Ethan Pocic named starting center

Jerhawk

Reaction score
In the live press conference today, Pete Carroll announced that Ethan Pocic will be our starting center. Below is today's Pete press conference. The Pocic announcement comes at the end at 19:10.

[youtube]GtdhfC2BjOE[/youtube]

Thoughts?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sucks that Finney couldn't come in and take the spot. I'll hold out hope that it clicks for him a little down the road and that his salary doesn't turn out to be a waste, seeing as he has played solid football in the past.

However, this is definitely cause for optimism regarding Pocic. He's always had potential, and I'm excited to see how he plays at what was his best position in college.

chris98251

Reaction score
With Hunt gone Pocic knows the calls better then anyone on the roster presently, he will have to hold it however, knowing the calls is important as far as Wilson not having to do both jobs and as we seen before over thinking or getting delay of game calls.

No pre season made it tough for anyone on offense to step in, Richardson had the same problem I imagine not enough time with this offense of Schotty's which has a lot of the same but a lot of different also and the rest of the WR's had weeks of absorbing the information and walk thru's etc to get some of it down

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
No surprise Pocic named starter week 1. He's been taking all the snaps with #1 offense this year as Finney hasn't got all the tech side nailed down yet. Coaches has said multiple times they are sure FInney will be just fine, just not as the center...yet. IMO naming Pocic starter, and knowing the coaches are high on Finney may be saying more about their suspicions regarding Britt's rehab ( and asking price?) than anything else. We'll see how well Pocic holds up. If he begins doing a Hunt impersonation we'll have to move on.

xray

Reaction score
He was drafted because he can play most of the other OL positions too . Starting center though ? he sure will get more snaps huh ? :D

Smellyman

Reaction score
Center was his best spot in college.

Could be Britt-like reclamation project.

John63

Reaction score
So more of Wilson running for his life.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":354722zk said:

yeah becuz ethin pocic is a knwon run blocker abd not pass blok!

Give it a rest. Pocic was a very good college center, let's see how he fares at his natural position.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1a9jmdjp said:
John63":1a9jmdjp said:

Give it a rest. Pocic was a very good college center, let's see how he fares at his natural position.

Technically the soundest Lineman in the draft by many, but he lacked bulk which I heard he has fixed and strength which I hope he has fixed, also his frame was somewhat Lanky for a Center typically, lets hope he has time to adjust to getting lower pads that caused a lot of the push back into Wilsons lap so much.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Can't be worse than the plays we saw last year where Hunt got absolutely overpowered right up the middle.

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1lg2ljjx said:
John63":1lg2ljjx said:

Since when he became a known run blocker?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

ivotuk

Reaction score
toffee":2z3fm3wr said:
Maelstrom787":2z3fm3wr said:
John63":2z3fm3wr said:

Since when he became a known run blocker?

He was being sarcastic in response to the "Wilson running for his life."

Wilson now has a better pass blocking center than he did last year during the Hunt era, and Pocic might actually play well at center as IMHO, he's never really been given a chance. He had Cable-'tastrophe coaching, then Britt had the job.

There are many players in the NFL that can actually play, but never get a chance because they don't practice well. I think Pete has had this problem the last 2 or 3 years as there are young players who should have been on the field more, but weren;t

Last year it was Ugo Amadi, and Shaquem should have been out there at pass rush more often. I think he can do it with his speed, but he needs reps.

So I'm cautiously optimistic about Pocic, thinking that he's pretty good, having played in the SEC, and all he needs is time on the field in real playing conditions.

toffee

Reaction score
Best I can say about Pocic:. Please please surprise the 12s.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3a52631k said:
Can't be worse than the plays we saw last year where Hunt got absolutely overpowered right up the middle.

I dont know. You do realize Pocic couldnt win that job over Hunt.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Getting a real Drew Nowak vibe from this development.

But hope he shows something that he hasn't up to this point.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1sdho69y said:
Getting a real Drew Nowak vibe from this development.

But hope he shows something that he hasn't up to this point.

^this! The only difference is that Novak was a rookie. Hopefully Britt is back soon.