Should We Just Turn Loose

seedhawk

Reaction score
We have 10 days to rest up and work on things. Detroit has a pretty fair O, and a suspect D. Should we invest this game, and just turn Bevel and the O loose and see what happens? I believe our D will turn Detroit one dimensional. Is it time to take the training wheels off and roll?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I almost think we are turning it "too" loose. We need to be able to use the short and intermediate passing game MUCH better to be successful. We can throw deep and we can run. The next step in this progression is the quick read and timing of the short/intermediate routes. Oh yea and actually catching them would help

OP
OP
S

seedhawk

Reaction score
Guess I didn't explain myself well enough. What I meant was, should we not worry so much about ball security and trust our D to overcome mistakes that will certainly happen. Seems to me our O is hampered/dampened by our reduce risk/play safe/grind it out/ play for field position first mentality.

If indeed our D is good enough, trust them, but you also have to trust your O and it's players to step up and MAKE a play instead of worrying about making a mistake.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I hope both sides turn it loose, I want Detroit to SUFFER!

I want Nate Burleson and Megatron afraid to catch that ball for fear of Chancellor or Browner/Sherman rocking them, I want Stafford thinking twice when throwing the ball into the secondary. I want Wilson, Rice, and whoever wants to catch the ball that day to make Detroit sorry for putting such a sorry secondary out there, and I want Lynch to show Suh and the boys just what in the hell beast mode is all about.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kidhawk":dvkfoyra said:
I almost think we are turning it "too" loose. We need to be able to use the short and intermediate passing game MUCH better to be successful. We can throw deep and we can run. The next step in this progression is the quick read and timing of the short/intermediate routes. Oh yea and actually catching them would help

I agree here. The thing that is missing from our passing game is the short to intermediate stuff. SF made a living last night taking the dump offs and check downs.

m0ng0

Reaction score
seedhawk":2f0e2tbm said:
If indeed our D is good enough, trust them, but you also have to trust your O and it's players to step up and MAKE a play instead of worrying about making a mistake.

I think its more about making PLAYS and moving the chains, solid, consistent and unstoppable 8-12 play drives it what our defense needs to keep from running out of gas.

OP
OP
S

seedhawk

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2dxghwng said:
Someone starts a similar thread every week haha

Well, I did specifically reference this thread to the Detroit game. Leaving out the Panthers, whose D scares NO ONE, we have played an entire string of D's that for one reason or another just make us look shabby.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
seedhawk":2tq8lg6s said:
We have 10 days to rest up and work on things. Detroit has a pretty fair O, and a suspect D. Should we invest this game, and just turn Bevel and the O loose and see what happens? I believe our D will turn Detroit one dimensional. Is it time to take the training wheels off and roll?
We need to let both 86 both out coords. 2 of the worst in the league IMHO. There isn't a full set of man marbles between the both of them. Everyone knew they were going to go to Gore a lot, and they did, and with all of the weapons we have on defense we couldn't stop it???????? Alex Smith should have been on his keister everytime he attempted to throw the ball.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Burleson scares me more than Megatron does for this game after witnessing how well slot receivers and check downs burn our defense. The Lions do have a really good check down RB in Leshore.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
seedhawk":36yfj6wx said:
SeahawksFanForever":36yfj6wx said:
Someone starts a similar thread every week haha

Well, I did specifically reference this thread to the Detroit game. Leaving out the Panthers, whose D scares NO ONE, we have played an entire string of D's that for one reason or another just make us look shabby.

It's cool bro! I approve this thread :)

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
If they haven't turned the playbook completely open for RW they need to so he can learn faster.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I think they should work on the short passing game. All those high percentage passes that works so well in a WCO style offense. There are two very compelling reasons to do so as soon as possible: We aren't going anywhere in the playoffs if we have no short passing game. Two: We don't know if Wilson CAN make short passes or if the reason he doesn't is due to his height. Even though he's played good enough that we're probably going to make the playoffs, he really hasn't proven that his height isn't an issue. This inability to dink and dunk is worrisome.

I think a lot of calls for Flynn would subside if Wilson started using dink and dunks and intermediate passes to move the chains and mixed those up with his usual deep passes. That's how our offense is going to get on a roll.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The short and intermediate pass's are critical to success in a WCO. Without them you are not running it and therefore going away from Bevell's experience.

Another thing we need to dramatically improve is pocket presence and a three step drop. Managing the pocket will do wonders for the O-line if they know the QB is doing that. So far Wilson has drug the O-line all over the back field trying to block for him and it results in more holding calls and protection break down. When we talk about the O-line gelling, to me this is what you are referring to. Learning how to work together and that requires the QB to do his part in not breaking any cohesion they are starting to build. I believe it is severely slowing the learning curve of the O-line. If we are going to be successful in the playoffs we need our O-line playing their best and they will not get there until they know the QB is not running out of the pocket and into defenders. The three step drop is a timing pass and is designed again to make the O-line look better. Partly due to only having to block for three or less seconds but also because defenses will back off when they realize they can't get to the QB and are over committing and letting plays develop behind them. Another benefit of the three step drop is YAC. Right now defenses are stacking the box and forcing Wilson to beat them. They are sending blitzes and clogging the middle to reduce the potential throwing lanes. If we can't take advantage of the middle of the field and get the ball out quickly, they will continue doing the same.

I like much of what I am seeing from Wilson but he has some huge hurdles yet to overcome before we can really get a feel for whether he can be a game changer at this level instead of just a game manager.