Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jordyn Brooks

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Jordyn Brooks
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:48 am
  • Just curious if anyone saw him on the field extensively as I saw him make 1 tackle?
    Last edited by seabowl on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Re: Jordan Brooks
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:05 am
  • He only had 7 defensive snaps.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:08 am
  • Jordyn
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:35 am
  • Only been one game, but I really, really wanted Clyde Edwards-Helaire when that pick came up. Hopefully I'm proven wrong in the end. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:41 am
  • One game...…….breathe in :irishdrinkers:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 am
  • Rat wrote:Only been one game, but I really, really wanted Clyde Edwards-Helaire when that pick came up. Hopefully I'm proven wrong in the end. Wouldn't be the first time.

Not sure Clyde is that good a tackler. So I'm pretty sure Brooks will end his career with far more tackles than Clyde. So in that I can say you are wrong right now.

We have a stable of young backs. Wagner and Wright are getting old in the tooth so getting their replacements is higher on the priority list.

There will most surely be a good back available in every draft if the team decides to re-stock. This wasn't the draft to get RB help early. It was a draft to get DE/LB help.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:03 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:One game...…….breathe in :irishdrinkers:

Need I remind you:
    LJ Collier
    Rashaad Penny
    Malik McDowell
    Gremaine Ifedi
    Frank Clark
    Paul Richardson
    Christin Michael

This team has been ultra TERRIBLE on first Picks
    HawkerD
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:24 am
  • HawkerD wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:One game...…….breathe in :irishdrinkers:

Need I remind you:
    LJ Collier
    Rashaad Penny
    Malik McDowell
    Gremaine Ifedi
    Frank Clark
    Paul Richardson
    Christin Michael

Clark, Richardson and Michael were all drafted in the second round.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:25 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:One game...…….breathe in :irishdrinkers:

Those were literally the first four words of my post.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:26 am
  • sc85sis wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:

Need I remind you:
    LJ Collier
    Rashaad Penny
    Malik McDowell
    Gremaine Ifedi
    Frank Clark
    Paul Richardson
    Christin Michael

Yes, but those were our first picks in those drafts. We really havn't hit on one since Okung. Some might argue for Irvin as well; I wouldn't though.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:38 am
  • Just messin', can't even joke around any more, fair enough.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 am
  • Mad Dog wrote:
    Rat wrote:Only been one game, but I really, really wanted Clyde Edwards-Helaire when that pick came up. Hopefully I'm proven wrong in the end. Wouldn't be the first time.

Not sure Clyde is that good a tackler. So I'm pretty sure Brooks will end his career with far more tackles than Clyde. So in that I can say you are wrong right now.

We have a stable of young backs. Wagner and Wright are getting old in the tooth so getting their replacements is higher on the priority list.

There will most surely be a good back available in every draft if the team decides to re-stock. This wasn't the draft to get RB help early. It was a draft to get DE/LB help.

I wouldn't necessarily say a "stable". We have Carson, Hyde, Penny, Homer and Dallas.

Hyde is the veteran, and Carson has lots of wear and tear already -- both will likely be gone after this season. Penny is on the PUp and out for the first 6 games, and he has all kinds of question marks. Homer is a good special teamer and maybe an occasional 3rd down guy, but certainly not a feature back. I was excited to see Dallas after all the hype, then he was inactive.

I think RB is very much a position of concern going forward. If there is anything that 2019 taught us, it's that you can't have too many good RBs. We had to bring back Marshawn Lynch just to get by.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 am
  • Rat wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:

Need I remind you:
    LJ Collier
    Rashaad Penny
    Malik McDowell
    Gremaine Ifedi
    Frank Clark
    Paul Richardson
    Christin Michael

Yes, but those were our first picks in those drafts. We really havn't hit on one since Okung. Some might argue for Irvin as well; I wouldn't though.

Sorry but Frank Clark was a very good pick.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:35 am
  • seabowl wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:Need I remind you:
    LJ Collier
    Rashaad Penny
    Malik McDowell
    Gremaine Ifedi
    Frank Clark
    Paul Richardson
    Christin Michael

This!
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:48 am
  • Seahwkgal wrote:
    seabowl wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:Clark, Richardson and Michael were all drafted in the second round.

