ET's role

roiyair

Reaction score
From what we've done this far in the current season Earl is playing the single high safety on most of the plays, and obviously he's doing it real well as we hardly allow any deep passes this season (Welker's TD and Givens' reception for the Rams being the only ones off the top of my head), but I distinctly remember him being a huge force in run support last season and it has been missing. Did he play the single deep safety this much last season as well? because I think I saw him lining up right up on the line at times and blowing a lot of run plays right in the backfield which I have hardly seen from him this season. So is this a change of scheme thing?
One of the articles at field gulls mentioned him as not being a good tackler and something like "he's never going to be the Troy Polomalu type" which is exactly what I thought he was last season, which made me think whether it was just me being wrong or are we using him differently this season.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That avatar is both disrespectful and bad ass at the same time. I can't make up my mind. (Leaning towards bad ass).

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
To me it seems they are wanting to bring Bam Bam up into the box more for run support. But Earl is so fast he can get there at times anyways this season.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I think w/ the addition of the speed at LBR this year that we have been able to shut down most running games w/ him palying the single high saftety however we stumbled at SF. I do think that had more to do w/ fatigue later in the game for our front 7 than anything. We got gashed a few times earlier in the game but as the score indicated earlier nothing we could not overcome. I also do not think that most teams can run like the niners so we just need to adjust for that game in particular to handle them.

I have never seen any issues w/ ET's tackling and he even brings the wood pretty good for his size so fieldgulls are just a bunch of dumbasses.

hudsonhawk19

Reaction score
I think any complaints about our D at this point are very nit picky, SF only scored 13 points, GB only scored 12, Carolina only cored 12, Dallas scored 7, the #1 offense in the league NE scored 23 points. The defense is responsible for 0 losses this season, the only one you can maybe blame on them is the drive they let corn kolb do in the cards game, the level of D this offense is going to start to be playing against drops significantly after that last game plus we get our 3 division games at home, I personally think we are in fantastic shape and the D can keep playing exactly how they have been playing with a little bit of polishing up.

GO HAWKS!!!

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Aros":1b3hvoew said:
That avatar is both disrespectful and bad ass at the same time. I can't make up my mind. (Leaning towards bad ass).

100% agree. I've had that pic for a while but can't find a way to use it in a classy way.
....also leaning toward bad ass.

sutz

Reaction score
IMHO the run troubles in San Fran were a combination of fatigue and having a rookie MLB.

Having ET as the single high safety gives us 10 men up front for strong press coverage and essentially 8 men in the box against the run. ET has the speed to cover the whole field back there if a play breaks open. I don't recall any tackling issues with him. Hell, he took Gore down one on one a couple of times Thursday night. Unless we're playing nickle, dime, or Bandit, ET doesn't need any help back there. :)

Overall, though they may seem to mis-use ET on occasion, I think our D schemes have been pretty effective.

IIRC, ET was up close to the line on some plays.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Aros":kis4uov2 said:

I land on "would be bad ass if it weren't disrespectful".

JesterHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":nv03ed8x said:
Aros":nv03ed8x said:

I land on "would be bad ass if it weren't disrespectful".

To which I propose "Would be disrespectful, if it weren't badass."

TheHawkster

Reaction score
ChrisB Bacon":1fwb0div said:
Why is that disrespectful

Imagine if you fought or died on Iwo Jima.
Or were a family member of one.

The battle for that pile of dirt was an absolute blood bath.
Changing out the American Flag for a 12th man flag is disrespectful.

hawker84

Reaction score
Aros":1vc48slq said:

it is bad ass, but it is a bit on the disrespectful side as well... lot of sacrifice to raise that flag.... and earl thomas is the best defensive player on the squad... besides the dropped Int's, he's a solid player, and definately locks down the deep middle...

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
TheHawkster":zetxdqn6 said:
ChrisB Bacon":zetxdqn6 said:
Why is that disrespectful

Imagine if you fought or died on Iwo Jima.
Or were a family member of one.

The battle for that pile of dirt was an absolute blood bath.
Changing out the American Flag for a 12th man flag is disrespectful.
I don't find it disrespectful...I look at it this way: (and my father fought in the South Pacific, in similar conflicts)
We are the 12th man...we are the extra person on the field of battle called a Seahawks game. The flag there just reminds me that there was a 12th man fighting alongside the men who fought at Iwo Jima. Anytime I look at the original, I feel I stand in awe and support of the men who fought so valiantly. With that pic, it reminds me that we still all stand together!

Respectful...bad ass.