Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ken Norton Jr, Think this should be his last season

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • The dude is the...... dare i say it?

Darrell Bevel of the Defense
    JPatera76
    NET Veteran

• JPatera76 wrote:The dude is the...... dare i say it?

Darrell Bevel of the Defense

At lease he is not the Jack Patera of the defence, they would be woefully bad.
    907Hawk
    NET Starter

• 400+ yards from Ryan.

Geez.

Norton not adjusting.

He should be dismissed.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Defense only gave up 18 points until there was less than a minute to go in the game and we were up by 20.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• I willing to see this year out. Not a fan of his last year, not a fan of going into the prevent/soft zone too early.
    Liked him better as a LB’ers coach. Hope he proves me wrong.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sometimes I wish Pete would take over play calling.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• sc85sis wrote:Sometimes I wish Pete would take over play calling.

What makes you think he doesn’t already?

The defensive scheme has been the same since Carroll became coach. Only things that have changed is the talent and the rules. But the DCs have been merely an extension of Pete’s philosophy.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• TheLegendOfBoom wrote:400+ yards from Ryan...

And only 1 TD in the first 59 minutes of the game from Ryan...

Yards don't mean much if you aren't scoring.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• TheLegendOfBoom wrote:400+ yards from Ryan.

Geez.

Norton not adjusting.

He should be dismissed.

Aren't the Hawks under Pete like 9-1 against 400 yard passers?
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

• Thought the defense was pretty good when it counted today. I'm not a huge Norton fan but today he was fine.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• nanomoz wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:400+ yards from Ryan.

Geez.

Norton not adjusting.

He should be dismissed.

Aren't the Hawks under Pete like 9-1 against 400 yard passers?

That would make sense because usually when a qb racks up 400+ yards it's because they're either in a shoot out or down by a lot in the 4th quarter.

Ryan racked up a lot of yardage when his team was down by multiple scores in the 4th quarter today. I doubt he's very stoked about his 450 yards though.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Last season, should of been his last season.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• This place is funny. Win convincingly but let's fire someone because the other team got some meaningless stats when the game was no longer in doubt.

Never change Seahawks.net, never change.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Starter

• Matt Ryan may have put up a ton of yards, but the defense stepped up to the challenge when it counted. They stopped Atlanta when it counted.

Atlanta was 0-4 on 4th down. Id argue that was the key stat of the day.

I was at the game last year when Schaub put up 300+ yards on our secondary. Their offense is explosive and they've always put up points against us even with the LOB.

This was the first game and a lot to sort out and fix, no doubt.

But I liked how they utilized Adams and blitzed a bit more today. I'm not ready to fire Norton (yet.)
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Not a fan of Norton, but again I will give him credit for using Adams well today.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Jerhawk wrote:Matt Ryan may have put up a ton of yards, but the defense stepped up to the challenge when it counted. They stopped Atlanta when it counted.

Atlanta was 0-4 on 4th down. Id argue that was the key stat of the day.

I was at the game last year when Schaub put up 300+ yards on our secondary. Their offense is explosive and they've always put up points against us even with the LOB.

This was the first game and a lot to sort out and fix, no doubt.

But I liked how they utilized Adams and blitzed a bit more today. I'm not ready to fire Norton (yet.)

Schaub actually threw for 460 against us last year. So today was a bit of an improvement.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• Mad Dog wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:Sometimes I wish Pete would take over play calling.

What makes you think he doesn’t already?

The defensive scheme has been the same since Carroll became coach. Only things that have changed is the talent and the rules. But the DCs have been merely an extension of Pete’s philosophy.
    Unless.something has changed, he doesn't. He made it very clear when he came to Seattle that he would let the DC call the plays.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I’m curious - do you all think the 2:00 minute scoring drive in the 4th by Matt Ryan was on Norton or our secondary? My biggest fear as a Hawks fan is knowing that the Air-Raid is coming by the opposing team. Seems like these guys have a tendency to lose composure and become tunnel-visioned, leading to massive gains by opposing receivers in an incredibly short window of time. Maybe my criticism is misguided - I just feel like Norton doesn’t have a real plan to defend the pass in these instances when you know the opposing team will be looking to make up ground with major chunk-yardage plays.
    Wrash
    NET Bench Warmer

• TheLegendOfBoom wrote:400+ yards from Ryan.