This!

and yet he's gone.. but yeah, our 1st's aside from Clark has been dismal... might as well trade them away.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:58 am
  • seabowl wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:Need I remind you:
    LJ Collier
    Rashaad Penny
    Malik McDowell
    Gremaine Ifedi
    Frank Clark
    Paul Richardson
    Christin Michael

Yeah, that's right. I was in the middle of writing a 4600 word power rankings article about the upcoming U.S. Open and my brain didn't comprehend Clark on the list. That was good; wish we still had him, despite the excellent haul on the trade.

Well, we havn't hit on a first rounder since the Okung-Earl draft anyway.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:11 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:I wouldn't necessarily say a "stable". We have Carson, Hyde, Penny, Homer and Dallas.

Hyde is the veteran, and Carson has lots of wear and tear already -- both will likely be gone after this season. Penny is on the PUp and out for the first 6 games, and he has all kinds of question marks. Homer is a good special teamer and maybe an occasional 3rd down guy, but certainly not a feature back. I was excited to see Dallas after all the hype, then he was inactive.

I think RB is very much a position of concern going forward. If there is anything that 2019 taught us, it's that you can't have too many good RBs. We had to bring back Marshawn Lynch just to get by.

That’s a problem for next year, not a reason to have spent draft capital this year.

RB is as plug and play as it gets in today’s NFL. If Penny doesn’t come back strong and Dallas doesn’t show promise, draft in 21 and sign another reasonably priced vet.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:35 am
  • Osprey wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:I wouldn't necessarily say a "stable". We have Carson, Hyde, Penny, Homer and Dallas.

That’s a problem for next year, not a reason to have spent draft capital this year.

RB is as plug and play as it gets in today’s NFL. If Penny doesn’t come back strong and Dallas doesn’t show promise, draft in 21 and sign another reasonably priced vet.

Generally, I'm not a fan of round 1 RBs, but I thought CEH was special. It's frustrating when you pound the table for someone, and they get passed on and look like a star for another team.

Oh well, if they listened to me more, we'd have so many 7-9 seasons, people would think we were coached by Jeff Fisher.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:53 am
  • Osprey wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:I wouldn't necessarily say a "stable". We have Carson, Hyde, Penny, Homer and Dallas.

And they drafted Brooks, so there is nothing we can do about it now. Can't undo it.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

Re: Jordyn Brooks
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:11 am
  • Some around here go on about "first round picks" as if we've been drafting a lot of them in the top 10 or something or even the first round. If you consider draft position our results have been fine. Not exceptional, but way better than people here complain about.

#6 overall - Russell Okung. Very good selection, slightly marred by the falling out in relationship caused by Okung deciding to be his own agent. Could have been handled better by the FO with the benefit of hindsight but a good draft pick.

#25 overall - James Carpenter. Successful pick with a 39 CarAV, but it looks like the Hawks may have made a mistake trying to make him work at RT (potentially like Ifedi below).

#15 overall - Bruce Irvin. Successful pick with a 40 CarAV but expensive draft capital.

#62 overall - Christine Michael. We all saw his potential; he just couldn't stay healthy enough or get out of the doghouse long enough to contribute. Minor disappointment but reasonable for the range; of the 10 players drafted before him only two were successful (Eddie Lacy, Rob Alford).

#45 overall - Paul Richardson. Could have been better if not for the injuries but about average. He's had a better or similar career to 16 of his fellow second rounders from 2014, and a worse career than 16 of them.

#63 overall - Frank Clark. Clark started slow but has had a great career for his draft selection so far. The guy drafted six spots after him has had a better career, but that's Tyler Lockett and hardly an argument against our drafting capabilities.

#31 overall - Germain Ifedi. Definitely a disappointment given how much effort we put into making him work here, but he has a higher draft average value than all but 8 players from the first round of 2016. Fan favorites ahead of him (Robert Nkemdiche, Josh Garnett, Vernon Butler) have been bigger busts, and Ifedi is now starting at guard in Chicago. Depending on how he does there, the takeaway could be about our usage of him at RT rather than shifting him inside ourselves.

