We concerned about Air Quality for the home opener?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I know it's a week away, but the rain that was supposed to come last night/this morning didn't appear. Looks like the M's just canceled their games w/ Oakland.

Looking at the weather, there's potential of rain on Friday but if that doesn't clear the smoke do we have a contingency plan?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Very concerned.

Even on how this affects practice.

We might get rain Thurs or Wed, but even that long of a wait is going to hurt our ability to get better between last game and this game. Especially considering the opponent.

Almost hoping for the game to get rescheduled (unlikely) because it seems we would be at a huge disadvantage if this impacts our practices.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3dnfpkxd said:
Very concerned.

Even on how this affects practice.

We might get rain Thurs or Wed, but even that long of a wait is going to hurt our ability to get better between last game and this game. Especially considering the opponent.

Almost hoping for the game to get rescheduled (unlikely) because it seems we would be at a huge disadvantage if this impacts our practices.

I wouldn't think practice is as big of a concern. They have the HUGE in door practice facility they can use. Only option to reschedule would be if both teams byes align. and (checking) as fate would have it they do. We both have byes week 6.

sc85sis

Reaction score
High 100s is still really bad air to be playing in, especially with pandemic concerns on top of it.

Chapow

Reaction score
gowazzu02":12v8ddrl said:
I know it's a week away, but the rain that was supposed to come last night/this morning didn't appear. Looks like the M's just canceled their games w/ Oakland.

Looking at the weather, there's potential of rain on Friday but if that doesn't clear the smoke do we have a contingency plan?

The Mariners are playing the 1st game of a double header vs Oakland right now. It's live on Root Sports as I type this post.

Kind of surprised they didn't cancel though. The air quality is obviously horrible, in the very unhealthy range.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Chapow":3bdf6bsv said:
gowazzu02":3bdf6bsv said:

The Mariners are playing the 1st game of a double header vs Oakland right now. It's live on Root Sports as I type this post.

Kind of surprised they didn't cancel though. The air quality is obviously horrible, in the very unhealthy range.

Yeah, just came to clarity. I misread something. M's are playing with the roof on.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
It's a week out, it will be fine, the weather looks better this week and the fires will be better contained by weeks end.

Chapow

Reaction score
All of the forecasts I've seen are saying that the air quality will gradually, but slowly, improve throughout the week.

The game being cancelled or postponed due to air quality isn't something I'd bother worrying about for at least another few days. If it's still in the very unhealthy range by Friday, and it doesn't look like there will be much improvement by Sunday, then it might be time to worry.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
They've played games in Mexico City and LA Coliseum so I'm not overly concerned.

That being said I think not only is there going to be a little rain but the outflow is going to shift pushing cleaner marine air into the PNW this weak.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
SNDavidson":rpcedcag said:
It's the Tacoma Dome's time to shine

Yes! That would be cool.

Side story, back in August '76 they came over to Spokane to play one exhibition game vs the Bears while the Kingdome was still under construction. Joe Albi stadium also hosted Kenny "The Snake" Stabler when he was with the Spokane Shockers.

Unfortunately our air quality is also super poor right now. Hopefully they have a plan B.

Mick063

Reaction score
The AQI, right now, where I live is close to 400.

That isn't a chronic health issue. That is an acute health issue.

I know it is fashionable to be a science denier now days, but I'll let some one else be the canary in the coal mine.

mikeak

Reaction score
Mariners have the roof so no reason for them not to play

Would the winds over the Husky stadium make that less smoke filled?

Basically TV infrastructure and 100 yard field is all they need...

sutz

Reaction score
1. I think the M's played game 1 with roof open.

2. Game 2 now and roof is closed.

3. Roof doesn't change much because it is still open air. It's not fully enclosed.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm curious how they define the health effects/ risks. When I fought wildland fires, we were exposed to particulates at orders of magnitude greater concentrations than anything I've ever seen in town. Wildland firefighters work and sleep in these high concentrations all summer long, year after year. It seems that if it was going to be harmful to football players, it should be knocking off firefighters left and right.

Just curious how they go about defining danger levels.