Time to GET BEHIND Russell Wilson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Time to GET BEHIND Russell Wilson
Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:04 pm
  • endzorn wrote:
    YEAH! All your haters is dumb.

:lol:
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:14 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:100% agree. I would love to put all the QB debate behind us. Unfortunatly I dont think its going to happen.

You guys, as mods, can make it happen. Just sayin'. Maybe some smashmouth "officiating" in QB threads, lol; or perhaps have one giant gazillion-page-long thread where QB talk is allowed during the week and no new threads about it, making it easier to avoid? IDK.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:18 pm
  • Who was the best quarterback on the field today? Mr. Wilson is one hell of a leader and a gift to us in the third round. Listen to the specific praise his teammates heap on him for his hard work, his quest for greatness, and mental toughness. Cam has exceptional physical characteristics, no doubt, but Mr. Wilson has a lot of Larry Bird, Magic, and MJ in his personality. This quarterback has the potential to lift the potential of his teammates simply by the example he himself sets.
    Thanks Seahawks for a fantastic season. Get some rest because next year you play 2 more.
    hawktawk
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:33 pm
  • hawkfan1975 wrote:
    endzorn wrote:

All your base are belong to us
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:46 pm
  • Somebody set up us the bomb

pehawk wrote:I dont get any of the doubt. I maybe SOOOO wrong, but I've seen progress EVERY WEEK. Every week adding throws and eliminating mental errors.

Yup, for the most part.

Week 1: Mostly bad performance
    Week 2: Excellent performance
    Week 3: Mostly bad performance (but better than vs. AZ)
    Week 4: Solid performance that was marred by 3 fluke INTs
    Week 5: Very good performance that was hurt some by a fluke INT and a deluge of questionable, momentum killing penalties.

Oh and hey, remember not that long ago when Wilson had an overthrow problem? He hasn't had a blatantly overthrown pass for a while now. I'm definitely seeing development- particularly in regards to pocket presence and poise.
    Last edited by kearly on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:48 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I dont get any of the doubt. I maybe SOOOO wrong, but I've seen progress EVERY WEEK. Every week adding throws and eliminating mental errors.

Yup, for the most part.

Week 1: Mostly bad performance
    Week 5: Very good performance that was hurt some by a fluke INT and a deluge of questionable, momentum killing penalties.

Oh and hey, remember not that long ago when Wilson had an overthrow problem? He hasn't had a blatantly overthrown pass for a while now. I'm definitely seeing development- particularly in regards to pocket presence and poise.

Agreed on all accounts. I would like to see him quit that habit of always bailing right, though. He's gotten better with it, but it's still a bit of an issue.
    Happybelly
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:00 pm
  • kearly wrote:Week 1: Mostly bad performance

Week 4: He was really bad. That's the only conclusion I could come up with.

He limited mistakes in week 2 and took what was available, but that was his only real solid effort.

I like Wilson and I think he'll turn into something solid, but I feel like we're having to overcome his play rather than feed off it. That's not to say he won't turn a corner later in the season and we can hang our hat on his play, but if our defense was even average the Draft Forum would be going crazy right now.
    endzorn
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:05 pm
  • Saw improvement today, penalties have hurt Wilson and the offense, our third down play calling also hurts Wilson. I did see him looking at more of the field today, hitting some different guys and letting them make plays. His decision making still has to speed up and he needs to be decisive when it does. Thats the pro game speed and at some point giving his work ethic and study it should slow down. Seemed they let him play more today, yeah a couple picks but those mistakes can be learned from. It happens to every QB.

Now if we continue to let him play a bit more every week and can get him to see more and react faster I think things are moving as well as we could expect.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:15 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:The guy is 3-2 as a rookie starter, former third round pick. Is he perfect? Absolutely not. Is he doing better than most other rookie QB's, especially considering he's not the storied #1 overall or top-5 pick who is expected to be great? Absolutely yes.

