Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ethan Pocic named starting center

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:33 pm
  • John63 wrote:Just to be clear, I hope he comes in and well is at least avg I would be happy with. However, to date his REAL PRO play is bad in pass blocking.

    and FYI 28th https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season


    and guess what they do it every year and every year we are near the bottom and every year that is where we end up. Form 2012-2015 I kept saying we will get better, but after 8 years till they prove it I don't buy it. And nothing in Pocics professional play shows him to be anything but bad in pass blocking


    Cool. Ethan's relevant experience at the position we're talking about is in college, not the pro's, so... I mean, still not really sure what your point is.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3348
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:45 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    graded 22 in pass blocking let help that SUCKS. Don't care how many games that si what we have as of now till we see something saying otherwise.


    That's crap. You've been shown multiple things saying otherwise based on his experience at CENTER, which is the position we're discussing. Your whole "known run blocker" narrative on Ethan has been blown to shreds. Grading a lineman based on a PFF grade for 22 snaps at an entirely different position is... hmm. I don't want to insult you, I'll insult the premise though - it's really, really, really, really dumb.

    That would be the same thing as me finding a 22 snap sample size of a positively graded Ifedi game at right guard and saying it makes him a stud right tackle. It makes less than zero sense, and you know it.


    its not cap it is his grade from his playing time as a pro, and he graded 22 all the stuff you guys are showing are form college or what people say. the FACT is he graded 22 as a pro. I mean what next you're going whip out his High school numbers? as a pro he graded 22 in pass protection done over. You can b!@ch about sample size all you want but that is all we have as a pro. he graded 22 maybe he will improve maybe not. As of now his Pro career he is a bad pass blocker. maybe that will chaneg we will see.


    He didn't grade 22 as a pro. He graded a 22 on a 22 snap sample size, which is about a 3rd of a full football game. It's a ridiculously low sample size, far too low to actually gain an understanding of a player. Not to mention, yet again, it was at an entirely different position than we're talking about currently. His most recent stuff at center is excellent college play showing near-best-in-nation pass blocking. You're being purposely obtuse, and if you honestly think Ethan Pocic has played 22 snaps as a pro, then you obviously have no authority on the subject.

    What an awful, nonsensical string of posts you've made in this thread.


    again 22 in pass protection sorry that is bad. you can make all the excuses you want but it is aweful.


    Since you want to complain about the 22 snaps his overall grade for 2019 based on 91 snaps was 43 which also sucks, and that is overall run and pass. in 2018 he had 296 snaps and graded 45 overall and 25 in pass blocking, 2017 639 snaps and graded 50 over all and 28 in pass blocking, so he has gotten worse in pass blocking.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2936
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:46 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    John63 wrote:Just to be clear, I hope he comes in and well is at least avg I would be happy with. However, to date his REAL PRO play is bad in pass blocking.

    and FYI 28th https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season


    and guess what they do it every year and every year we are near the bottom and every year that is where we end up. Form 2012-2015 I kept saying we will get better, but after 8 years till they prove it I don't buy it. And nothing in Pocics professional play shows him to be anything but bad in pass blocking


    Cool. Ethan's relevant experience at the position we're talking about is in college, not the pro's, so... I mean, still not really sure what your point is.


    Since you want to complain about the 22 snaps his overall grade for 2019 based on 91 snaps was 43 which also sucks, and that is overall run and pass. in 2018 he had 296 snaps and graded 45 overall and 25 in pass blocking, 2017 639 snaps and graded 50 over all and 28 in pass blocking, so he has gotten worse in pass blocking.

    so as a pro he has never been graded higher than 50 and in pass pro never higher than 28 that the point as a pro he has been well bad.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2936
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:50 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    That's crap. You've been shown multiple things saying otherwise based on his experience at CENTER, which is the position we're discussing. Your whole "known run blocker" narrative on Ethan has been blown to shreds. Grading a lineman based on a PFF grade for 22 snaps at an entirely different position is... hmm. I don't want to insult you, I'll insult the premise though - it's really, really, really, really dumb.

    That would be the same thing as me finding a 22 snap sample size of a positively graded Ifedi game at right guard and saying it makes him a stud right tackle. It makes less than zero sense, and you know it.


    its not cap it is his grade from his playing time as a pro, and he graded 22 all the stuff you guys are showing are form college or what people say. the FACT is he graded 22 as a pro. I mean what next you're going whip out his High school numbers? as a pro he graded 22 in pass protection done over. You can b!@ch about sample size all you want but that is all we have as a pro. he graded 22 maybe he will improve maybe not. As of now his Pro career he is a bad pass blocker. maybe that will chaneg we will see.


    He didn't grade 22 as a pro. He graded a 22 on a 22 snap sample size, which is about a 3rd of a full football game. It's a ridiculously low sample size, far too low to actually gain an understanding of a player. Not to mention, yet again, it was at an entirely different position than we're talking about currently. His most recent stuff at center is excellent college play showing near-best-in-nation pass blocking. You're being purposely obtuse, and if you honestly think Ethan Pocic has played 22 snaps as a pro, then you obviously have no authority on the subject.

