Hawks now control their own destiny

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Hawks now control their own destiny
Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:01 pm
  • With much thanks to the Falcons, the Cardinals' loss in Atlanta today means that if the Hawks win out, they will be guaranteed to not only win the NFC West, but it would also guarantee a top 2 seed with a first round bye and a home game in the divisional round.

No pressure, fellas.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

Re: Hawks now control their own destiny
Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:09 pm
  • Yup. A little help from ATL for sure.
    YYZHawksFan
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:14 pm
  • Cautiously optimistic.

And, if NE can help us a little bit here with 4 minutes left, we'll be talking a 1 seed with a win out.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:15 pm
  • Would a Green Bay loss today put control of the #1 seed in the Seahawks' hands?
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:23 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:Would a Green Bay loss today put control of the #1 seed in the Seahawks' hands?

Yes and No.

Try playing around with this...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:25 pm
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:
    Hawkspur wrote:Would a Green Bay loss today put control of the #1 seed in the Seahawks' hands?

Yes and No.

Try playing around with this...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Looks like we can put it on hold for another week at least now anyway as Green Bay look good to win.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:31 pm
  • NorthDallas40oz wrote:With much thanks to the Falcons, the Cardinals' loss in Atlanta today means that if the Hawks win out, they will be guaranteed to not only win the NFC West, but it would also guarantee a top 2 seed with a first round bye and a home game in the divisional round.

No pressure, fellas.

Not necessarily... If Dallas wins their division and is tied with the Seahawks, Seattle would be the 3 seed...assuming the packers get the number 1 seed.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:35 pm
  • rideaducati wrote:
    NorthDallas40oz wrote:With much thanks to the Falcons, the Cardinals' loss in Atlanta today means that if the Hawks win out, they will be guaranteed to not only win the NFC West, but it would also guarantee a top 2 seed with a first round bye and a home game in the divisional round.

No pressure, fellas.

Not necessarily... If Dallas wins their division and is tied with the Seahawks, Seattle would be the 3 seed...assuming the packers get the number 1 seed.

Unless 3 teams finish 12-4, then we beat the cowboys in the tiebreaker. They beat us if its only us and them at 12-4.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:37 pm
  • Cartire wrote:
    rideaducati wrote:
    NorthDallas40oz wrote:With much thanks to the Falcons, the Cardinals' loss in Atlanta today means that if the Hawks win out, they will be guaranteed to not only win the NFC West, but it would also guarantee a top 2 seed with a first round bye and a home game in the divisional round.

No pressure, fellas.

Unless 3 teams finish 12-4, then we beat the cowboys in the tiebreaker. They beat us if its only us and them at 12-4.

Hence the "not necessarily".
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:40 pm
  • I'm amazed Atlanta did it. Thought KC was our better bet.

Arizona may just begin that free fall after all
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:40 pm
  • Packers have to play Falcons who are now competitive, @ Buffalo and Detroit still (plus Tampa).

I don't think they'll win out, that Buffalo game is hardly a cake walk, and Detroit will be playing extremely hard to get into the playoffs that last game of the season.
    hieroglyphics
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:42 pm
  • The Cards may not win another game this year.
    hieroglyphics
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:46 pm
  • hieroglyphics wrote:Packers have to play Falcons who are now competitive, @ Buffalo and Detroit still (plus Tampa).

I don't think they'll win out, that Buffalo game is hardly a cake walk, and Detroit will be playing extremely hard to get into the playoffs that last game of the season.

GB will win out. It's a done deal. They had to lose against NE, but they didn't. Off to GB we go for the title.

Don't even bother responding because it's going to happen. It's a fact.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    U MAD BRAH?
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:12 pm
  • Can someone explain to me why the Cowboys are below us in the Wild Card standings? We have the same record and they beat us head to head.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:15 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:Can someone explain to me why the Cowboys are below us in the Wild Card standings? We have the same record and they beat us head to head.

3-way-tie removes head-to-head and goes straight to conference record, then common games, so-on.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:16 pm
  • Cartire wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:Can someone explain to me why the Cowboys are below us in the Wild Card standings? We have the same record and they beat us head to head.

3-way-tie removes head-to-head and goes straight to conference record, then common games, so-on.

Thanks. So if the 3 way tie goes away, they would jump ahead of us in the Wild Card if they keep the same record as us. That's something to watch out for too, I guess.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:32 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:
    hieroglyphics wrote:Packers have to play Falcons who are now competitive, @ Buffalo and Detroit still (plus Tampa).

GB will win out. It's a done deal. They had to lose against NE, but they didn't. Off to GB we go for the title.

I pretty much thought this too from a realistic standpoint. I mean, seriously, GB losing to Falcons or Lions? Longshot. But I am hopeful that someone takes them out. As someone said, any given day.
    Last edited by raisethe3 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    raisethe3
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:40 pm
  • GB's closest spread the rest of the way will probably be at Buffalo. It will still be a healthy spread, probably just under a TD, but statistically that's our best hope for an upset.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:42 pm
  • MidwestHawker wrote:GB's closest spread the rest of the way will probably be at Buffalo. It will still be a healthy spread, probably just under a TD, but statistically that's our best hope for an upset.