What rookies would those be? Out of curiosity.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:44 pm
  • Not sure what everyone was expecting but Russell Wilson's progression has been steady and for the most part pretty normal. Maybe because he showed so much promise during the preseason people thought it would carry over to the regular season. I have been sitting on the sidelines in disbelief sometimes how people are starting to call for Flynn already. We are such a knee jerk society we want instant gratification for everything. So much so that our sports franchises and corporations cave in to this most selfish of all human emotions. This leads to crappy products that are force fed down our throats which have not gone through their natural maturation process. Then we sit around and belly ache about how crappy everything is. Would you rather flip flop between Wilson and Flynn until we blow this thing up again in three years or should we let Wilson get his battle scars and lead us to a championship? You can't have both. Flynn should be a solid backup now. End of story and lets move forward.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:49 pm
  • Rasta for the win.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 pm
  • why is it Wilson needs to improve but his line doesnt? :?
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:16 pm
  • It's Wilson's job to GET everybody behind him. Until then, he's not earned loyalty.

That said, however, he's unlikely to do that until he posts 300 yards against a Top 5 defense, and I hope I'm not breaking anyone's hearts when I say that that won't be happening this year. Until then, we've got Matt Flynn buzzing around offering a tempting bypass for our rookie QB struggles, the type of bypass that's very familiar to Seahawks fans and that may or may not be a mirage.

Sounds like the debate will continue.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 pm
  • He will have the 12th Man in his corner next Sunday. I'm expecting that it will be a "whale of a game"! Should we beat NE, we are Playoff contenders!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:It's Wilson's job to GET everybody behind him. Until then, he's not earned loyalty.

That said, however, he's unlikely to do that until he posts 300 yards against a Top 5 defense, and I hope I'm not breaking anyone's hearts when I say that that won't be happening this year. Until then, we've got Matt Flynn buzzing around offering a tempting bypass for our rookie QB struggles, the type of bypass that's very familiar to Seahawks fans and that may or may not be a mirage.

Sounds like the debate will continue.

I agree with some of this. I'm not so sure that 300yds against a top 5 defense is really all that important though. Show me some points somewhere in that effort and I'd say you have something. From today's game, he was about 30yds short of that figure (if not for the call back for holding on the 50+yd pass) and we weren't behind by much. If we ever end-up playing from a larger points deficit, I could see him passing for 300+, but that is meaningless if it stops short of or in the red zone.

Oh, and as for the bypass, let me get some of that action: "Dilfer, Dilfer, Dilfer!!"
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:37 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:
    hawkfan1975 wrote:
    endzorn wrote:

All your base are belong to us

:th2thumbs: I was thinking the same thing!
    edogg23
    NET Starter

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:41 pm
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:I'm not so sure that 300yds against a top 5 defense is really all that important though.

Oh, it's not. But that's the only benchmark for success some people have around here.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:46 pm
  • rastahawk wrote:Not sure what everyone was expecting but Russell Wilson's progression has been steady and for the most part pretty normal. Maybe because he showed so much promise during the preseason people thought it would carry over to the regular season. I have been sitting on the sidelines in disbelief sometimes how people are starting to call for Flynn already. We are such a knee jerk society we want instant gratification for everything. So much so that our sports franchises and corporations cave in to this most selfish of all human emotions. This leads to crappy products that are force fed down our throats which have not gone through their natural maturation process. Then we sit around and belly ache about how crappy everything is. Would you rather flip flop between Wilson and Flynn until we blow this thing up again in three years or should we let Wilson get his battle scars and lead us to a championship? You can't have both. Flynn should be a solid backup now. End of story and lets move forward.

'Ding ding,' WINNER!

