Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this the new Pete Carroll?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:04 am
  • TraderGary wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/9/14/21436710/report-russ-demanded-seattle-seahawks-change-offensive-philosophy-more-urgency-early-depart

    Something from FG about it


    This is from someone in the comments section of that attached thread so take it for what it's worth. I will say though that this sounds more like what I would expect from RW.

    I actually have an inside source at Vmac. (For a number or years now) Scuttlebutt within the organization is that Wilson did indeed ask for some changes. However, according to my source he didn't threaten the team with leaving. He did lobby considerably for several changes, but it's not his way to threaten to leave to get his way. I'm told that him and schotties relationship couldn't be better. That the offense is a brain trust of both of them working together. That's the information I have at least.

    I will say that it seems unlikely as well that Wilson would threaten leaving, he loves Seattle and it's not really in his nature to go against the grain like that.

    My2centsworth anyway.

    Take my source with grain of salt of course. I can say he has been right more then wrong with info I have gotten. example I knew long before the draft years ago that the Hawks were going after Tyler Lockett. I was even ridiculed on the boards when I made the suggestion.


    It shouldn't shock anyone that a QB in his prime with the complete command and respect of his teammates and coaches wanted a bigger role in the scheming, playcalling and in game decision making.

    Btw, that's the kind of balls and voice you want a generational future HOF QB of your team to be like...............AND more importantly you want a coach like Pete to be open minded and listen to said QB.

    Look what happened in NE, Brady tried for a decade to wrestle control away from Belicheck, and while they continued to win, it ended the relationship. We don't want that kind of contentiousness.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17404
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Is this the new Pete Carrol?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:18 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:The Falcons stifled the running game so he went with let’s beat them through the air. Having more quality players as receiving threats helps. At least he didn’t stick with what not was working as he had in the past. That’s a great change.


    That was the Falcon's game plan. The problem in the past was that Pete would have stuck with his game plan and tried to wear 'em down to win in the 4th. It only works sometimes and often you put yourself in a hole you can't climb out of.

    Take what they give you. Bellichick is a master at that, Pete hasn't always been.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6302
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:25 am
  • IMHO people are over thinking this. Pete doesn't have "an obsession with running the ball." He favors a balanced attack.

    If anything, this is Schotty settling into his role as the OC, working with his future HOF QB to make the offense work in whatever way wins a game. We ran several times early and it wasn't necessarily working all that well, except for a couple of times. So we settled in and took advantage of a lesser back end that everybody was saying Atlanta had.

    Let Russ cook? Maybe. I'd still say he doesn't have free rein to just fling the ball around, and frankly, he isn't the kind of guy who would do that just to pad stats or glorify himself. Russ's focus is always on winning, and on the best way to accomplish that. I suspect we won't see many more games where he is the leading rusher going forward.

    Great game, no matter how you look at it, and our D did fine. Matty Ice always has some fireworks late in games. We just put it out of reach, both with our D slowing them down and our O padding the score in the 4th Qtr.

    1-0 and that's what really matters. :snack:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 20075
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:53 am
  • sutz wrote:
    Let Russ cook? Maybe. I'd still say he doesn't have free rein to just fling the ball around, and frankly, he isn't the kind of guy who would do that just to pad stats or glorify himself. Russ's focus is always on winning, and on the best way to accomplish that. I suspect we won't see many more games where he is the leading rusher going forward.
    :


    Even though I hate the term let Russ cook, I think what it really means is give Russell more control........which I think is what we saw Sunday, and should see going forward.

    - less predictable
    - more dynamic
    - more free reign for Russell to change plays
    - more free reign for Russell to make key in game decisions

    This is really what we're talking about, not just saying you want Russell to throw the ball more.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17404
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Is this the new Pete Carrol?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:17 am
  • bigskydoc wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:Whoa, clearly making too big an inference from week 1. Week 1 is always the atypical week where teams destined for the playoffs can look bad and teams destined for a high draft pick can look great. Only consistency is that the Browns will lose.