    What an awful, nonsensical string of posts you've made in this thread.


    again 22 in pass protection sorry that is bad. you can make all the excuses you want but it is aweful.


    Since you want to complain about the 22 snaps his overall grade for 2019 based on 91 snaps was 43 which also sucks, and that is overall run and pass. in 2018 he had 296 snaps and graded 45 overall and 25 in pass blocking, 2017 639 snaps and graded 50 over all and 28 in pass blocking, so he has gotten worse in pass blocking.


    Whatever you say, John. Again, he was being moved around to entirely different positions than the one we're talking about, but go off. Blows my mind that someone would try to honestly use a 22 snap sample at a different position than the one being discussed as an actual evaluator of worth or talent for any position that isn't kicker/punter... and then to say that bringing up the ridiculously small sample size is an excuse? Good lord.

    Are you also still on the "known run blocker" train with Pocic? Ridiculous.

    Hopefully, at some point, we'll get back on topic to Ethan Pocic playing center instead of rehashing 22 snaps he played at guard.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3348
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:30 pm
  • Hey britt moved around alot before he became a good center why not pocic
    hawkcrazzed
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1147
    Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:55 am
    Location: Toronto Canada


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:59 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    sutz wrote:If we were a team that featured a ton of drop back passing the argument might make sense. But we're not.

    The Seahawks depend on a balanced attack using play action passing, which requires a top run game. The team depends on that focus to give the QB and receivers an extra step off of the play action to get set up and execute.

    We really do emphasize run blocking over pass blocking in our O-line and there is a logical reason for it. It's also the reason we use a FB more than other teams around the league.



    That should scare you even more that given all you just said Wilson still has led the league in hits, hurries, pressures and sacks since 2012., and goes to my point we have done little to improve pass blocking and are playing with fire.


    And yet somehow, we are still better than most of the rest of the league, including a lot of teams that invest in the quick passing game everyone covets. And we pull this stuff off every single year.

    If the fact that we haven't won every Super Bowl since 2014 is your only proof that the system isn't working, then every team out there except the Patriots is terrible, which isn't a workable conclusion given that there are very good teams out there that simply aren't winning.

    And when there are other explanations for the struggles like [i]having a bottom-five[i/] defense, blaming the philosophy of a top-five offense rings pretty hollow.



    and yet we could be so much better and are one hit form being crap all do to what has been and until the prove otherwise is a bad pass blocking oline and system. and FYI last time we went beyond 2nd round of playoffs was.......2015.


    Better than a top-five offense?

    The difference between a divisional-round game and a championship game has come down to one score the last two seasons we've made the playoffs. That's a margin that can be affected by one play. That's the difference between your definitions of failure and success - one play.

    So I'm not seeing your "so much better" gap. I don't think you really have any way to quantify that. HOW much better could we be? Do you have firm numbers? I haven't seen any. Nor does anyone else on Seahawks Twitter who insists on this vague, intangible extrapolation. It's just an emotionally-driven reach. Simple as that.

    And you still aren't willing to talk about improving the bad defense.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 17482
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 am


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:26 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    John63 wrote:

    That should scare you even more that given all you just said Wilson still has led the league in hits, hurries, pressures and sacks since 2012., and goes to my point we have done little to improve pass blocking and are playing with fire.


    And yet somehow, we are still better than most of the rest of the league, including a lot of teams that invest in the quick passing game everyone covets. And we pull this stuff off every single year.

    If the fact that we haven't won every Super Bowl since 2014 is your only proof that the system isn't working, then every team out there except the Patriots is terrible, which isn't a workable conclusion given that there are very good teams out there that simply aren't winning.

    And when there are other explanations for the struggles like [i]having a bottom-five[i/] defense, blaming the philosophy of a top-five offense rings pretty hollow.



    and yet we could be so much better and are one hit form being crap all do to what has been and until the prove otherwise is a bad pass blocking oline and system. and FYI last time we went beyond 2nd round of playoffs was.......2015.


    Better than a top-five offense?

    The difference between a divisional-round game and a championship game has come down to one score the last two seasons we've made the playoffs. That's a margin that can be affected by one play. That's the difference between your definitions of failure and success - one play.

    So I'm not seeing your "so much better" gap. I don't think you really have any way to quantify that. HOW much better could we be? Do you have firm numbers? I haven't seen any. Nor does anyone else on Seahawks Twitter who insists on this vague, intangible extrapolation. It's just an emotionally-driven reach. Simple as that.

    And you still aren't willing to talk about improving the bad defense.



    Yes better than a top 5 offense if you think that is what we were. Fyi we are in a thread about an olineman why would I talk about defense. I would go to a thread about defense for that, which I have. Now as to emotional driven yes forget the facts showing pocic has been bad.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2936
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:34 am
  • John63 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    Really? Pete Carroll, head coach of the Seattle Seahawks, said that Ethan Pocic is a known run blocker and not a pass blocker?

    Link it. Go ahead. As I recall somewhat vividly, they were mainly high on Pocic because of his perceived versatility, but please, prove me wrong with a link.