:34853_tinfoil: :34853_tinfoil: But wait minute, I can order and get exactly what I want from Amazon in a day or so. Not like it took awhile to develop the product; it just gets posted to the website and BAM, it's ready to go! ...and Madden players never take that long to develop..I call BS on this! :177692:
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:49 pm
  • The noise coming from the 12th man this season sounds EXACTLY like the noise coming from Baltimore fans in 2008. EXACTLY. And quarterback and team performance has so far matched it almost identically.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:35 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:The noise coming from the 12th man this season sounds EXACTLY like the noise coming from Baltimore fans in 2008. EXACTLY. And quarterback and team performance has so far matched it almost identically.

Stop forcing that silly analogy.

Nobody cares.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm
    He wasn't great but there was OBVIOUSLY progress.
    That and a win were all I wanted
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:52 pm
  • I agree, dunce. His long ball to Tate was his best throw of the year. Nice to see him target Miller, also. HOWEVER.... Carolina isn't a very good defense-and he gave them 7 points. So much improvement needed. Good game, though, overall. There were positive signs.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:21 am
  • bestfightstory wrote:I agree, dunce. His long ball to Tate was his best throw of the year. Nice to see him target Miller, also. HOWEVER.... Carolina isn't a very good defense-and he gave them 7 points. So much improvement needed. Good game, though, overall. There were positive signs.

Good game, improvement needed. Great throw to Tate, bad throw on the INT. He found Sidney & Zach multiple times, even Doug and Braylon for a change. He's on the right path. I'm BEHIND him.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:48 am
  • OK, I really don't get this abject refusal to acknowledge that our rookie QB is improving. Isn't it obvious that he is? Jeez, some of you sound like the ninnies who were complaining about the replacement refs, without ever acknowledging that the regular refs regularly screw up too. Many of us had unrealistic expectations of him coming into the regular seasons, and then we saw his imperfections. So OK, he isn't perfect. But it seems that many here aren't going to be happy with him until he is.

I don't get it.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:05 am
  • BlueTalon wrote:OK, I really don't get this abject refusal to acknowledge that our rookie QB is improving. Isn't it obvious that he is? Jeez, some of you sound like the ninnies who were complaining about the replacement refs, without ever acknowledging that the regular refs regularly screw up too. Many of us had unrealistic expectations of him coming into the regular seasons, and then we saw his imperfections. So OK, he isn't perfect. But it seems that many here aren't going to be happy with him until he is.

I don't get it.

Who is displaying abject refusal to acknowledge such things? Get them up against The WaLL!
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 am
  • Not refusal, I think it's great when ANY player improves. Cheers, praise, and all that rah-rah stuff! I was in the gameday forum just today saying he's playing better (then again, any worse and we would be seeing another loss there).

No, I just don't think RW should be on the field yet, not until he's improved. The PHX and STL games have already passed. Those were wins, so the only issue is one with PC if you're asking. I have nothing against RW, understand? He may very well be a good QB in the NFL one day, he's just not that right now. Time and experience will tell that tale.

* I really think the only constant and honest praise still goes to our defense and RB's/Oline. How about some of that? They've been sealing our wins and tempering our losses.
    Last edited by hawkfan1975 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:43 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:What rookies would those be? Out of curiosity.

To name two in the last couple of years - Weeden and Gabbert.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 am
  • I've been behind RW since day one, however I didn't/ don't have high expectations for him this season as I think he will need a full year to rally get going, great if we do something this season but I see next season as our year.
    Seatown001
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:12 am
  • One can go through and highlights Russell’s progress toward being a poor,average, good, or elite quarterback and (depending which side of the fence you want to stand on) find plenty of evidence to bolster a claim for any of the above. In reality though, we’re comparing what he does to what we think Matt may do. That’s probably not fair, but being fair isn’t a requirement to post on this or any other board.

The search for a franchise QB is the Holy Grail quest of every team in the NFL. We all want that elusive “guy” that can carry a team when things look the darkest, who can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, who’s very presents can will a team to win, or insert any other cliché you want. The point is the search goes on every day, on every team, for as long as they plan on being competitive in the NFL.

