Next game substitutions

seahawks-in-qc

Reaction score
Hey,

I wonder since we play with so many substitutions on the D-Line how Gus Bradley will deal with that?

Do you prefer if he gives more snap to Irvin since Pats are a pass first offense? (even tough they have 162 rushing yards/game).

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
I heard speculation that they'd have defenses called ahead based on the outcome of each play (e.g. incompletion). Probably not a perfect solution but it theoretically enables you to get people on/off the field as quickly as the refs can get the ball spotted.

cdallan

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a fair deal, and this is a really difficult game to call on D. Assuming that both NE TEs are fit, we should see a fair bit of 1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR formations, yes? So don't we really have to go Nickel as our base D?

If we decide to go Nickel, do we go Big Nickel (with Jeron Johnson or Winston Guy), or Nickel-Nickel with Tru in the slot? Or do you match Browner on one of the TEs? Depends on whether we see a lot of Welker, right? And do we play KJ with Hill, or with Wagner to have more speed on the field? And all of that is before we get to the DL.

FWIW, I would go with Bryant at DE, but replace Branch in our base D with Jones to get some inside pressure and height - the Pats OL may not be that good inside. Then when they are gassed and we get a chance to sub, mix in Irvin and Branch. I would play base Nickel, with KJ and Wagner, and would send out Johnson or Guy if I see both Hernandez and Gronkowski sent out there, and Tru if I see 3 WRs.

Having said all that, we probably end up playing our base 4-3 and I am compleely overthinking things. But this is going to be a really interesting game.