#35 overall - Malik McDowell. The only real bust on this list. I know some here have a problem keeping perspective about it, but minor character issues in college are simply not a strong predictor of having a career ending injury before playing an NFL snap. We've had success bringing in characters before (Lynch, Clark). Bad things happen sometimes and it's an error to try to assign blame to what is just randomness.

It's too early to conclude how Penny, Collier or Brooks will turn out. Naturally if they are busts then it will make our drafting look worse, but jumping to that conclusion right now is premature.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:28 am
  • This team is loaded at LB, and he's learning from very experienced LB's. It's only gonna' make him better.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:29 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    I wouldn't necessarily say a "stable". We have Carson, Hyde, Penny, Homer and Dallas.

Every year a position group or two gets inordinately hit by injuries. This year, everyone might stay healthy and Dallas never gets off the bench. You never know. It would be nice to be 4-5 deep everywhere, but that's not feasible.

We are set for this year and I think even if we lose Hyde and Carson next year, we can draft someone and pick up a journeyman to complement Penny, Homer and Dallas.

And we are letting Russ cook, so who needs RB's anyway?
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:44 am
  • He's not a sure-fire All-Pro after one game.

:sarcasm_on: CUT HIS ASS!!! :sarcasm_off:
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:03 pm
  • Rat wrote:Generally, I'm not a fan of round 1 RBs, but I thought CEH was special. It's frustrating when you pound the table for someone, and they get passed on and look like a star for another team.

Oh well, if they listened to me more, we'd have so many 7-9 seasons, people would think we were coached by Jeff Fisher.

CEH might be special in KC. One game where Houston put him 5th or 6th on their preparation list doesn’t tell us much.

In Seattle he doesn’t fit the RB profile and would probably be relegated to a few gadget plays. Pete is still Pete even if Russ is wearing a chef’s hat.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:14 pm
  • Osprey wrote:
    Rat wrote:Generally, I'm not a fan of round 1 RBs, but I thought CEH was special. It's frustrating when you pound the table for someone, and they get passed on and look like a star for another team.

CEH might be special in KC. One game where Houston put him 5th or 6th on their preparation list doesn’t tell us much.

In Seattle he doesn’t fit the RB profile and would probably be relegated to a few gadget plays. Pete is still Pete even if Russ is wearing a chef’s hat.

He's very compact, explosive, and excels in the pass game. I don't know how he wouldn't fit in here. He's more Maurice Jones-Drew than Darren Sproles.

I'm not calling him a HOFer based on one game, but early impressions havn't made me feel wrong in being very high on his potential.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:39 pm
  • I wonder if they'll be using him to spy Newton next game
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:42 pm
  • Rat wrote:He's very compact, explosive, and excels in the pass game. I don't know how he wouldn't fit in here. He's more Maurice Jones-Drew than Darren Sproles.

Pete has a type (5’11” 220#) for his starting backs. There’s a little wiggle room in that, but not enough to get to 5’7” 205#. Don’t see how you justify using a R1 on a situational player at a position of relative strength.

I loved Taylor for the Hawks in this draft precisely because he fit the profile, but understand why they prioritized the way they did.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:50 pm
  • Rat wrote:Only been one game, but I really, really wanted Clyde Edwards-Helaire when that pick came up. Hopefully I'm proven wrong in the end. Wouldn't be the first time.

I wanted RT Isaiah Wilson :|

massari
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:54 pm
  • Osprey wrote:
    Rat wrote:He's very compact, explosive, and excels in the pass game. I don't know how he wouldn't fit in here. He's more Maurice Jones-Drew than Darren Sproles.

Pete has a type (5’11” 220#) for his starting backs. There’s a little wiggle room in that, but not enough to get to 5’7” 205#. Don’t see how you justify using a R1 on a situational player at a position of relative strength.

I loved Taylor for the Hawks in this draft precisely because he fit the profile, but understand why they prioritized the way they did.