Detroit is due to win in GB...they haven't won there in 21 years.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
  • We'll have to see what GB's valuation does in light of the win over New England, though it probably won't change too much since they were a 3-point favorite and just covered it by a couple of points. Right now we're looking at a set of lines like...

GB -11.5 vs. Atlanta
    GB -4.5 at Buffalo
    GB -10 at Tampa Bay
    GB -9 vs. Detroit

Those will fluctuate a bit as more games occur, and I suspect the Buffalo line might more realistically be something like -5.5 or -6 by gametime, but that's approximately where betting market analytics have those lines right now.

Statistically a team is always a dog to win out over 4+ games. Even if you give them an 85% chance in each game it's about a coin flip to win all four. Still, game-by-game each individual win probability is certainly high. We just have to hope that they unexpectedly mess up somewhere.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:56 pm
  • raisethe3 wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:
    hieroglyphics wrote:Packers have to play Falcons who are now competitive, @ Buffalo and Detroit still (plus Tampa).

I pretty much thought this too from a realistic standpoint. I mean, seriously, GB losing to Falcons or Lions? Longshot. But I am hopefully. As someone said, any given day.

Green Bay has nightmares about Detroit's new hail Mary guy.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:58 pm
  • MidwestHawker wrote:We'll have to see what GB's valuation does in light of the win over New England, though it probably won't change too much since they were a 3-point favorite and just covered it by a couple of points. Right now we're looking at a set of lines like...

GB -11.5 vs. Atlanta
    GB -4.5 at Buffalo
    GB -10 at Tampa Bay
    GB -9 vs. Detroit

Those will fluctuate a bit as more games occur, and I suspect the Buffalo line might more realistically be something like -5.5 or -6 by gametime, but that's approximately where betting market analytics have those lines right now.

Statistically a team is always a dog to win out over 4+ games. Even if you give them an 85% chance in each game it's about a coin flip to win all four. Still, game-by-game each individual win probability is certainly high. We just have to hope that they unexpectedly mess up somewhere.

What sucks is, and I think a lot of fans might have forgotten this, we have to win out as well.

So, why we are contemplating the low percentage chance of them losing 1 game, we have to factor in the not overly high percentage chance of us winning out too. Its still a tough road.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:58 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:
    raisethe3 wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:

I pretty much thought this too from a realistic standpoint. I mean, seriously, GB losing to Falcons or Lions? Longshot. But I am hopefully. As someone said, any given day.

Green Bay has nightmares about Detroit's new hail Mary guy.

And Aaron Rodgers still has nightmares of Richard Sherman
    hieroglyphics
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:08 pm
  • Cartire wrote:What sucks is, and I think a lot of fans might have forgotten this, we have to win out as well.

So, why we are contemplating the low percentage chance of them losing 1 game, we have to factor in the not overly high percentage chance of us winning out too. Its still a tough road.

Sure. Us winning out only really becomes reasonably realistic if we take care of Philly next week. That's the biggest challenge left on the regular season schedule, so if we win that one it's hard not to feel good about each of the remaining games, though I'll add that our spreads will be smaller than most of GB's.

Still makes sense to discuss it though; GB is only relevant to us if they're going to notch a loss the rest of the way.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:05 pm
  • rideaducati wrote:
    MidwestHawker wrote:GB's closest spread the rest of the way will probably be at Buffalo. It will still be a healthy spread, probably just under a TD, but statistically that's our best hope for an upset.

Detroit is due to win in GB...they haven't won there in 21 years.

Counting on Detroit to win in Lambeau is like counting on Kaep to not throw an interception against the Seahawks defense.

Sure it may happen, but it's highly unlikely
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:11 pm
  • Bold prediction: Buffalo beats GB.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:47 pm
  • I doubt Green Bay loses another game in the regular season, but they haven't been invincible at home in the playoffs the last few years. They lost to the Giants in 2011 (when they were 15-1 and looked unstoppable) and to the 49ers last year. So there's always the possibility that they lose in the divisional round, and if not, I think we could go there and win in the NFCCG if we get that far.

The road to the Super Bowl doesn't look that tough.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:59 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Bold prediction: Buffalo beats GB.

Didn't you predict Atl over Arizona?
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:06 pm
  • I could see Buffalo knocking off GB. The Bills are looking pretty solid, have a lot to play for and GB could be due for a let down.

Still, it won't mean much if the Hawks don't TCB.
    Reaneypark
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:11 pm
  • A 9-3 Philly team will be a tough task on the Road with a 10 am start. Not much room for error if you ask me!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:12 pm
  • Not a 10 a.m. start.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:17 pm
  • December 7....philly forecast and game time
    4:25 pm eastern start
    Long term forecast is for almost and inch of rain and 46 degrees.....think this helps us with the running game
    cdn hawk fan
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:03 pm
  • Philly has a pretty damn good running game themselves.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:07 pm
  • The good news is..yes, we control our destiny to win the division. If you are a Seahawks player, you are in the perfect position and can't ask more than that.

