What happens if one team has fans and the other doesn't?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Goodell says competitive advantage is part of what the NFL has to live with since openings are due to local and state governments.

rn California is saying they are not going to allow fans even in counties with the least restrictive tier of the virus. Most of the state is in the most restrictive tier. Odds are there will be no football with fans in Cali for either the 49ers and the Rams.

Anyone with insight on Washington state's tier system or how that impacts professional sports audiences?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawks said they won’t have fans for at least the first 3 games.
I’m thinking or hoping they have some inside info from the governors office.

chris98251

Reaction score
I know many would not like it but moving to Husky Stadium which is outside and having spacing, it is suitable for an NFL Game, that was even before all the renovations.

Yes Centurylink is also but the Unique open end on the Lake Washington side pushes air through the stadium better they the swirl at Centurylink.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Everyone, take the political comments to that forum, and the smack talk to the smack shack, that’s why those forums are there.

Tamerlane

Reaction score
To answer the competitive advantage part of 'what if', the NFL's memo to teams last week stated that every team, with or without fans in the stands, must play prerecorded audience noise at the same decibel evel while the game is being played (to be monitored by the league). So Jerry Jones is forced after all to crank audience noise when his offense is on the field. I was pleasantly suprised.

I guess this means only a team with fans louder than the league-mandated noise level will have some kind of competitive advantage? The one negative point in the memo was a qualification saying that this rule was in place to start the season, but not necessarily later on.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
SInce some can't follow rules and then moderator instruction, I have cleaned the politics out of this thread. This post serves as formal warning, 24 hour think sessions will be distributed next to those that are still having problems understanding.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I don't think a stadium at 10% of whatever capacity will have any affect on anything.

Seattle has such a great HFA cause there's nearly 70K rabid fans (less rabid then before but that's another topic for another time). 15K or even 20K spread out throughout a 80K building like in KC for example isn't going to move the needle.

Especially at the price it will take to get those few tickets, the hard cores aren't paying that.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I read that Browns and Bengals got permission to have 6,500 fans.

The labor plus coordination of stadium staff might not be worth it there, but I can see C-link and Arizona having a far, far better chance of having fans later on this year than either SoFi or Levi's, as california has already implicitly said there won't be fans even when the virus is minimal.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3byxd6yw said:
I think KC can go 100%

Huge advantage if so

Where are you seeing that? Mid August they were allowing approx 16k.

ivotuk

Reaction score
JustTheTip":1iewfysv said:
SInce some can't follow rules and then moderator instruction, I have cleaned the politics out of this thread. This post serves as formal warning, 24 hour think sessions will be distributed next to those that are still having problems understanding.

Just for a second, just to see how it feels, just the tip, I Promise.

"hey! THat's not my belly button!" "That's not my finger either!"

Back to the post, none at all. Not enough fans to make a difference.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Basis4day":2xgahbp3 said:
https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/fans-at-nfl-games-2020-covid-19-attendance-tickets/1lxswp9lxq9nu1hsjblowr4xfj

Browns, Cowboys, Colts, Jags, Dolphins and Chiefs appear to be the only teams currently allowing fans Game 1. None even close to full capacity. Cowboys allowance not listed.

Missouri is wide open with no restrictions. Didnt see they phased back attendance at chiefs game.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Can't see it for this season. Maybe reduced capacity for a play off run.

Guess it depends on rates for the next couple of months.

Even if fans are allowed in for reduced capacity, the trials in the UK have really lame and strict rules. Basically no screaming, yelling, chanting or singing.

Sounds dull.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TwelfthManXII/status/1303346226620960771/photo/1[/tweet]

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1qj3za8a said:
Basis4day":1qj3za8a said:
https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/fans-at-nfl-games-2020-covid-19-attendance-tickets/1lxswp9lxq9nu1hsjblowr4xfj

Browns, Cowboys, Colts, Jags, Dolphins and Chiefs appear to be the only teams currently allowing fans Game 1. None even close to full capacity. Cowboys allowance not listed.

Missouri is wide open with no restrictions. Didnt see they phased back attendance at chiefs game.

Missouri added 1,000 new cases yesterday, 6th most in the country. With the Chiefs-Texans game tomorrow, they are going to allow up to 17,000 fans inside.I think the league is going to carefully monitor that area over the next few weeks to see the impact. If it's minimal, we may see some loosening restrictions coming for October. Or tightening if things go the other way.

I think the bigger concern is the Cowboys because of their inside arena, and Jerry Jones' plan to allow up to 50,000 fans inside. Their first home game is a week from Sunday. Fortunately when they play us the following week it will be at the Link.