Could this be a "trap" game for NE?

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'd never consider this team worthy of being called a "trap" opponent. That quote by Brady got me thinking, though, since he's usually pretty political with his pre-game comments to the media. With the Patriots being one of the pillars of the east coast football world, combined with a pretty significant lack of national coverage for the Hawks, do you think it's possible a Belichick-coached team walks in here expecting an easy win?

For anyone that hasn't seen it yet, here is the quote by Brady I'm referring to. It was in response to a question about playing in a stadium for the first time:

"There's probably not many that I haven't played at, at this point, but this will be fun. It's always nice when you take 53 guys on the road and you say, 'This is all we've got, and this is all we need, this is what we got to do,' and see 70,000 fans and keep them quiet, or turn them on their own team. That's the exciting part for road teams, to see if you can get them booing their own players."
-- Tom Brady to ESPNBoston.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... um=twitter

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":39jtvr88 said:
I think the Pats will be confident, but I doubt they'll overlook the Hawks in any way. The average NFL fan might know nothing about us, but I guarantee you that Belichick has taken notice of our D.

Definitely. I'm sure he's studied the way this defense swarms to the ball and how they use their press coverage. And one thing Belicheck has already done this year is use Ridley less for a specific game when the situation calls for it, so it's possible we may not see as much of Ridley/Bolden this week as we might otherwise expect.

OP
OP
Beer Hawk

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
I totally agree, I think Belichick knows exactly what they're getting into this Sunday. Something gives me the feeling, though, that the players might not be 100% lock-in-step with their coach on this one.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
They haven't won 3 Super Bowls in the 21st Century by underestimating and not-respecting their opponent I can assure you.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Aros":12v42rai said:
They haven't won 3 Super Bowls in the 21st Century by underestimating and not-respecting their opponent I can assure you.

Yeah, they did it by taping signal calls...

(To our Pats fans, I'm joking.)

(Or am I?)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I have never really seen the Patriots have a "trap" game in the classic sense. Totally lay an egg? Yes, but never really overlook somebody. The key to beating the Patriots is the same as it ever was since Brady has been there. Hit them in the mouth, hard and repeatedly.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I don't think Bilichek would allow his team to slip into that kind of mindset. I think they will be ready for a challenge and play very hard.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Hmm but couldnt it be even a BIGGER trap game for the Seahawks? I say this because they play the 49ers on THURSDAY night and thats a division foe and one you have to beat to have any chance win the division.
By being a short week I am SURE Carroll has introduced some idead what your going to do on Thursday w the 49ers.

IMO a better chance for the Seahawks to overlook the Pats, simply because its a NON conference game and a loss to the Pats hurts a LOT less than a loss to the 49ers... Both teams IMO need a FULL week to prep for rather unfair to you guys get a short week before facing the 49ers.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Don't agree with PP. If we lose all our divisional games on the road, and win all of them at home, it's still definitely possible to win the division.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Bocci,

DIVISIONAL and conference games MORE important then NON conference games. It goes back to tie breakers to make the playoffs. for example if you Beat NE but lose to SF, and say you and the Eagles tie for a wildcard spot (and all comman opponents equal) and their conference record is I dont knoq 7-3 and yours is 6-4 That loss makes a bigger difference now.. The SF and ANY conference game 100% more important.

And I never said you couldnt win the division and lose to SF.. I said the game was more important esp on such a short week.

themunn

Reaction score
Brady has been around the block a few times, and I'd wager he thinks to himself "I've played in a loud environment before, CenturyLink is nothing to fear".
And I think he's in for a rude awakening.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Munn,

Brady SHOULDNT fear your stadium, it will be loud. Should he shake and worry about NOISE? No he will game plan and practice to beat the Hawks D.

OP
OP
Beer Hawk

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
Aros":30knlh68 said:

I guess what I'm getting at isn't so much about disrespect but a disparity between how hard this defense hits compared to what most people in the country think. I think Belichick WILL try and put an emphasis on that during the week, but when it comes to how the players take that in, that space between reality and perception could really help the Hawks this week (i.e. when Miles Austin/Cowboys WRs getting tired of being pushed around during that game).

SirTed

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":2aq7hute said:
Hmm but couldnt it be even a BIGGER trap game for the Seahawks? I say this because they play the 49ers on THURSDAY night and thats a division foe and one you have to beat to have any chance win the division.
By being a short week I am SURE Carroll has introduced some idead what your going to do on Thursday w the 49ers.

IMO a better chance for the Seahawks to overlook the Pats, simply because its a NON conference game and a loss to the Pats hurts a LOT less than a loss to the 49ers... Both teams IMO need a FULL week to prep for rather unfair to you guys get a short week before facing the 49ers.

How many times (after their 1st SB win) have the Pats been a trap game in the Brady / Belichick era? I don't think that's possible, even with the 9ers looming on Thurs.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Beer,

Are you sure your team will not be looking ahead to the 49ers? I mean they have so LITTLE time to prepare for that game and as I stated a conference/divisional game trumps ANY team from out of conference... even the Pats.

I say a better chance your team overlooks NE and is looking ahead to the niners.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
SirTed,

"trap" meaning your team had to choose what to concentrate more on during the week. The Patriots or the 49ers? It is tough, but I would think Carroll put more emphasis on the niners game. (I mean 2 days to truly prep the team to play is insane for such a big game.)

OP
OP
Beer Hawk

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":xkz400oq said:
Beer,

Are you sure your team will not be looking ahead to the 49ers? I mean they have so LITTLE time to prepare for that game and as I stated a conference/divisional game trumps ANY team from out of conference... even the Pats.

I say a better chance your team overlooks NE and is looking ahead to the niners.

If this were a road game, I'd say that's more possible. But this team plays with a HUGE chip on it's shoulder, so I think they're up for any chance to take it to a team with a good reputation like the Patriots.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
I don't believe it is a trap game for the Pats simply because AZ was THE TRAP game and BB will remind them ALL WEEK about that game. The O was cocky and played like crap, and BB will let them know that as well.

So def not a trap game for the Pats O, the D to young have a trap game they are not good enough take anyone for granted yet.. (now come week 15 they will be scary good under the emperor guidance :p )

Twisted

Reaction score
Aros":suofr2nk said:

yea, just look at who they've had to play just within their own division, Patriots are good but not that good, they like to break your will early and if that don't happen they usually lose, watching the Hawks play the first five weeks I don't see the Pats breaking anyones will, Hawks have been in each and every game right down to the wire with a ton of heart and the 12th man ain't booing anyone, Brady is day dreaming, again. but thats all right I suspect thats all he can do after he's exhausted all possibilities on how he's going to move the ball, this isn't a Jets, Miami or a Bills team he's facing..

the NFC west has SMASHED the AFC east six to nothing in the first 5 weeks

Latest posts