As a fan though: I am definitely cautiously optimistic. Well, not sure even optimistic is the right word. Less than two weeks ago some of us doubted we would even make the playoffs. If they hadn't found their swagger, who knows.

It'll be a nail-biting 10 days to see how the Seahawks maintain that attitude and swagger.

I will say that during the 49ers game, after watching the first half-quarter, I trusted the Seahawks D entirely and would have been surprised if the 49ers had more than two scores that game. Hope to see the same and even more against Philly.
    byau
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:25 pm
  • byau wrote:The good news is..yes, we control our destiny to win the division. If you are a Seahawks player, you are in the perfect position and can't ask more than that.

As a fan though: I am definitely cautiously optimistic. Well, not sure even optimistic is the right word. Less than two weeks ago some of us doubted we would even make the playoffs. If they hadn't found their swagger, who knows.

It'll be a nail-biting 10 days to see how the Seahawks maintain that attitude and swagger.

I will say that during the 49ers game, after watching the first half-quarter, I trusted the Seahawks D entirely and would have been surprised if the 49ers had more than two scores that game. Hope to see the same and even more against Philly.

We're going to "have our hands full" with the Philly Offense. They play an "up tempo" game and we might have issues with substitutions. We're going to have to score at least 24 points to win.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:45 pm
  • Also I think Eagles D is one of the top 1 or 2 teams in forcing turnovers.

They're all really athletic and I think Mark Sanchez will be cautious about passing. He did well against Dallas after two more reckless outings against Green Bay and Tennessee

Seahawks will have a huge challenge on them.
    byau
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:32 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:

Isnt this a good thing...you really think the packers are going to be able to hang with any team when they are forced to run the ball and play D if it is snowing all over the place in Lambeau...it neutralizes Rodgers
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:13 am
  • Thank you Falcons, AZ looked weak on O in that game and should be nervous, as they are now in must win mode to save any chance of a playoff bye.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:33 am
  • MidwestHawker wrote:We'll have to see what GB's valuation does in light of the win over New England, though it probably won't change too much since they were a 3-point favorite and just covered it by a couple of points. Right now we're looking at a set of lines like...

GB -11.5 vs. Atlanta
    GB -4.5 at Buffalo
    GB -10 at Tampa Bay
    GB -9 vs. Detroit

I understand completely where you are coming from but conversely Atlanta, Buffalo and Detroit will all likely be in "must win to get into playoffs" mode...
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:06 pm
  • BocciHawk wrote:I understand completely where you are coming from but conversely Atlanta, Buffalo and Detroit will all likely be in "must win to get into playoffs" mode...

Sure. And GB will be in "must win to avoid going back to Seattle" mode. Desperation on the other side can only cover up so much. I'd like to think that one of those teams will do us a favor, but I'd be lying if I said I was optimistic about it.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/

If the playoffs started now, the Seattle Seahawks would be a wild-card entry and the No. 5 seed, traveling to Atlanta to play a losing Falcons team.

NFL Playoff Machine

Check current playoff seedings and NFL standings.

Playoff Machine | Standings

A lot will change over the next four weeks, and the 8-4 Seahawks still control their fate in the NFC West, winning the division title if they win out in December. But here's how things play out in the NFC as of Monday:
    Arizona Cardinals at 9-3. The NFC West leader has a better conference record than the Green Bay Packers and a win over the Philadelphia Eagles, both of whom also are 9-3.
    Green Bay at 9-3. The NFC North leader has a victory over the Eagles.
    Philadelphia at 9-3. NFC East leader.
    Atlanta at 5-7. NFC South leader has a win over the New Orleans Saints, also 5-7.
    Seattle at 8-4. Wild card with a better record in common games than 8-4 Detroit Lions (4-0 vs. 2-2).
    Detroit at 8-4. Wild card with better record in conference games than 8-4 Dallas Cowboys (6-2.vs 5-4).
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:46 pm
  • MidwestHawker wrote:Philly has a pretty damn good running game themselves.

Yea, well it's not like ours. Philly likes to spread you out and run, lots of 3 WR sets with single back. That plays in our favor, honestly....even in the rain.

They're a quicker, more athletic defense, and that gets negated by a ton of rain and mud.

Also, with literally an inch of rain forecasted, it will likely keep the score down. When they score less than 27 points, they're winless.

Crappy, sloppy weather doesn't favor a finesse, spread team. I'm liking it more and more.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:18 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:
    MidwestHawker wrote:Philly has a pretty damn good running game themselves.

Yea, well it's not like ours. Philly likes to spread you out and run, lots of 3 WR sets with single back. That plays in our favor, honestly....even in the rain.

They're a quicker, more athletic defense, and that gets negated by a ton of rain and mud.

Also, with literally an inch of rain forecasted, it will likely keep the score down. When they score less than 27 points, they're winless.

Crappy, sloppy weather doesn't favor a finesse, spread team. I'm liking it more and more.
    ecmwfued---conus-150-C-mslpthkpcp6_white.png
    ecmwfued---conus-150-C-mslpthkpcp6_white.png (61.57 KiB) Viewed 102 times

Don't get your hopes up for Philly rain just yet
    Jacknut16
    NET Rookie

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information