We need to create more turnovers....

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
One of the issues for our defense this season has been forcing turnovers. Overall as a team we are -1 in turnover differential for the season. I think we all expected to be much better - alas, the season is still young.

Glad to hear Pete talk today about it as a concern - I've noticed that's a huge concern, especially with how we looked in the pre-season. I expected more this season. Only 3 players have picked off passes (Sherman, Browner, Thomas). We have left a lot of opportunities on the field (the big ones I recall were Thomas a few times and Wright's gift shoulda-been-a-pick-six against Dallas).

As I pointed out in another thread, we don't have a defensive TD this season either.

I'm not cracking on the defense - they are the reason we even have a winning record right now. I just hope the tide turns, as they usually start coming in bunches and we can look forward to that.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1gi1gntc said:
One of the issues for our defense this season has been forcing turnovers. Overall as a team we are -1 in turnover differential for the season. I think we all expected to be much better - alas, the season is still young.

Glad to hear Pete talk today about it as a concern - I've noticed that's a huge concern, especially with how we looked in the pre-season. I expected more this season. Only 3 players have picked off passes (Sherman, Browner, Thomas). We have left a lot of opportunities on the field (the big ones I recall were Thomas a few times and Wright's gift shoulda-been-a-pick-six against Dallas).

As I pointed out in another thread, we don't have a defensive TD this season either.

I'm not cracking on the defense - they are the reason we even have a winning record right now. I just hope the tide turns, as they usually start coming in bunches and we can look forward to that.

I'm worried less about defensive TDs (the 2000 Ravens only had 1), but think you're spot on regarding turnovers. I've been surprised at how few turnovers our defense has forced.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3hxt4l0o said:
FlyingGreg":3hxt4l0o said:

I'm worried less about defensive TDs (the 2000 Ravens only had 1), but think you're spot on regarding turnovers. I've been surprised at how few turnovers our defense has forced.

Agreed - the defensive TDs are something you can't count on, they would just be really nice when we are struggling to score points. Same with special teams TDs, although we do have one of those (vs Dallas). Still waiting to see Leon nail one, it's been way too long.

The frustrating part with the turnovers is we probably have left at least 6-8 out on the field. Thomas has dropped at least 3 easy picks, one of which could have been a pick 6. Wright's was an easy pick 6 as well.

It would be a great week to come up with a 3-4 turnover game to help offset the Lions offensive firepower (it's still there, even if it hasn't surfaced yet this season).

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I think it comes with the territory of having a glacial offense. We're not putting points on the boards, forcing other teams into the position where they can make mistakes with passes. As for fumbles, a lot of it comes down to a trade off between sure tackling and stripping the ball, IMO.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":txgqjq4m said:
I think it comes with the territory of having a glacial offense. We're not putting points on the boards, forcing other teams into the position where they can make mistakes with passes. As for fumbles, a lot of it comes down to a trade off between sure tackling and stripping the ball, IMO.

Yep. Although I loved the way Browner and Sherman were stripping the ball against the Panthers...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I agree. While the defense has been solid, it hasn't been opportunistic in creating turnovers.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I read somewhere that, as of 2 games ago, we were 1st in the NFL in forced fumbles, but near the bottom in recovered fumbles. Eventually, the ball bounces our way.

If we get more pressure on QBs, then we will get more strip sacks as well. But I share your concern that we need more turnovers, especially with how poor our offense has been.

I'm amazed we've been in position to win late in games as much as we have, since our offense is just not built to come from behind at this time, but we've still done it.

ensett

Reaction score
We have dropped a lot of ints so far and came within inches of some on several occasions. Kam even had one called back against the Cowboys because of an offsides penalty. It's almost all been there, it'll balance itself soon.

the_12th_man

Reaction score
Was anybody else excited about how the Lions just can't hold on to the ball on Monday night? I think the Bears had officially 3 fumbles recovered but there was a lot of opportunities for more. I'd really be disappointed if the Hawks don't have a great turnover ratio on Sunday!!!

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
This was one of our strengths last year. We had lots of ints and forced fumbles. Even one safety. I miss that ALOT this year. That, and blocked field goals! We had a bunch of those last year, and even a blocked extra point. I think most of them were at the hands of Big Red.

Uffda

Reaction score
Got feeling, we'll get 3 or more this weekend, because of the way Lions offense is mostly passing around 50 times a game.

Also that they seem to have an underwhelming rushing attack.

Latest posts