Geez.

Norton not adjusting.

He should be dismissed.

Yup, I have been telling people this for a while. Loaded secondary or not, we got torched for over 400 yards. I dont care if it was garbage time. It won't say that on the stat sheet. Norton is a GARBAGE DC, but I'll wont completely judge yet. I know there was no pre-season games etc...so by week 5-6 there should be MAJOR improvement on that Pass D. I already want Norton replaced, but I wanna see what they do when they get some playing time under their belt.
    hawks85
    NET Veteran

• Not a fan of Norton but I don't see how you could use today as an example of the problem with him.

Offenses are FAR ahead of defenses across the league right now.

Considering that, he did OK.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Not sure it's his fault that Pete and John didn't get him a D-line this year.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Pete is 10 and 0 when a QB throws for over 400 yards.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• I was watching on Gamepass and I thought in the 4th quarter I hope an effort is being made that the Defence keep their focus. The commentators said that the Falcon's kicker made three successful on side kicks in a game last season and also one in this game, which he made look very easy. Also he recovered at least one fumble on a kick off last year as well.
    ronnieboycefanclub
    NET Practice Squad

• As far as Norton, in Pete I trust on this one. One of Norton's superpowers is kicking ass and lighting a fire under guys. Pete needs a bad cop.

Last year I was on the Fire Norton! bandwagon at times, but we also didn't really have the talent and speed on our D that we'd had in the past. We couldn't match up with the Rams offense, for example. I'd hate to bail on a guy over personnel/talent issues and bring in a replacement who had to face the same issues and then have him do no better than Norton.

Giving up 25 points to ATL, most in garbage time, isn't a bad showing. The D did enough to win.

I, too, miss the Dan Quinn days. Ken Norton, Jr. may not be Dan Quinn, but I'm not sure he needs to be. Pete is the architect of this defense, and maybe all that's really needed is a chief ass-kicker who truly understands the D, and Norton is a good fit for that role.

We saw Jamal Adams' abilities being utilized and having a serious impact. Good start. Maybe Norton isn't, and wasn't, the problem. Like Pete evaluating his assistants at season's end (and firing Cabevell), I don't think we should evaluate until the end of the season.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• It was 38-18 with 3:45 left in the game when the Hawks scored their dagger TD. This game was a blowout. I'm not buying that the Defense still sucks one bit. Much of it was garbage time yardage and points. Meh.
    Also, when you stop a powerful offense for converting on 4th down 4 times? That's damn good defense. They absolutely need to get better, and I suspect they will.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• I'm not a big fan of Norton as a DC, but this isn't the game to criticize.

They have a lot of new pieces, didn't play a pre-season, and the O built a big lead, leading to Matt Ryan to pile up a bunch of yards in garbage time.

The Seahawks are now lead by their offense, the defenses job is to not screw it up.

They should improve as the season goes along, if they do not, then it will be worth talking about mid-season.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Not sure it's his fault that Pete and John didn't get him a D-line this year.

Yup. But the season is young... signings and trades still out there, for D-Line help, and for sure they are working this every day.

On the bright side, Pete and John did get Norton an upgraded secondary, as well as some speedy LB energy, Irvin and Brooks, and the program has several sophomores and juniors starting to perform a little better all the time on the D side of the ball. Mayowa had a fantastic sack on Ryan on 4th down too.

Aint it fun so far though, watching the offensive juggernaut and Russell the gunslinger?
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• D played a great game! Very happy with how Norton jr had the D performing.
    PNW
    NET Bench Warmer

• Garbage time or not.

It bothers me to allow huge chunks of yardage in a soft zone.

The “let them have it” mentality is lost with me even when Seattle is up a few touchdowns.

It’s that kind of thinking and rationale that allows a good team to comeback and win.

I’m more so of the put your foot on their throat and suffocate them until the game is over.

My approach may not be popular among coaches wanting to be respectful on each other and not become points greedy, but if you aren’t playing to win the game, then what are you doing exactly?

The best teams impose their will on the other.

I wish these Seahawks coaches had that killer instinct.

But apparently not.

And that bothers me, I’ll admit it.

You do not want teams being able to make comebacks against you.

Remember the Falcons/Patriots SuperBowl?

I rest my case.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information