Carroll Vs Harbaugh

Brockhawk

Reaction score
7 - 11 including 3 losses in a row.

This is an interesting article on their history.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/n...ch-pete-carroll-have-more-than-recent-history

Anyone want to convince me that I'm crazy for thinking Pete might not be able to beat this guy consistently. :pukeface: I think we have a great team being built right now and I want to get rid of this sick feeling like maybe the 49s have some kryptonite in that scary looking super intense bug eyed. Like I said I want to be convinced that Pete is the better coach. I know he's good but I want him to be the best... at the very least in our division. Is that to much to ask? Someone set me straight. I want to drink :179422: And :thirishdrinkers:

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
non story Brock. Pete got here when the Hawks were in shambles. Harbaugh took over a talented team that had been held back by its coach. So the Niners beat us three straight. Before that, Pete v Harbaugh is 7-8. In other words, pretty evenly matched.

OP
OP
B

Brockhawk

Reaction score
Thank you. I actually feel much better hearing someone say that. Guess its just a strong competition with some obvious ebb and flow. Maybe I am over reacting a bit. Really hope we destroy them later in the year. Have tickets to that game! My brother and I will be screaming as loud as we can at all the right times with the rest of the 12. God I hope they crumble in our house and are never quite the same.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":x8vsc55x said:
non story Brock. Pete got here when the Hawks were in shambles. Harbaugh took over a talented team that had been held back by its coach. So the Niners beat us three straight. Before that, Pete v Harbaugh is 7-8. In other words, pretty evenly matched.

If we ignore the fact that USC has the one of the best images in the country when it comes to athletics-- especially football-, and, therefore, Carroll had a way better leverage in recruiting talent, than, sure, the two are equal.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
People on here dig Harbaugh for not growing and nurturing the talent on the 49ers, but, it was actually Harbaugh who built a dynast for a football program that has to recruit players with the academic achievements required at Stanford. Harbaugh was the one who made a better team despite the very transparent limitations that Stanford suffers in comparison to USC

MrCarey

Reaction score
Can't blame Pete here. Gotta blame Golden Tate.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Of course Niner fans who are also USC fans would have been on the other side of the argument for years. Now they change for convenience.

Bottom line, Pete's a good coach. What he has done here is way more impressive than what Harbaugh has done.

49fansince70

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":163wcm7i said:

This is only obvious in hindsight. At the time, nobody picked the 49ers to be a .500 team, much less 13-3. A totally revamped coaching staff plus a short offseason plus a consistently sub-500 team is a recipe for disaster. Nope, all this has happened with Alex Smith at QB. It's really sort of a miracle.

OP
OP
B

Brockhawk

Reaction score
It seems obvious to me they got a heck of a coach down there in some shape or form. We were dominating the division for a bit and they were really bad one second then BAM. 13-3 and 3 in a row against my favorite team that looks to me to be getting beastly.

It must be hard to truly judge a coach. Probably have to be one or something. Definitely need to know way more than me. All I know is football is fun and its abrupt and violent yet a whole bunch of subtle almost silent adjustments are going on... Then think about all the intangibles of coaching and motivating people beyond the x an o. That guy down south has taken some serious underdog teams, turned them around quick and beaten the mighty PC with them as of late. I hope to god the Seahawks find a way to throw the smack down in the PC era.

Year three of four in the plan. I'm about to explode I want the seahawks to win the SB so bad!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Starrman44":3cc7npyz said:
Bottom line, Pete's a good coach. What he has done here is way more impressive than what Harbaugh has done.
I agree that Pete is a good coach, and that what he has done is impressive. But I disagree that what Harbaugh has done isn't impressive. It is impressive. Pete & Schneider had to pretty much completely rebuild, but that doesn't take anything away from what Harbaugh has done as a coach.

Starrman44

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2t8torwf said:
Starrman44":2t8torwf said:
I agree that Pete is a good coach, and that what he has done is impressive. But I disagree that what Harbaugh has done isn't impressive. It is impressive. Pete & Schneider had to pretty much completely rebuild, but that doesn't take anything away from what Harbaugh has done as a coach.

I didn't say Harbaugh hasn't impressed at all. I am just sick of Niners fans treating us like some little brother. I don't know if it was this thread or another, but one Niner fan said that we were being held back by our coach and Russell Wilson. I just completely disagree. Pete has really put this team together along with John Schneider, and he has installed a complete philosophy.