Some teams get “lucky” in the draft, some mortgage their futures, some trade for backups buried deep in the depth charts of other teams who already have “the one”, some are so bad one falls into their laps, and some are destined search for decades. The strange thing is though; you never know you’ve found your pot of gold before it happens.

Who knew when Miami took the sixth and last QB in the first round of the famous ’83 draft they had a future HoFer, only the most optimistic fan could have believed that. Or San Diego would trade away TWO future MVPs and still end up with their QBOTF? Or when NE traded away their “number one pick in the draft franchise QB”, to start a little known sixth rounder; they would be at the beginning of a dynasty? Or when Green Bay gave up a second round pick for Steve Miller’s backup they would have one of the best QBs to ever play the game?

The point, of my rambling post, is at this stage we don’t know what we have. Wilson could be Joe Montana or Steve Dils, Tom Brady or Todd Husak and Flynn could be Brett Favre or Jeff Lewis, Drew Brees or Scott Mitchell. What we do know is Pete and John haven’t mortgaged the franchise in their search for our own Holy Grail, they haven’t wasted precious first round capital year after year, and they haven’t searched in vain for decades….YET.

So can I get behind Russell Wilson, absolutely, he may end up being a Joe Montana or maybe just a Dave Krieg in the making and I (the fans and most likely this franchise) could live with that and be happy.

And if Matt Flynn is a Kurt Warner waiting in the wings, well I can live with that as well. Can you?
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."
    (“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:24 am
  • FidelisHawk wrote:One can go through and highlights Russell’s progress toward being a poor,average, good, or elite quarterback and (depending which side of the fence you want to stand on) find plenty of evidence to bolster a claim for any of the above. In reality though, we’re comparing what he does to what we think Matt may do. That’s probably not fair, but being fair isn’t a requirement to post on this or any other board.

The search for a franchise QB is the Holy Grail quest of every team in the NFL. We all want that elusive “guy” that can carry a team when things look the darkest, who can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, who’s very presents can will a team to win, or insert any other cliché you want. The point is the search goes on every day, on every team, for as long as they plan on being competitive in the NFL.

Some teams get “lucky” in the draft, some mortgage their futures, some trade for backups buried deep in the depth charts of other teams who already have “the one”, some are so bad one falls into their laps, and some are destined search for decades. The strange thing is though; you never know you’ve found your pot of gold before it happens.

Who knew when Miami took the sixth and last QB in the first round of the famous ’83 draft they had a future HoFer, only the most optimistic fan could have believed that. Or San Diego would trade away TWO future MVPs and still end up with their QBOTF? Or when NE traded away their “number one pick in the draft franchise QB”, to start a little known sixth rounder; they would be at the beginning of a dynasty? Or when Green Bay gave up a second round pick for Steve Miller’s backup they would have one of the best QBs to ever play the game?

The point, of my rambling post, is at this stage we don’t know what we have. Wilson could be Joe Montana or Steve Dils, Tom Brady or Todd Husak and Flynn could be Brett Favre or Jeff Lewis, Drew Brees or Scott Mitchell. What we do know is Pete and John haven’t mortgaged the franchise in their search for our own Holy Grail, they haven’t wasted precious first round capital year after year, and they haven’t searched in vain for decades….YET.

So can I get behind Russell Wilson, absolutely, he may end up being a Joe Montana or maybe just a Dave Krieg in the making and I (the fans and most likely this franchise) could live with that and be happy.

And if Matt Flynn is a Kurt Warner waiting in the wings, well I can live with that as well. Can you?

Solo, slow, building, '80's, clapping :P

hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:08 am
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:What rookies would those be? Out of curiosity.

To name two in the last couple of years - Weeden and Gabbert.

It's time you stopped hating on Weeden. After that first week, he's been looking pretty good. On an even slightly better team he'd be winning. So stop it.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:22 am
  • In fairness Peaches you're an Oklahoma State fan. It's not the most objective debate is it?

