Offensive Line play.

tersal

Reaction score
Did not see Russ running for his life today Pass protection much better in the second half. One sack the Falcons got was a coverage sack. The first sack was Takkarist McKinley not going for the naked bootleg. Over all good pass protection today. Run blocking the Hawks for a change did not try to establish the run. Let Russ Cook as they should have considering the weak Falcons secondary in complete grade on that front. Team your thoughts.

Rat

Reaction score
Speaking of offensive linemen, this was a weird thing to see on my twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/EDuerrwaechter/stat ... 27776?s=20

"Another player who stood out for the Chicago Bears today?

Germain Ifedi at RG.

He whooped a whole lotta ass today as the front seven looked like the Red Sea parting."

EDIT: can't get it to show as an image for some reason. The "tweet" button didn't do anything.

toffee

Reaction score
tersal":191nscna said:
Did not see Russ running for his life today Pass protection much better in the second half. One sack the Falcons got was a coverage sack. The first sack was Takkarist McKinley not going for the naked bootleg. Over all good pass protection today. Run blocking the Hawks for a change did not try to establish the run. Let Russ Cook as they should have considering the weak Falcons secondary in complete grade on that front. Team your thoughts.
Didn't hear Poccic's name ... Take that as good news.
Our rookie RG's, without preseason, struggled a bit.
What about Shell?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
They played better than I thought they would. Not great by any means, but better than expected.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Agree Pitt. As they play together more they'll get better. I'm ready to up my grade on what the FO did on that front.
Also was impressed with how our D Line hung in, held their own, and made plays. Expect they will also improve.
Adams is a BEAST. Dunbar did a good job. All out secondary did, especially considering the quality of receivers they faced.
Lewis is a freshman. He made some mistakes, but he also made some good plays. He's a keeper.
Pocic played above his pay grade.
Most important is we got performance out of our depth across the board. That bodes well.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I thought it was adequate today against a front that has 2 really good players. Most of the pressure came on the later end and not up the middle. When protection is bad, it comes immediately and between the guards, which is a disaster. If it comes just a count or two later and from the edge, Russ will be fine. More than years past Russ got to set up and didn't have anyone open right away and had to leave the pocket. I'll take today if it turns out to be about average against a better than average front.

ivotuk

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2j7rfz8g said:
I thought it was adequate today against a front that has 2 really good players. Most of the pressure came on the later end and not up the middle. When protection is bad, it comes immediately and between the guards, which is a disaster. If it comes just a count or two later and from the edge, Russ will be fine. More than years past Russ got to set up and didn't have anyone open right away and had to leave the pocket. I'll take today if it turns out to be about average against a better than average front.

I'd say 3 really good players. Tak McKinley, Grady Jarrett, and Dante Fowler.

I think they did okay for the first game with no preseason, and Dan Quinn pulling out all the stops.

Damien Lewis did really good for a rookie, with a couple of mistakes. I disagreed on that holding, I didn't think he held on long enough, or hard enough to qualify as holding.

Duane Brown was Duane Brown

Iupati was "okay."

Pocic did really good, and Mark Schlereth gave him some props. I was surprised. I'll take his evaluation of Pocic over anybody's.

Shell did okay, again, no preseason, never played together before.

The line as a whole struggled with run blocking, and there were missed blocks against the pass rush. But overall, I'd give them a C+

OP
OP
T

tersal

Reaction score
Appyhawk":32d1no6o said:
Agree Pitt. As they play together more they'll get better. I'm ready to up my grade on what the FO did on that front.
Also was impressed with how our D Line hung in, held their own, and made plays. Expect they will also improve.
Adams is a BEAST. Dunbar did a good job. All out secondary did, especially considering the quality of receivers they faced.
Lewis is a freshman. He made some mistakes, but he also made some good plays. He's a keeper.
Pocic played above his pay grade.
Most important is we got performance out of our depth across the board. That bodes well.

Most of this reply is fine, I would disagree on the secondary. Wile the Falcons receivers are great but there is tightening in the secondary that needs to occur. The zone had many soft spots. Still just week one improvement will come. Back to the offensive line I am pleased with what I saw.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I want to watch the replay but I thought Lewis did well against a pro bowler outside of the penalties. Curious what the game tape will show second time around.