    In the meantime, actual facts were provided to you. In response, you quoted an article from last year when he was playing an entirely different position. This thread is about Ethan Pocic -at center-, where he was an excellent lineman who allowed almost no pressure whatsoever in pass protection.

    Anyway, here's the Seattle Times article from when Pocic was drafted. Spoiler: it doesn't say "Ethan Pocic is a known run blocker not pass blocker according to PC who evccen said it when they got him"


    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ond-round/

    Doesn't sound like the dreaded "known run blocker" to me.


    graded 22 in pass blocking let help that SUCKS. Don't care how many games that si what we have as of now till we see something saying otherwise.


    That's crap. You've been shown multiple things saying otherwise based on his experience at CENTER, which is the position we're discussing. Your whole "known run blocker" narrative on Ethan has been blown to shreds. Grading a lineman based on a PFF grade for 22 snaps at an entirely different position is... hmm. I don't want to insult you, I'll insult the premise though - it's really, really, really, really dumb.

    That would be the same thing as me finding a 22 snap sample size of a positively graded Ifedi game at right guard and saying it makes him a stud right tackle. It makes less than zero sense, and you know it.


    its not cap it is his grade from his playing time as a pro, and he graded 22 all the stuff you guys are showing are form college or what people say. the FACT is he graded 22 as a pro. I mean what next you're going whip out his High school numbers? as a pro he graded 22 in pass protection done over. You can b!@ch about sample size all you want but that is all we have as a pro. he graded 22 maybe he will improve maybe not. As of now his Pro career he is a bad pass blocker. maybe that will chaneg we will see.


    It is NOT!!!

    I posted his stats for all of 2019 with 91 snaps and zero sacks and you come back with an after 2 week and 22 snaps earlier rating! :roll:

    That was 2 games into 2019...NOT ALL WE GOT!! .....what the hell you talking about?

    2017 639 snaps rating of 50.4 and 2 sacks allowed.

    2018 296 snaps rating 45.9 3 sacks allowed.

    2019 91 snaps rating 43.3 ZERO sacks allowed.

    That.....is all we have not just 2 games...BS post! :177692:

    https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/ethan-pocic/11813?season=2019
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7250
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:41 pm


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:04 pm
  • Pocic played well today, we will see as season endures but good start.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2936
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:06 pm
  • John63 wrote:Pocic played well today, we will see as season endures but good start.
    Did he give up any pressur

    Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2280
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:14 pm
  • John63 wrote:Pocic played well today, we will see as season endures but good start.

    I'm going to disagree here. He got absolutely no push in the running game and he had a hard time holding his ground. It reminded me a bit of Joey Hunt.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3397
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 am


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:15 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    John63 wrote:Pocic played well today, we will see as season endures but good start.
    Did he give up any pressur

    Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk



    Not that I saw he was very solid. As I said great start.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2936
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:53 am
  • I was surprised to hear that but Pocic played well enough today and Center is his natural position. We'll see how it goes.
    They have another option if need be, i'm far more concerned about DT. I really wish they could have kept Jefferson. Collier did get a nice pressure today though . Run defense is probably my biggest concern .
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:10 pm


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:12 pm
  • Atlanta's DL is pretty solid and we held up well.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner
     
    Posts: 4899
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 am
    Location: Renton, WA


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:24 pm
  • Pocic certainly played well (surprisingly well IMO) enough to show promise. That's good if he can build on where he's at now as it will provide us solid depth at other spots. Speaking of depth at other spots, I noticed Pete gave that depth (Simmons for example)some PT yesterday and those that got some snaps help up pretty well. That's great looking down the road. I also think we may have a couple guys on the depth charts for the defensive side that could prove to be great value for us as well.
    Collier did enough yesterday to show he has promise as well. I think we learned a lot from game 1.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1263
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:29 pm


  • Looks like the all american center who was first team all-SEC in college at center could be best at the center position.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4215
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:48 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    John63 wrote:Pocic played well today, we will see as season endures but good start.

    I'm going to disagree here. He got absolutely no push in the running game and he had a hard time holding his ground. It reminded me a bit of Joey Hunt.


    I disagree. But I could be wrong. I thought he held his own
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3156
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:

    Looks like the all american center who was first team all-SEC in college at center could be best at the center position.


    A shocking development. Drafting a center to play center. Maybe they should have drafted a DT or a basketball player.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2646
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:54 am


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:24 pm
  • Pleasantly surprised with how he played. Hope to continue to be wrong about being on the fence w/him. Keep it rollin Ethan, we need you.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15669
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:17 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    John63 wrote:Pocic played well today, we will see as season endures but good start.

    I'm going to disagree here. He got absolutely no push in the running game and he had a hard time holding his ground. It reminded me a bit of Joey Hunt.



    Having relooked at the game he and the oline did not play great however Pocic played better than I expected but my expectations were low
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2936
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Ethan Pocic named starting center
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:43 pm
  • This feels like a Britt situation all over again where he finally found his place at center after not working out anywhere else.
    misfit
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 415
    Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:40 pm


Previous


It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Mick063, themunn and 99 guests