Thoughts on our matchup against the Patriots

gubernaculum

Reaction score
On offense, I expect a good dose of jump balls to Sidney against their undersized secondary, along with a steady diet of beastmode.

If our secondary has one weakness, it seems that quick receivers like Amendola have been getting open on underneath routes, particularly with formations where we can't jam their receivers. I'd expect the Patriots to do a lot of no huddle to keep our base defense on the field. This is going to be a great test for our young linebackers, who I expect to be forced into coverage situations.

Against Brady it is going to take TD's in the red zone instead of field goals. Looking forward to seeing RW take another big step on Sunday!

nsport

Reaction score
Nothing changes on offense from last game. I suspect if we saw anything new against Carolina that was the ability to open up the middle with seam routes to ZM. That was a great improvement in the game. I also think we see a few fewer out routes as there was another INT on RW to an out receiver. I think we readjust with cover-2 beaters with Rice/Tate and more crossing and inside route patterns to our TE's and Baldwin. The best thing we have going for our offense is they are quite young on D and we can do a lot to help ourselves with a solid running game and exploitative yet conservative passing game (sound familiar?)

On Defense, the tape on our Seahawks reveal just as you said - these smaller receivers will certainly cause trouble when lined up inside/slot because the press coverage by our corners on the outside gives the slot guy a lot of space to work (since they are typically off the LOS and our coverage is usually 5-10 deep there). The nickel/dime guy will have a tough job due the the free release by that slot guy. Also, if in a base D, there's no way our LB's can cover the shifty little guys and still cover Gronk and possibly Hernandez. Hence the reason no outside WR has had a big game in New England for years - just doesn't happen. They have a new running game this year which has not been seen in Tom Brady's career - so it's a bit of a wrinkle that's hard to analyze - however with their record at 3-2, it's encouraging to know their losses came against stingy defenses (Baltimore and Arizona).

I think the matchup favors us slightly - but it is a sure hall of fame QB, a guy who broke the tight end TD record, and a guy who has more receptions than anyone else in football igniting that offense. It will be a very good game for certain and extremely fun to watch.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Dont be surprised if we put earl Thomas on Welker and take Leroy out of the game for JeRon Johnson

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I am concerned. If they go no huddle I think it will slow down the pass rush and really gas the dline. They have the skill guys to make hay.

If we can't get to Brady its going to be curtains at halftime. Mainly because we can't score enough to keep up.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Tech Worlds":nijcn4m3 said:
I am concerned. If they go no huddle I think it will slow down the pass rush and really gas the dline. They have the skill guys to make hay.

If we can't get to Brady its going to be curtains at halftime. Mainly because we can't score enough to keep up.

Oh brother. Let's just fold up shop Dom. Clearly we have no chance. :bitenails:

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Aros":tw7nkzfv said:
Tech Worlds":tw7nkzfv said:

Oh brother. Let's just fold up shop Dom. Clearly we have no chance. :bitenails:

Oh sorry that I actually give the opposing team some respect.

OP
OP
G

gubernaculum

Reaction score
Great points!! Such a great bunch of posters on this board. Earl on Welker is an interesting idea. Even with that, I think Earl will need some occasional help. Probably better than Tru at this stage of his career. Since we are more concerned about Brady than their run game, I think that it is an excellent idea to have an extra DB out there instead of Hill - who has been strangely silent this year. Also agree with the necessity of a pass rush on Brady. No way our offense can keep up with them in a track meet. Our offense has to continue to sustain drives in order to keep our defense off the field against their no huddle.

Overall, I expect our home crowd to make the difference in the game.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Ok reading your posts IF the slot receiver is left w 5-10 yards cushion.. Brady is going to kill ya, that would be WELKER you be giving the easy underneath passes to. I also agree expect a lot of NO huddle not nec hurry up offense to catch your D in a bad formation Pats ar the best at the no huddle it seems.

Game should be close, but dont sleep on the Pats young D line either they can cause problems for your O as well.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
Keys to win...
keep Brady off the field. so in other words, TOP and long drives with td's
Have the legion show up so their recovers here the footsteps
12th man loud and proud.

Latest posts