Exactly. Our starting LB's are all over 30. Barton might fill in for one of them, but we needed another young stud LB to groom. BBK and Griffen are pretty much Heath Farwells.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:01 pm
  • massari wrote:I wanted RT Isaiah Wilson :|

Don’t be shocked if he’s a future Pete reclamation project.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:16 pm
  • Osprey wrote:
    Rat wrote:He's very compact, explosive, and excels in the pass game. I don't know how he wouldn't fit in here. He's more Maurice Jones-Drew than Darren Sproles.

Is there really that much difference between 5’11” 220 and 5’7” 205? It’s basically the same build. Talent is talent.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:17 pm
  • Rat wrote:
    Osprey wrote:

Is there really that much difference between 5’11” 220 and 5’7” 205? It’s basically the same build. Talent is talent.

If your the 5'07 guy and not Spud Webb I bet you think there is.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:37 pm
  • Osprey wrote:

Those measurables for an RB is pretty much league wide. If you look around, the tallest RBs are maybe 6'0" or 6'1", seldom taller. They all tend to weigh in at 200-230#. I suspect it's really rare to get a guy outside that range who is strong enough and nimble enough to do the job. :229031_shrug:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:40 pm
  • If Brook and Collier could be productive this season, we might go places. So far Collier flashed just that little bit at the beginning of the game , then got handled? Brook still waiting for his. But just one game and both are basically rookies.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:44 pm
  • Pete has always been willing to play rookies, probably more so than many other NFL coaches. But he very seldom puts the whole team on a rookie's back in a meaningful way. Russ Wilson is the exception here, buy hey, he's Russ Wilson.

Jordyn will get his reps moving forward, I'm sure.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:00 pm
  • This is not a normal start to a season by any stretch. There were no preseason games in which to evaluate players and test understanding of defensive schemes. There were a lot of substitutions.

Wagner played 79 snaps (100%) . Everyone else in the base/nickel/dime packages are in against each other for either extra rush help or nickel/dime coverage.

Adams was everywhere. And if your gonna let your safety roam like that you need to make sure everyone else knows exactly what they are doing. It's not shocking to me that a rookie like Brooks played so few snaps.

TLDR:

Game 1, uncharted preseason.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:48 pm
  • I don't mind the LB pick, I just thought Queen was the better LB on the board. He finished with 8 tackles, 1 sack and I believe 1 forced fumble for the Ravens week 1. It was interesting KJ was on the field only 55% of the snaps. The defensive scheme clearly has changed, which I am all for with so many passing teams these days.
    ttown0026
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:19 pm
  • Takes at least a couple years before you can just assume Queen will be better overall. Brooks will eventually get his reps and will contribute. No need to dwell on what other teams do, what the Hawks do is what matters.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:27 pm
  • ttown0026 wrote:I don't mind the LB pick, I just thought Queen was the better LB on the board. He finished with 8 tackles, 1 sack and I believe 1 forced fumble for the Ravens week 1. It was interesting KJ was on the field only 55% of the snaps. The defensive scheme clearly has changed, which I am all for with so many passing teams these days.

Man, Queen looked like something special in the CFP. I can only hope that there has to be something REALLY special in Brooks to make that choice.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:28 pm
  • As the season goes on, I think you'll see Brooks spelling Bobby and KJ occasionally.

Ya, there's players I would have rather had on draft day, namely the Stanford running back. But let's not put Queen in the hall of fame just yet.
    Last edited by nanomoz on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:29 pm
  • It's ONE game. Same thing people tell other's when they get excited about a Hawks win or a player. And there are HUNDREDS of players who look special in College and do little to nothing in the NFL.
    Why dwell over players on other teams just because the Hawks didn't take them? Just curious.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:03 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:It's ONE game. Same thing people tell other's when they get excited about a Hawks win or a player. And there are HUNDREDS of players who look special in College and do little to nothing in the NFL.
    Why dwell over players on other teams just because the Hawks didn't take them? Just curious.

I find the analysis and prognosticating interesting. You can make an assessment off a limited sample size while still acknowledging that there is plenty of time for things to change.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:03 pm
  • Makes sense.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:15 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:Some around here go on about "first round picks" as if we've been drafting a lot of them in the top 10 or something or even the first round. If you consider draft position our results have been fine. Not exceptional, but way better than people here complain about.

