A few thoughts, and future needs.

gubernaculum

Reaction score
1) I'm really concerned about Baldwin. When he was out of the lineup, we had a lot more problems in the passing game. Missing him for an extended period of time is going to hurt, since opposing defenses can key in on Rice. Baldwin also seems to have a history of being injury prone. Without Baldwin, the pressure is going to be much higher on Tate to be more consistent. I don't think that Obo has enough talent, and its seems Edwards is used sparingly for whatever reason. This seems like an obvious area to upgrade in the draft. Unfortunately, it seems to take a few years to develop WR's, so I wouldn't be surprised if we look at free agent WR's, as well as drafting for this position.

2) Our OL, particularly in pass protection seems to be lacking. Maybe this is partially due to chemistry. Hopefully, getting Moffitt back on the field this week will solidify this weakness. There also seems to be a lack up depth here as well. I see this as a position to upgrade.

3) TE. Because of our deficiencies at OL, Zach Miller has needed to function as an extra blocker quite a bit. Our other TE's have not shown me very much, and I expect that this will be a position to upgrade in the draft as well. Having two tight ends who can block and are also dependable in the passing game give us a tremendous amound of versatility (ie. NE). Definitely makes us more difficult to scheme against.

4) WLB. Hill's production seems to be falling off, and I expect a rookie to be drafted next year to take his place. He seems to be the invisible man on our defense.

Just my thoughts on a slow Tuesday. Would love to hear input from others.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
1. It's just not Doug's year. Not really a sophomore slump per se, he just can't stay healthy.

Defenses are already "keying" on Rice, and since Doug plays the slot I don't think aspect of it will be much different. Neither Obo or Edwards is suited for the slot role, but I'd like to see Martin get a shot.

2. They are not great, but they have been getting better. Cohesion helps...which comes with line-up stability.

3. It sucks we can't use Miller more effectively. Did he even get one pass thrown his way against SF? McCoy is just not consistent enough, and Moore has been a disappointment - although nin his defense he hasn't had a lot of chances. He was probably shocked that pass came his way (the one he dropped vs the Whiners).

4. Agree also. Hill has been solid, but we can upgrade.

I see us going afer a WR-TE-OL-LB in the draft.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

Ur three for three with this site my friend :)
Round 1, Robert Woods WR.
Round 2, Zack Ertz TE.
Round 3, Kevin Riddick LB.

I agree with you completely, personally if we came out of the first round with Woods I would be chuffed, he looks like a great ball player, even Tavon Austin in round two maybe, give us a true number two opposite Rice.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'm worried about Baldwin's long term health. Last year on these boards Kearly mentioned that considering his size and how hard he plays Baldwin's long term health was a concern. Sadly his comments were very prophetic. I hope he gets and STAYS healthy but I am skeptical. Regardless, I agree this area and o-line need attention.

12thMan1

Reaction score
gubernaculum":221b5ec6 said:
1) I'm really concerned about Baldwin. When he was out of the lineup, we had a lot more problems in the passing game. Missing him for an extended period of time is going to hurt, since opposing defenses can key in on Rice. Baldwin also seems to have a history of being injury prone. Without Baldwin, the pressure is going to be much higher on Tate to be more consistent. I don't think that Obo has enough talent, and its seems Edwards is used sparingly for whatever reason. This seems like an obvious area to upgrade in the draft. Unfortunately, it seems to take a few years to develop WR's, so I wouldn't be surprised if we look at free agent WR's, as well as drafting for this position.

2) Our OL, particularly in pass protection seems to be lacking. Maybe this is partially due to chemistry. Hopefully, getting Moffitt back on the field this week will solidify this weakness. There also seems to be a lack up depth here as well. I see this as a position to upgrade.

3) TE. Because of our deficiencies at OL, Zach Miller has needed to function as an extra blocker quite a bit. Our other TE's have not shown me very much, and I expect that this will be a position to upgrade in the draft as well. Having two tight ends who can block and are also dependable in the passing game give us a tremendous amound of versatility (ie. NE). Definitely makes us more difficult to scheme against.

4) WLB. Hill's production seems to be falling off, and I expect a rookie to be drafted next year to take his place. He seems to be the invisible man on our defense.

Just my thoughts on a slow Tuesday. Would love to hear input from others.

With players like Julio Jones and AJ Green (who had great rookie seasons) coming in and making an immediate impact, I tend to disagree with your statement regarding WR development.

OP
OP
G

gubernaculum

Reaction score
Good points about Jones and Green. I would think, though, that they are relatively rare exceptions and not the norm. For every exception at WR, there are far more players that take a longer time to develop. That being the case, it would probably be a good idea to also look into free agent WR's as well. If we get super lucky and hit the lottery with a player like Green, all the better for us.