Sometimes its most obvious things

Blitzfan

Reaction score
...that are missed. I never thought about it this way, but my wife commented during last week's game "How come whenever a team has come to play us, people always say "They had to fly all the way out to the west coast." Yet whenever we play on the east coast, no one mentions our travel distance?"

To tell ya the truth I never looked at it from that point of view. I guess I just accepted it as normal, all the traveling we have to do. But she's a relatively new fan, a babe in the football woods, so to speak. The comment gave me pause right in the middle of the game, "Yeah, why is our travel taken for granted, yet it's always pointed put when teams have to come to our house!" Then Tate scored and all was good again, lol.

docj78

Reaction score
It's funny, because I've flown East and West more times than I can count, and travelling East is ALWAYS more difficult to adjust to than flying West. I'd say this is just more of the East Coast bias we've been struggling against.

sutz

Reaction score
Most of the teams are east of the Mississippi. For them, travel usually means a few hundred miles. So a trip to the west coast is unusual for them. Our shortest trip is nearly 1000 miles to SF. They'd have to mention our travel every time we play a road game.

themunn

Reaction score
To be honest I think they mention our travelling as a WHOLE a lot, they won't say "the seahawks had to travel this far" for a game unless it's to florida or something, but we hear regularly about how "no team travels as much as the seahawks, they travel 30,000 miles a year or something"

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The problem I see is east coast teams ate so use to short trips that a west coast game is considered cruel and unusual punishment. That is how they managed to argue that east coast teams shouldn't have to travel west more than twice a season and why we had to travel to Pittsburgh last season for a game that was suppose to be in Seattle

The problem is what they had to ignore to justify the change in saying west coast teams are use to the travel challenge. Kind of sounds like mom making things a little easier for little brother to easier for him. Maybe step mom is the better analogy. No matter how you look at it the only reasonable answer is east coast bias and in my opinion they should be ashamed. Maybe we should too for allowing it to happen. I don't remember a single person standing up for west coast teams so maybe we got what we deserved.