#6 overall - Russell Okung. Very good selection, slightly marred by the falling out in relationship caused by Okung deciding to be his own agent. Could have been handled better by the FO with the benefit of hindsight but a good draft pick.

#25 overall - James Carpenter. Successful pick with a 39 CarAV, but it looks like the Hawks may have made a mistake trying to make him work at RT (potentially like Ifedi below).

#15 overall - Bruce Irvin. Successful pick with a 40 CarAV but expensive draft capital.

#62 overall - Christine Michael. We all saw his potential; he just couldn't stay healthy enough or get out of the doghouse long enough to contribute. Minor disappointment but reasonable for the range; of the 10 players drafted before him only two were successful (Eddie Lacy, Rob Alford).

#45 overall - Paul Richardson. Could have been better if not for the injuries but about average. He's had a better or similar career to 16 of his fellow second rounders from 2014, and a worse career than 16 of them.

#63 overall - Frank Clark. Clark started slow but has had a great career for his draft selection so far. The guy drafted six spots after him has had a better career, but that's Tyler Lockett and hardly an argument against our drafting capabilities.

#31 overall - Germain Ifedi. Definitely a disappointment given how much effort we put into making him work here, but he has a higher draft average value than all but 8 players from the first round of 2016. Fan favorites ahead of him (Robert Nkemdiche, Josh Garnett, Vernon Butler) have been bigger busts, and Ifedi is now starting at guard in Chicago. Depending on how he does there, the takeaway could be about our usage of him at RT rather than shifting him inside ourselves.

#35 overall - Malik McDowell. The only real bust on this list. I know some here have a problem keeping perspective about it, but minor character issues in college are simply not a strong predictor of having a career ending injury before playing an NFL snap. We've had success bringing in characters before (Lynch, Clark). Bad things happen sometimes and it's an error to try to assign blame to what is just randomness.

It's too early to conclude how Penny, Collier or Brooks will turn out. Naturally if they are busts then it will make our drafting look worse, but jumping to that conclusion right now is premature.

Say what ever you want. Not including Okung, The telling sign is that NONE of those players remained on the team beyond their rookie contract. That tells the story for me.
    HawkerD
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:14 am
  • Excuse me, has anyone seen a Jordyn Brooks thread around here?

I seemed to have stumbled into the 20-year long "who we should have drafted instead" thread.
    Own The West
    NET Starter

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:48 am
  • AgentDib wrote:Some around here go on about "first round picks" as if we've been drafting a lot of them in the top 10 or something or even the first round. If you consider draft position our results have been fine. Not exceptional, but way better than people here complain about.

This is good analysis. The problem with the draft, which Pete and John are completely aware of, Is that there are very few high end all world players in the first round. As fans, we automatically think that any player picked by our team in the first round should be an all pro right out of the gate. The Seahawks currently have three such players; Wilson, Wagner and Adams. Without doing a league wide analysis of every team, I would guess that 3-4 all pro difference makers is probably about what the best teams have.

Chuck Knox used to call them impact players. He called Curt Warner one after drafting him in ‘83. He was correct. Any draft has maybe a handful of impact type players, possibly 20-30 good players and then just a bunch of jags at the bottom third of rosters that get recycled And replaced every year.

Jordyn Brooks has some pretty good players ahead of him. Let’s be patient and not go off the rails whenever a draft pick doesn’t measure up to our expectations.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:11 pm
  • Brooks will be fine, he’s learning from the best in the biz, looking forward to watching him, Blair, Collier grow into better players.
    PNW
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:14 pm
  • Own The West wrote:Excuse me, has anyone seen a Jordyn Brooks thread around here?

I seemed to have stumbled into the 20-year long "who we should have drafted instead" thread.

Some people would rather suck and be right instead of good and be wrong.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:05 pm
  • We probably have a good chance of seeing a lot more of Brooks this week. Stack the box more and make Cam beat us with his arm.

I think we didn't Brooks a lot because the amount of Nickle we played and getting extra help from Blair or Jamal at the line helps.

Could be wrong wonder if someone else noted anything else.
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:14 pm
  • What Maulbert said ^^^
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Next

It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information