I saw some of the Giants game on red zone and don't think it warrants a change of tact. He'd be doing better in a superior team than Cleveland, but he was drafted to be good quickly - quicker than most rookies given he's approaching 29. And he isn't. That's always been my point.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:16 am
  • I'll get 100% behind Wilson when I see solid evidence he is a better QB then Flynn (this team, this O, this year). Our goal was to improve at the QB position from TJack. Please go look at the numbers, we still haven't done that after 5 games, so our objectives in making changes have not been met.

Nice to get the W and to see some improvement, but that is not enough given the weakness of the opponents D.
    "Improvement" can come from who you play-
    Verndog
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:29 am
  • The haters said he wasn't going downfield. This time he completed several pretty downfield passes, perfectly placed.
    The haters said he couldn't see over the line. This time he appeared to have no sight line problems.
    The haters said he couldn't score in the red zone. This time he completed a 13 yd TD pass in the zone.
    The haters said he couldn't convert on 3rd down. This time he was 7 for 14 on third down.

I thought it looked just fine. Sit Breno for the first Qtr against the Pats.
    Daddy Love
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:34 am
  • Daddy Love wrote:The haters said he wasn't going downfield. This time he completed several pretty downfield passes, perfectly placed.
    The haters said he couldn't see over the line. This time he appeared to have no sight line problems.
    The haters said he couldn't score in the red zone. This time he completed a 13 yd TD pass in the zone.
    The haters said he couldn't convert on 3rd down. This time he was 7 for 14 on third down.

I thought it looked just fine. Sit Breno for the first Qtr against the Pats.

THIS.

If I came on this site without watching yesterdays game, I swear I would have thought we lost and Wilson threw 3 picks. The pick six was on him, no doubt, but the amount of criticism being put on him right now is bordering on ridiculous. Did ANYONE see the 60 yard bomb he threw right into the hands of Tate? Or his 76% completion percentage? Or his near perfect day throwing on 3rd down?

Once our offense stops shooting themselves in the foot, this team will be SPECIAL. Y'all are a bunch of negative nancies.
    Throw it. I dare you.
    -seanhawk-
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:39 am
  • truehawksfan wrote:I guess we all have our opinions, and he can look at thin gs differently. Is RW makng progress? I think so and I hope he continues to improve because he missed a wide open Baldwin in the endzone that cost the team a TD. And he missed a wide open Tate crossing the middle. Sheesh, the announcers said this and the replays showe, but oh well, if you want to ignore that or dismiss it....hey, it's your choice.

I, tho, will not.

Sorry.

Yes and Newton didnt see wide open receivers, and Rogers didnt see a wide open receiver and Brees did not see a wide open receiver and Rivers didnt see wide open recievers in the end zone. Man you make it sould like only RW doesnt see someone. Nobody is ignoring it. But he doesnt do it any more than any other QB in the league.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:44 am
  • Sorry but I am just not buying that performance as impressive considering how bad Carolina's D is. Wilson needs to start generating touchdowns instead of field goals in the red zone consistently and he will have my support, but until then, we will keep barely winning games that we should win in blowouts and losing to many of the good teams we play. He simply does not impress me with his play, and I am very confident that the team would look better if Flynn was playing.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:53 am
  • Sorry but I am just not buying that performance as impressive considering how bad Carolina's D is.

That's all I'm sayin'
    bingotown
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:22 am
  • We don't know what we have in Flynn seems to be the only defense for not starting him. Well we DO know this: After 5 games, Wilson is averaging 60 yards per game less passing than TJack. Now we know TJack couldn't have gotten any better. I hated getting him, but I respect what he did here. Still, Wilson is a rookie and we've taken a step BACK with Wilson under center. The upside is that - and while there is no guarantee - I think we ALL agree that Wilson will one day be much better than TJack ever could be.

