What if this had happened...

Schadie001

Reaction score
I am one that believes we would have seen a completely different game last night had only 3 things happened differently.

First, had turbin caught the ball that hit him right in the hands, it would have been a score or put us deep in the red zone setting up a score.

Second, had Evan Moore caught the pass that hit him square in the numbers would have been potentially our second td. He was already past the db with no one up the side line.

Third, has Edwards been able to bring in the td that he had in both hands but was knocked out by the defenders helmet bringing it in.

Not even mentioning the drops by Tate, these 3 plays would have put us at 21 points in the half regardless of what sf did.

This would have changed the second half dramatically as they would have had to throw the ball instead of going to gore and ramming it down our throats. Playing catch up is not a strength of sf.

3 very makeable and rather routine plays I think really cost us this game.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Well for one thing, with this offense anything that wasn't dropped directly in the endzone wouldn't have automatically been a score considering this redzone offense. But I think most would agree that the game would have played out pretty different minus the drops. They seemed to be some pretty KEY drops this time around.

redhawk253

Reaction score
in my opinion we squandered several opportunities to be in the redzone due to these drops and while i dont think they would have been guaranteed scores like you.. i believe we could have put atleast one td on the board in the 1st quarter the way marshawn was running.. and then yes like you said completely different game.. pressure is on smith.. which he doesn't handle well and they are throwing against arguably our most dangerous players on the field.. legion of boom... prolly have more picks and a definitive victory in their house.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Schadie001":75fcjmw5 said:
I am one that believes we would have seen a completely different game last night had only 3 things happened differently.

First, had turbin caught the ball that hit him right in the hands, it would have been a score or put us deep in the red zone setting up a score.

Second, had Evan Moore caught the pass that hit him square in the numbers would have been potentially our second td. He was already past the db with no one up the side line.

Third, has Edwards been able to bring in the td that he had in both hands but was knocked out by the defenders helmet bringing it in.

Not even mentioning the drops by Tate, these 3 plays would have put us at 21 points in the half regardless of what sf did.

This would have changed the second half dramatically as they would have had to throw the ball instead of going to gore and ramming it down our throats. Playing catch up is not a strength of sf.

3 very makeable and rather routine plays I think really cost us this game.
Mark Schlereth said the same basic thing on his radio show last night.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
yup, if the receivers make these plays, shoot even if 2 out of 3 make these plays, we win the game. That's why I felt so sick last night. Missed opportunities. The 49ers were BEAT on all these plays, yet Seattle killed themselves on the 5 drop plays that cost them the game.

IndianFan

Reaction score
As Hawks fans, you are seeing the dropped passes and a different outcome to the game.
As a Niners fan, I can see all the uncalled penalties (defensive holding beyond 5 yards, face mask on Alex Smith to name a couple) and I can see the Niners running away with the game early and forcing RW into some mistakes being down multiple scores. Each fan's perspective is obviously biased towards his/her team.
All that said, what a great defensive game and what a great game to watch overall! Looking forward to the next one at CLink, should be another smashmouth fight.

drdiags

Reaction score
Just like the Packers could do the what if, there isn't much gained other than wanting to kick yourself. Sure, since we have 10 days before another game it doesn't hurt to pass the time with running various scenarios through your head. But take it to the extreme and you could see the Patriots, Packers, Panthers winning and the Cardinals and Rams losing.

Who really knows what kind of derivative game you get if the events changed. Maybe the team fumbles on the 4 yd line after Turbin is pushed out of bounds by the safety? Maybe someone does a pick 6 after the Moore catch? Not sure he scores with that catch. I think he is heading out of bounds. Too bad we don't have a Tardis and some crazy Darleks to get a peep into an alternative universe. Just messing with ya.

Don't do it to yourself. It can drive you bonkers thinking of what if. Bottom line, in the 2nd half the team could not hold onto the lead and lost. A game of inches.