Did our defense win today vs Brady & Sons?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Just some interesting stats from today's game (at least, interesting to me). Especially if you think the Patriot and Tom Brady had their way with this defense.

(Shoot, I just noticed these stats are for all 6 games, so the Seahawks game is included, which means things WERE even better than they are now).

Brady and the Pats are #1 in the league in Yards/gm at 440. They ended this game at 473, slightly above their average.

Not a win for the Seahawks defense, but not a loss either, but here is where things get interesting.......

Patriots are #4 in the league in rushing yards per game at 152. The Seahawks held them to 85.

Patriots are 1st in the league in scoring per game at 31. The Seahawks held them to 23, more the a touchdown below average. Only Arizona held them to less.

Patriots are #7 in the league at 7.8 yards per pass attempt. The Seahawks held them to 6.6 per attempt.

Patriots are #9 in the league in rushing yards per attempt at 4.3. The Seahawks held them to 3.3 per attempt.

Patriots are #3 in the league in 3rd down conversions at 47%. The Seahawks held them to 44% (not much, but still a win).

Brady came into the game with 1 Int, or .2 per game average. The Seahawks had 2 interceptions, and dropped 3 more.

So, no matter how the national media spins it, this was a HUGE WIN for the Seattle defense.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
And another thing.... we need a better nickle corner. Trufant is done.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":17d31lgk said:
You are going to hurt Radish's feelings.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":80irc916 said:
Jazzhawk":80irc916 said:
You are going to hurt Radish's feelings.
Eh, it's happened before. :mrgreen:

sutz

Reaction score
Great stats for the D.

Oh, and how many WRs will Tru face this season as good as Welker? I'd argue not many. Tru's fine, although it wouldn't surprise me if WTIII replaces him after his return to the active roster. I love Tru, but I'll admit he's getting a bit long in the tooth.

zhawk

Reaction score
defense was awesome.... mostly, but a huge game by wilson.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't know who the #3 scoring defense was, but we should be #1 after the Giants ran up the score on SF's defense.

I don't blame Trufant. There isn't a nickle corner in the league that can cover Welker. Seriously. Just like I don't know many Lbers that can cover Gronk. I thought that Chancellor had a chance at being good against him but Gronk had his way this game.

I'd still be curious if WTIII will be better than Tru.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Looking at the D as the game went along, end of the 3rd-4th quarter vs. first two quarters, they got better, rattled Brady and covered the short and deep stuff. Run game stuffed for the most part as well.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There was a thought league wide that we could not win a game where the opponent scored more than 20 points.

dismissed.

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
Hawks46 said:
I don't know who the #3 scoring defense was, but we should be #1 after the Giants ran up the score on SF's defense.

i think as of week 6 we are the #1 defense with 93 points against with the 9ers at #2 with 94 pts against. the cardinals are also #3 with 97 points against. this is all excluding the bears tho who have had a bye

sc85sis

Reaction score
This was a team win all around. Defense held the Pats to 1 of 6 in the red zone. Offense was hot when we needed them to be.

Pete must really be happy--we had 26 rush attempts and 27 pass attempts for the game. That's exactly the kind of balance he loves.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
AnchoviesofTerror":3i8274or said:
Hawks46":3i8274or said:

i think as of week 6 we are the #1 defense with 93 points against with the 9ers at #2 with 94 pts against. the cardinals are also #3 with 97 points against. this is all excluding the bears tho who have had a bye
Chicago is listed as #1 scoring with only 71 points given up, but in only 5 games (14.2/game). The Texans were #2, but they just exploded against the Packers. so, Seattle is #2 at 93 points given up in 6 games (15.5/game). Of the teams that have played 6 games, Seattle is #1.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2xk86c2e said:
Defense stepped up when they needed to, but this game was won by the offense. Defense played large. Offense played just a little bigger.
I don't disagree at all. I was just trying to put a positive spin on the defense. At first blush it looks like we didn't play up to our standards, but looking at the fact that we kept the really awesome Patriots offense below their averages shows they did quite well.

nategreat

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1ih6gndm said:

Don't recall Trufant's play specifically. The good news is, though, if need be, Thurmond should be back in action soon. Though he isn't quite the same size as Sherm and Browner, he'd hopefully make for a solid nickel guy. I also remember being impressed at times by Jeremy Lane. I'm confident that between these three (Tru, WTIII, and Lane) someone will step up.