So we took a step backwards this season, when we have the No 1 defense and a top 10 rushing attack, in order to groom Wilson to be the QBOTF. That decision cost us being 5-0 because with TJack's extra 60 yards passing per game after 5 games last year, we'd have beaten both AZ and the Rams. The GB game wouldn't have been as close either. Nor would the Carolina game.

What else do we KNOW? That Flynn was much better than TJack. That it is quite possible Wilson won the starting job due to Matt Flynn's tendinitis. That TJack was always gone from this team unless either Wilson or Flynn totally flopped, because both QB's have more upside than TJack ever will.

So, since Flynn was much better than Tjack and TJack would have done better than Wilson these first five games due to Wilson being a rookie, it is pretty much nondebatable that we DO KNOW that Flynn would have been better than Wilson these first five games had he started. And if TJacks 60 yards of extra passing a game would have made us 5-0, then it's safe to say had we started Flynn right now we'd be 5-0.

Not that what we think will possibly matter. It's all moot now. It's Wilson's job to lose.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:31 am
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:We don't know what we have in Flynn seems to be the only defense for not starting him. Well we DO know this: After 5 games, Wilson is averaging 60 yards per game less passing than TJack. Now we know TJack couldn't have gotten any better. I hated getting him, but I respect what he did here. Still, Wilson is a rookie and we've taken a step BACK with Wilson under center. The upside is that - and while there is no guarantee - I think we ALL agree that Wilson will one day be much better than TJack ever could be.

So we took a step backwards this season, when we have the No 1 defense and a top 10 rushing attack, in order to groom Wilson to be the QBOTF. That decision cost us being 5-0 because with TJack's extra 60 yards passing per game after 5 games last year, we'd have beaten both AZ and the Rams. The GB game wouldn't have been as close either. Nor would the Carolina game.

What else do we KNOW? That Flynn was much better than TJack. That it is quite possible Wilson won the starting job due to Matt Flynn's tendinitis. That TJack was always gone from this team unless either Wilson or Flynn totally flopped, because both QB's have more upside than TJack ever will.

So, since Flynn was much better than Tjack and TJack would have done better than Wilson these first five games due to Wilson being a rookie, it is pretty much nondebatable that we DO KNOW that Flynn would have been better than Wilson these first five games had he started. And if TJacks 60 yards of extra passing a game would have made us 5-0, then it's safe to say had we started Flynn right now we'd be 5-0.

Not that what we think will possibly matter. It's all moot now. It's Wilson's job to lose.

That "transitive property" crap you're peddling is nothing but speculation.

Wilson is passing for fewer yards than Jackson did through 5 games last season, yeah. It helps that Jackson was in charge of a no-huddle offense that went pass happy in Weeks 4 and 5 last season. If you compare the first three games of each season to each other, it's a hell of a lot closer. Plus, Wilson is attempting 10 fewer passes per game than Jackson did at the start of last season. Put Wilson in a no-huddle and give him more attempts per game, and sure, you might see his numbers improve.

But that doesn't seem to be the kind of offensive identity that the team wants to adopt, and last year's performances bear that out. The team didn't start stringing together wins until it abandoned the pass-happy, big yardage offense and switched to a run-heavy offense that limited the passing attempts and yardage. Look at the stretch last season when Seattle won 5 of 6. The most passing yardage in any of those games? 226. And the attempts per game ranged from 16 to 34, with the average being well below the 35 attempts per game in the first 5 games of the season.

This obsession with yards per game is retarded.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:32 am
  • Did anyone else notice he threw behind his receivers on those interceptions? I think he did but will have to watch again to be sure.
    "While it's true most dragons are cruel, the Terpdragon seems to take particular glee in the misery of others, often tormenting her victims much like a cat plays with a mouse before delivering the final blow."
    Terpdragon
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:43 am
  • Terpdragon wrote:Did anyone else notice he threw behind his receivers on those interceptions? I think he did but will have to watch again to be sure.