Harbaugh had unique talent in place already to work with. For them it was mostly mental. Pete had no talent hardly at all to work with. I've had questions every draft. I thought K.J. Wright was a mistake and had four or five guys still on the board I would have rather had.

Mostly, my irritation on this subject stems from going down to Frisco and losing in a dog-fight and the Niner fans telling us what to fix with out team. Our team is fine. I love what is going on here and I would not trade rosters with the Niners (not to say there aren't guys like Willis, Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Bowman, etc. I would take).

Anyway, long response, but I definitely am not taking away anything from Harbaugh, but I think Pete has been more impressive. I think Harbaugh is a good X's and O's coach, but his actions on the sideline are embarrassing. Pete is rah-rah, and national pundits kinda chide him about it, but you can see our guys are responding to it.

The Radish

Reaction score
I remember oh so clearly and I'll bet many others here do when St.Louis had our number. One year they beat us 3 times. And think how much they must have hated us in the last 3-4 years.

So I'm sure things will balance out more as we go along here.

I think the thing none of us like is after years of sucking ass teams the ninner fans have had one good year and they act like Gods and tell everyone how wonderful they are.

And they can't wait to say how Harbaugh has won 5 in a row over Pete when he's never stayed in any one place long enough to make the long term impact Pete did at USC.

I agree he's had success everywhere he's been, but no LONG TERM success. What happens when his players get tired of his schtick? Could he wind up like Buddy Ryan, a great defensive coach but couldn't get his players to stay with him long term?

We are going to see.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Nice post Radish. Why couldn't harbitch stick around Stanford long enough to"try" and compete for a National title? Instead he abandons his qb in the most important year of his career? In fact , what has harbitch ever won as a coach? Or player for that matter? We were pretty close last year even with Tavarius Jackson at qb. Wilson will get better folks,I think the niners know what they have in smith.

One more question Radish. Can you delete these niner apoligists? Isn't there a board for them where they can sit around a talk about how awesome their team and how awesome their coach is? If I wanted to discuss with niner fans , I'd go to "Gay Rodeo.com"

The Radish

Reaction score
morgulon1":sdc60zdu said:
Nice post Radish. Why couldn't harbitch stick around Stanford long enough to"try" and compete for a National title? Instead he abandons his qb in the most important year of his career? In fact , what has harbitch ever won as a coach? Or player for that matter? We were pretty close last year even with Tavarius Jackson at qb. Wilson will get better folks,I think the niners know what they have in smith.

One more question Radish. Can you delete these niner apoligists? Isn't there a board for them where they can sit around a talk about how awesome their team and how awesome their coach is? If I wanted to discuss with niner fans , I'd go to "Gay Rodeo.com"

For the ninner posters that come to really talk football they are and always have been welcome. Same with other teams. Funny thing the ninners and /skins have always been the worst for me. stillir fans are not much fun as they have a weeks delay or more to approve posters so we can't trade with them. lol

Hell their welcome to talk smack if they want but in the shack not on the main forum.

:les:

endzorn

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":njlzhsk1 said:
People on here dig Harbaugh for not growing and nurturing the talent on the 49ers, but, it was actually Harbaugh who built a dynast for a football program that has to recruit players with the academic achievements required at Stanford. Harbaugh was the one who made a better team despite the very transparent limitations that Stanford suffers in comparison to USC
I think Harbaugh is a helluva coach, but let's be honest...if he doesn't recruit Luck he probably isn't the coach of the 49ers right now.

OP
OP
B

Brockhawk

Reaction score
Good point about Luck. So much of a coaches success rides on the teams QB. Does seem to be getting it done in SF lately even with a sub par QB though...

Young2Rice

Reaction score
endzorn":250dz2qs said:
SoHo9erFan":250dz2qs said:
I think Harbaugh is a helluva coach, but let's be honest...if he doesn't recruit Luck he probably isn't the coach of the 49ers right now.

If Carrol doesn't commit multiple recruiting violations at USC, illegally amassing an unprecedented amount of talent, he's probably not in the NFL either, honestly.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
lol at counting the games Harbaugh was a QB against Carroll as a HC.

That's reaching BIG time