S. Griffin questions....

pmedic920

Reaction score
I’m a fan, love the story of the brothers.

IMHO, Griffin did not meet expectations today, he’s now a veteran on a good backfield squad.

Was it rust, jitters, bad play, or “other”?

John63

Reaction score
First game, no preseason, little pressure on qb. He was fine lets see how he is over the couple of games.

Rat

Reaction score
I didn't think he was terrible, but I certainly hope he's more consistent as the season progresses.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Rat":11ldchxf said:
I didn't think he was terrible, but I certainly hope he's more consistent as the season progresses.

I didn’t think he was terrible either in spite of my criticisms.

Point is, he’s in a #1 spot, should we be expecting more than “not terrible”?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I thought he was fine. ATL has excellent receivers and a top QB. Imagine what ATL fans are saying about their top CB after getting burned by Lockett and Metcalf repeatedly.

Nobody got beat deep which is how Carroll asks his CBs to play. Well except for the pass where Adams took out Griffin.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
Look....Just good enough does not cut it for a Cornerback # 1. I've always felt he was a CB 2 and not a CB 1. I could not believe it when there was talk floating around about a contract extension in the $15 million range. He is not worth that kind of money. Especially when we need to extend Jamal Adams and possibly Quandre Diggs. Yes, Shaq had that pass deflection in the second half which was a good play. But he had several bad plays and even missed tackles due to not wrapping up. Plus.....I think there is unspoken pressure to keep his twin on the team which would take a valuable roster spot. I always felt spending a 5th round draft pick on Shaquem was a wasted pick. I do not think any other team would take him in the draft except as a possible 7th rounder. Let him play out his contract and move on.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
pmedic920":8yxyk875 said:
Rat":8yxyk875 said:

On the other hand Dunbar played a really nice game.

Rat

Reaction score
pmedic920":28nj5hbj said:
Rat":28nj5hbj said:

I agree. We'll definitely need more from him if Jamal Adams is going to somehow be our best pass rusher.

HawkerD

Reaction score
John63":2w0bs6vk said:
First game, no preseason, little pressure on qb. He was fine lets see how he is over the couple of games.

You sound like the knight in Monty Pythons Holy Grail. You know...Its only a flesh wound?? To say he is "fine" is a gross exaggeration. 4 years in he still can't wrap up and continues to take poor angles to the receiver after the catch. Those really aren't things you need preseason games to shore up. He has been bad at them from day one. The coverage scheme works when they limit YAC. Thats not Griffen's forte. He will be gone after this season.

Rat

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1hwh1b2j said:
pmedic920":1hwh1b2j said:
Rat":1hwh1b2j said:

On the other hand Dunbar played a really nice game.

Yeah, barely heard Dunbar's name today, which is the best you can ask for from a corner. We owe a nice gift basket to the prosecutor who decided to not bring charges on him.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Dunbar gave up some catches in the first half but had a solid second half. Griffin was more solid in the first half and struggled a bit more in the second half.

I didn’t think anyone was terrible given they were asked to not give up anything deep.

Some people seem to think you can play sticky like the good old days and you can’t. Coverage is a no no in today’s NFL. Best you can do is try to stay in range and not let guys get by you.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Mad Dog":qh3sygyz said:
Dunbar gave up some catches in the first half but had a solid second half. Griffin was more solid in the first half and struggled a bit more in the second half.

I didn’t think anyone was terrible given they were asked to not give up anything deep.

Some people seem to think you can play sticky like the good old days and you can’t. Coverage is a no no in today’s NFL. Best you can do is try to stay in range and not let guys get by you.

Fair but....

Coverage is one thing.

Being out of position to make plays, and poor tackling technique is another 2things.

How did you see him doing in the other aspects of his game aside from “coverage”?

hawk45

Reaction score
Definitely not a CB1 performance. He was JAG out there. At this point I don’t think he’s a CB1, period.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
He was a liability out there. Missed assignments and getting burnt all over the place. Maybe they should switch him and Dunbar.

hawk45

Reaction score
Jerhawk":jfdpdcst said:
He was a liability out there. Missed assignments and getting burnt all over the place. Maybe they should switch him and Dunbar.
I hope they do.

One of his best showings was as CB2 with a real CB1 (Sherman) opposite. He’s been underwhelming since.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He's a pedestrian player and I believe he's hit his ceiling. I honestly doubt he receives any extension from the team.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawk45":31s651gd said:
Definitely not a CB1 performance. He was JAG out there. At this point I don’t think he’s a CB1, period.
He’s not a #1 CB but is a solid #2 on his good days. He had an absolutely horrible PI call against him Late in the 4th.

chris98251

Reaction score
He was number 1 at the end of last year, with Dunbar on the roster he really is relegated as the number 2, rolls are changing, a Offense will look at both and probably default to Griffin over Dunbar to challange.