative play-calling, or what have you? I'm not blindly defending PC's approach; there'a a good chance his game should change with Russ behind center. But I can't vote on this poll until I know more than a few fans saying "turn Russ loose."

Where's the actual evidence of what plays were called, why they were called in those specific situations, and what PC's actual philosophy is, not what fans, educated as they may be in football generally, surmise about the specifics of this team?

I know this is not what you are looking for but I’ll answer your question with a Few questions.

Why do the Hawks consistently look like garbage in the 1st half of games except the last 2 minutes of the half?

Does Russ just decide to suck during that time?

Or is it piss poor game planning?

Piss poor offensive playcalling?

All of the above?

Some of the above?

Pete has said he likes games close in the 4th qtr. ...and as much as I love the guy I don’t get that mindset.
    If you can blow a teams doors off early, then do it.

I know the counter argument will be “hey they are successful with it, why change it?”

Well because if they score more in the first half, and play every qtr like the 4th, their win totals will almost certainly increase.

Why was XLVIII such an awesome game? Because they blew the doors off the Donks and kept their foot on the gas the entire game.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Pete won't let Russ cook? Who prepares Russ's meals then?
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia post:

Pete has said he likes games close in the 4th qtr. ...and as much as I love the guy I don’t get that mindset.
    If you can blow a teams doors off early, then do it.

I completely agree Sports Hernia! It is one of the things that really annoys me about PC. I can't think of any past really successful HC that has that mentality. There may be some out there, but I can't think of any.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• What I think Pete wants is the team engaged for 4 quarters really, blowing out early and losing the edge has bit teams as well. It can bite you sometimes but the flip side is late game heroics sometimes bite you as well.

Trust me I would rather see a 21 point advantage going into the second half if we can do that every week and feel they can hold with a good defense rather then have to come from behind in the 4th and hope the defense can get a turnover.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• The answer is NO- its the only way PC knows
    John63
    NET Veteran

• so sick of the term 'let Russ cook'.

Because that is not what we want who wants a more varied offense.

If run isn't working, can they try something different? Can they not be so predictable? Can we have a lead at half? Can we not do the definition of insanity for 3 quarters?
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:So far, nobody has shown specifics of down-and-distance specific decisions that should be different. You're just noting the same generalities as usual.

'2015' or was it '2016', Playing against Rapistbuger & the Stealers,,,,You know,,,, when Russell Wilson was allowed to OPEN UP & COOK for the entire game?, Back when Cable's Offensive line SUCKED, and Wilson & Baldwin went on a tear?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• scutterhawk wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:So far, nobody has shown specifics of down-and-distance specific decisions that should be different. You're just noting the same generalities as usual.

'2015' or was it '2016', Playing against Rapistbuger & the Stealers,,,,You know,,,, when Russell Wilson was allowed to OPEN UP & COOK for the entire game?, Back when Cable's Offensive line SUCKED, and Wilson & Baldwin went on a tear?

I'll even give you another game--vs. D Watson and the Texans where we went toe-to-toe with them and won.

But that doesn't explain exactly/specifically how those games differed in either play-calling or philosophy, etc. Let's talk football at a more analytical level, not just generalities.

I think all Hawk fans agree on the outcome we'd like to see--more wins, less close games, early leads, etc.--but the path to all of those is by no means self-evident, even for those shouting "be less predictable" or "call screens when being blitzed" or "attempt more run-after-catch crossers over the middle" (which we rarely do, but did against Pittsburgh to some effect).

In the end, the only one I care about really is wins. We do that more than most teams, so perhaps a slight offensive shift is all that is necessary. But what specifically is that shift? Is it just as simple as let Russ call all offensive plays? Is that what "cooking" means to you? To the OP?
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• More of this game “let Russ cook”
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

• ZagHawk wrote:More of this game “let Russ cook”

One can only hope so.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:So far, nobody has shown specifics of down-and-distance specific decisions that should be different. You're just noting the same generalities as usual.

I'll even give you another game--vs. D Watson and the Texans where we went toe-to-toe with them and won.

But that doesn't explain exactly/specifically how those games differed in either play-calling or philosophy, etc. Let's talk football at a more analytical level, not just generalities.

I think all Hawk fans agree on the outcome we'd like to see--more wins, less close games, early leads, etc.--but the path to all of those is by no means self-evident, even for those shouting "be less predictable" or "call screens when being blitzed" or "attempt more run-after-catch crossers over the middle" (which we rarely do, but did against Pittsburgh to some effect).

In the end, the only one I care about really is wins. We do that more than most teams, so perhaps a slight offensive shift is all that is necessary. But what specifically is that shift? Is it just as simple as let Russ call all offensive plays? Is that what "cooking" means to you? To the OP?

Nobody can answer your question because nobody knows any of the specifics. They're just parroting what they hear everyone else say. We all want the offense to start faster and not have to come back late in games. Some of us fans get frustrated and glom onto whatever other fans are saying. If enough people say it, it must be correct right? Some of us fans know enough to know that we don't know enough about the in game specifics to comment on how to fix it.

I feel your pain though. Hearing/reading people just spout out generalities is pretty annoying.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Starter

It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information