    It's not based on week one. It's based on last year's performances, and how the teams adjusted in the offseason. The Rams are a shell of themselves. The Niners are going to revert to their mean. It's the Hawks and Cardinals this year. Week 1 was just confirmatory.



    Week 1 is never confirmatory.

    But I agree that Niners are likely in hangover mode and the Rams are Ramsey, Donald and a bunch of JAGs. But I'm not yet sold on Kingsbury and I think McVey and Shanahan are very good offensive coaches. So they still worry me.

    It's a tough division. ARI I think is still a year away from being the chief rival.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1893
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:12 am


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:04 am
  • I think the ‘cook’ crowd is delusional. The Falcons were doing a good job against the run and their secondary is abysmal. Nothing about the game was indicative of a shift in philosophy.

    Overall talent seems to be the biggest factor. This team has more talent and experience than last years team which was 3rd in passing efficiency and 5th in offensive efficiency. They should be better even without a shift in philosophy.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2599
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:09 am
  • knownone wrote:I think the ‘cook’ crowd is delusional. The Falcons were doing a good job against the run and their secondary is abysmal. Nothing about the game was indicative of a shift in philosophy.



    Actually with the old philosophy...Pete would STILL run the ball even if it was getting stuffed because the mindset was they were tiring the defense out until the third quarter and then would hope the runs would start breaking out and if not suddenly RW would just take over the game halfway through the fourth quarter (and by that time already be down 14 points).

    The falcons game we saw the run not so much abandoned but just not 90% of the plays to begin with. So yes, the philosophy for game 1 was different it was as if they actually ADAPTED to the game for once (and not at the end of the 3rd quarter).

    Now whether or not they continue to do this into the rest of the season is a different story. I certainly hope they continue to do so. Bill Belichick cheating jokes aside is the GOAT because he adapts, Pete never did, this is the first time it looks like he may.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1536
    Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:42 pm


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:18 am
  • Exactly.

    Go back and look at our playoff game against the Cowboys if you want to see how we would normally do it. They stuffed the run all day, we ran into stacked boxes for 2 full quarters. Implying that Carroll stops something because it isn't working ignores most of his history with us.

    Just because Atlanta stuffed the run does not mean Carroll would change.
    (And stuff the run how? We barely ran it. No RB had more than 4 carries by the half. Our starting RB had only 6 in the whole game.)

    Carroll didn't change because they shut down the run....he either changed because Atlanta has a weak secondary or because he had to.

    Either way, we should be thankful for the change. Let us hope it continues.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3992
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:10 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Exactly.

    Go back and look at our playoff game against the Cowboys if you want to see how we would normally do it. They stuffed the run all day, we ran into stacked boxes for 2 full quarters. Implying that Carroll stops something because it isn't working ignores most of his history with us.

    Just because Atlanta stuffed the run does not mean Carroll would change.
    (And stuff the run how? We barely ran it. No RB had more than 4 carries by the half. Our starting RB had only 6 in the whole game.)

    Carroll didn't change because they shut down the run....he either changed because Atlanta has a weak secondary or because he had to.

    Either way, we should be thankful for the change. Let us hope it continues.


    This
    TraderGary
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 24
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:02 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Let Russ cook? Maybe. I'd still say he doesn't have free rein to just fling the ball around, and frankly, he isn't the kind of guy who would do that just to pad stats or glorify himself. Russ's focus is always on winning, and on the best way to accomplish that. I suspect we won't see many more games where he is the leading rusher going forward.
    :


    Even though I hate the term let Russ cook, I think what it really means is give Russell more control........which I think is what we saw Sunday, and should see going forward.

    - less predictable
    - more dynamic
    - more free reign for Russell to change plays
    - more free reign for Russell to make key in game decisions

    This is really what we're talking about, not just saying you want Russell to throw the ball more.

    Exactly!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 30613
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:08 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Exactly.

