Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We concerned about Air Quality for the home opener?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • I know it's a week away, but the rain that was supposed to come last night/this morning didn't appear. Looks like the M's just canceled their games w/ Oakland.

Looking at the weather, there's potential of rain on Friday but if that doesn't clear the smoke do we have a contingency plan?
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• Very concerned.

Even on how this affects practice.

We might get rain Thurs or Wed, but even that long of a wait is going to hurt our ability to get better between last game and this game. Especially considering the opponent.

Almost hoping for the game to get rescheduled (unlikely) because it seems we would be at a huge disadvantage if this impacts our practices.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:Very concerned.

Even on how this affects practice.

We might get rain Thurs or Wed, but even that long of a wait is going to hurt our ability to get better between last game and this game. Especially considering the opponent.

Almost hoping for the game to get rescheduled (unlikely) because it seems we would be at a huge disadvantage if this impacts our practices.

I wouldn't think practice is as big of a concern. They have the HUGE in door practice facility they can use. Only option to reschedule would be if both teams byes align. and (checking) as fate would have it they do. We both have byes week 6.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• Doesn't C-Link have a retractable roof.
    hawks85
    NET Veteran

• Nope
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• No roof of any sort. I imagine they will play if Air Quality is below 200, which it should be by Sunday night. Air Quality is 239 right now in Seattle so it's close already.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• High 100s is still really bad air to be playing in, especially with pandemic concerns on top of it.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• hawks85 wrote:Doesn't C-Link have a retractable roof.

No, why did you think it does?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• gowazzu02 wrote:I know it's a week away, but the rain that was supposed to come last night/this morning didn't appear. Looks like the M's just canceled their games w/ Oakland.

Looking at the weather, there's potential of rain on Friday but if that doesn't clear the smoke do we have a contingency plan?

The Mariners are playing the 1st game of a double header vs Oakland right now. It's live on Root Sports as I type this post.

Kind of surprised they didn't cancel though. The air quality is obviously horrible, in the very unhealthy range.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:I know it's a week away, but the rain that was supposed to come last night/this morning didn't appear. Looks like the M's just canceled their games w/ Oakland.

The Mariners are playing the 1st game of a double header vs Oakland right now. It's live on Root Sports as I type this post.

Kind of surprised they didn't cancel though. The air quality is obviously horrible, in the very unhealthy range.

Yeah, just came to clarity. I misread something. M's are playing with the roof on.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• It's a week out, it will be fine, the weather looks better this week and the fires will be better contained by weeks end.
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

• All of the forecasts I've seen are saying that the air quality will gradually, but slowly, improve throughout the week.

The game being cancelled or postponed due to air quality isn't something I'd bother worrying about for at least another few days. If it's still in the very unhealthy range by Friday, and it doesn't look like there will be much improvement by Sunday, then it might be time to worry.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• It's the Tacoma Dome's time to shine
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• We should be fine by Sunday.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• They've played games in Mexico City and LA Coliseum so I'm not overly concerned.

That being said I think not only is there going to be a little rain but the outflow is going to shift pushing cleaner marine air into the PNW this weak.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• SNDavidson wrote:It's the Tacoma Dome's time to shine

Yes! That would be cool.

Side story, back in August '76 they came over to Spokane to play one exhibition game vs the Bears while the Kingdome was still under construction. Joe Albi stadium also hosted Kenny "The Snake" Stabler when he was with the Spokane Shockers.

Unfortunately our air quality is also super poor right now. Hopefully they have a plan B.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• The AQI, right now, where I live is close to 400.

That isn't a chronic health issue. That is an acute health issue.

I know it is fashionable to be a science denier now days, but I'll let some one else be the canary in the coal mine.
    Mick063
    NET Veteran

• Mariners have the roof so no reason for them not to play

Would the winds over the Husky stadium make that less smoke filled?

Basically TV infrastructure and 100 yard field is all they need...
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• 1. I think the M's played game 1 with roof open.

2. Game 2 now and roof is closed.

3. Roof doesn't change much because it is still open air. It's not fully enclosed.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I'm curious how they define the health effects/ risks. When I fought wildland fires, we were exposed to particulates at orders of magnitude greater concentrations than anything I've ever seen in town. Wildland firefighters work and sleep in these high concentrations all summer long, year after year. It seems that if it was going to be harmful to football players, it should be knocking off firefighters left and right.

Just curious how they go about defining danger levels.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• Wait.. did SF not play?

I mean you guys feel Seattle is worse than SF AIR quality????
    balakoth
    NET Practice Squad

• mikeak wrote:Mariners have the roof so no reason for them not to play

Thats like saying leaving your windows open is ok because your house has a roof :P
    balakoth
    NET Practice Squad

• mikeak wrote:Mariners have the roof so no reason for them not to play

I don't think the Tacoma Dome has the TV infrastructure.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• balakoth wrote:
    mikeak wrote:Mariners have the roof so no reason for them not to play

Thats like saying leaving your windows open is ok because your house has a roof :P

It'd be more like leaving all your windows open, all your doors open, and removing an entire exterior wall.

T Mobile park is very much an open air stadium even with the roof closed.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Jerhawk wrote:
    SNDavidson wrote:It's the Tacoma Dome's time to shine

Yes! That would be cool.

Side story, back in August '76 they came over to Spokane to play one exhibition game vs the Bears while the Kingdome was still under construction. Joe Albi stadium also hosted Kenny "The Snake" Stabler when he was with the Spokane Shockers.

Unfortunately our air quality is also super poor right now. Hopefully they have a plan B.

I was at that preseason game against the Bears. I distinctly remember looking through my binoculars at the logos on the helmets and knew I had found my team.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• In case anyone needed a visual, this is what it looks like inside T Mobile Park with the roof closed. Notice how one of the 4 sides of the stadium doesn't have a wall.

Chapow
    NET Veteran

• oldhawkfan wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:
    SNDavidson wrote:It's the Tacoma Dome's time to shine

Yes! That would be cool.

I was at that preseason game against the Bears. I distinctly remember looking through my binoculars at the logos on the helmets and knew I had found my team.

That's awesome!
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:In case anyone needed a visual, this is what it looks like inside T Mobile Park with the roof closed. Notice how one of the 4 sides of the stadium doesn't have a wall.

Thanks. Haven't been there for 15 years so didn't remember that it was open like that
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• balakoth wrote:Wait.. did SF not play? I mean you guys feel Seattle is worse than SF AIR quality????

Air quality changes over time, you can look at the latest here. SF played at about 160 i believe, and I think the Hawks would do the same. Above 200 is where I think they would seriously consider alternatives per the following blurb from their discussion about that SF/ARI game.
    Readings that consistently measure above 200 (“very unhealthy”) in the immediate vicinity could cause the game to be delayed or relocated.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• [vimeo][/vimeo]
    balakoth wrote:Wait.. did SF not play?

I mean you guys feel Seattle is worse than SF AIR quality????

Everything that was in SF moved north. Look at this satellite pic from last week.
    Attachments
    smoke.png
    smoke.png (340.63 KiB) Viewed 236 times
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:50 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information