Yes, clearly. People can refer to it as a"fluke", but the Lynch int. (although should have been caught), was behind him off his back hip into tight coverage. This will happen to every QB in the league from time to time...and they all count.
    Verndog
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:46 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:100% agree. I would love to put all the QB debate behind us. Unfortunatly I dont think its going to happen.

The debate will never be behind us until Wilson plays consistently well each and every week.

I love my Hawks, but it's very frustrating to watch our offense when our defense is so damn good.........and I know it's not all on Wilson. Stupid penalties, poor pass blocking, WR's that can't beat one on one coverage, dropped passes. There's a lot of blame to go around. But the bottom line is if we want to make the playoffs, the offense has to pick it up. We can't keep trying to eek out wins on the last drive. This team has to start putting other teams away, not let bad teams hang around.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:06 am
  • Verndog wrote:
    Terpdragon wrote:Did anyone else notice he threw behind his receivers on those interceptions? I think he did but will have to watch again to be sure.

Yes, clearly. People can refer to it as a"fluke", but the Lynch int. (although should have been caught), was behind him off his back hip into tight coverage. This will happen to every QB in the league from time to time...and they all count.

Actually agree with you, Sugarpants. That Lynch fumble had alot to do with RW making a bad decision. However, it's only bad decision BECAUSE the RB's, WR's and TE' are still learning how to play with RW. Lynch wan't expecting it, but he will now.
    Last edited by pehawk on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:15 am
  • Wilson showed improvement for sure and a lot of his big plays were negated by penalties but I’m not back to drinking the Wilson coolaid just yet. He owes this win to Brandon Browner, or we would be talking about how he’s not the immediate answer for this offense, this year. Many missed opportunities. 3 pts in the red zone when we have a very good running game is not going to cut it against a team like the Pats. The 3-2 record means nothing because that would be the baseline record with our #1 Defense, with any other quarterback including TJack.

Now this week is going to be a tough task. The Patriots have a quick passing attack and a solid RB in Ridley. Our D’s weakness may be the quick passing game. As the top offense in the NFL, they’re going to get their points. If Wilson can at least keep this game close, we’ll talk about getting behind him 100%. If not, the controversy continues.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:51 am
  • This obsession with yards per game is retarded.

+1
    Daddy Love
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:58 am
  • Daddy Love wrote:
    This obsession with yards per game is retarded.

+1

I'm not obsessed with yards, I'm obsessed with points........as in Wilson has a hard time scoring them.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 am
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:We don't know what we have in Flynn seems to be the only defense for not starting him. Well we DO know this: After 5 games, Wilson is averaging 60 yards per game less passing than TJack.

What else do we KNOW? That Flynn was much better than TJack.

Do you know what else we KNOW? Flynn couldn't take the job in open competition and beat the rookie when it counted.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:15 am
  • geez, the Lynch fumble should have been a reception for positive yards, saying anything else is just saying Lynch is a second rate varsity type player, he knows he had that ball, it happens
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:22 am
  • BlueTalon wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:We don't know what we have in Flynn seems to be the only defense for not starting him. Well we DO know this: After 5 games, Wilson is averaging 60 yards per game less passing than TJack.

What else do we KNOW? That Flynn was much better than TJack.

Do you know what else we KNOW? Flynn couldn't take the job in open competition and beat the rookie when it counted.

Don't confuse the word didn't with couldn't. ;)

Flynn is capable, make no mistake. He clearly beat out Tjack, and much can be said about his numbers vs Wilsons numbers, who they played, and with what receivers and running game...ect.

All that is water under the bridge at this point though, and what now is important is who gives us the best chance TODAY. There is no clear answer, so this WILL continue.

This goes way beyond yards. Look at all the numbers, points, int's, QB rating, 1st downs, ect...TJack was better through 5 games with a worse Oline. Ohh...and we beat the SB champ Giants in game 5 last year.

People need to quit comparing Wilson to other rookies and start comparing him to who he is replacing, and who is on the bench...otherwise they are the ones being "retarded".
    Verndog
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:22 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information