    Go back and look at our playoff game against the Cowboys if you want to see how we would normally do it. They stuffed the run all day, we ran into stacked boxes for 2 full quarters. Implying that Carroll stops something because it isn't working ignores most of his history with us.

    Just because Atlanta stuffed the run does not mean Carroll would change.
    (And stuff the run how? We barely ran it. No RB had more than 4 carries by the half. Our starting RB had only 6 in the whole game.)

    Carroll didn't change because they shut down the run....he either changed because Atlanta has a weak secondary or because he had to.

    Either way, we should be thankful for the change. Let us hope it continues.

    Outside of going to the softzone/prevent defense too early I think they were pretty spot on with in game adjustments.
    They didn’t wait until the 4th quarter to adjust. They dictated instead of being dictated to, which has been rare over the past 4 years.


    Game planning and play calling on the offensive side of the ball was pretty much an A+ in my opinion.
    Hopefully Russ being more vocal about things changed things, and hopefully this game changed past mindsets.
    Scoring lots of points is fun, hope it continues.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 30613
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:16 pm
  • So since Russell is Cooking is the Clink now called Hells Kitchen?
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 32653
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:49 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Let Russ cook? Maybe. I'd still say he doesn't have free rein to just fling the ball around, and frankly, he isn't the kind of guy who would do that just to pad stats or glorify himself. Russ's focus is always on winning, and on the best way to accomplish that. I suspect we won't see many more games where he is the leading rusher going forward.
    :


    Even though I hate the term let Russ cook, I think what it really means is give Russell more control........which I think is what we saw Sunday, and should see going forward.

    - less predictable
    - more dynamic
    - more free reign for Russell to change plays
    - more free reign for Russell to make key in game decisions

    This is really what we're talking about, not just saying you want Russell to throw the ball more.

    Exactly!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 30613
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Is this the new Pete Carrol?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:33 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:We've gone for it on 4th down a number of times over the years in similar situations. One of the biggest fourth down conversions in franchise history happened from the SF 35 yard line, and they have always thought in that 34-40 range that going for it makes more sense than a short punt or a very long field goal.

    .

    Yes we went for it on that one but the circumstances leading to that decision were totally different imo. As I recall, we had the FG team out but didn't snap the ball and after discussion put the offence out there. If you watch the Road to the Super Bowl show from that season, Pete says Hauschka didn't have "the look of a guy who thought he could make that kick" or something like that. So they called timeout and he said Russ said "let's go for it coach".
    This time there didn't seem to be any hesitation. The offence stayed on the field. I would say Russ was more bold with his play this time in that against San Fran he knew he had a free play with the off-side.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 887
    Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:10 pm


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:53 pm
  • TraderGary wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/9/14/21436710/report-russ-demanded-seattle-seahawks-change-offensive-philosophy-more-urgency-early-depart

    Something from FG about it


    This is from someone in the comments section of that attached thread so take it for what it's worth. I will say though that this sounds more like what I would expect from RW.

    I actually have an inside source at Vmac. (For a number or years now) Scuttlebutt within the organization is that Wilson did indeed ask for some changes. However, according to my source he didn't threaten the team with leaving. He did lobby considerably for several changes, but it's not his way to threaten to leave to get his way. I'm told that him and schotties relationship couldn't be better. That the offense is a brain trust of both of them working together. That's the information I have at least.

    I will say that it seems unlikely as well that Wilson would threaten leaving, he loves Seattle and it's not really in his nature to go against the grain like that.

    My2centsworth anyway.

    Take my source with grain of salt of course. I can say he has been right more then wrong with info I have gotten. example I knew long before the draft years ago that the Hawks were going after Tyler Lockett. I was even ridiculed on the boards when I made the suggestion.


    This is a more likely scenario. I doubt there was any threats or Wilson throwing his weight around. Its pretty normal for QBs to want and earn more input just like WRs want more catches and RBs want more carries.
    justafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1896
    Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:37 am


Re: Is this the new Pete Carroll?
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:14 pm

Previous


It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online