Defense should be ashamed today

kmedic

Reaction score
I thought today's game was flat out the worst performance by the defense this season. After 10 days to prepare too I am very disappointed. The lack of pass rush was a huge factor IMO. Irvin was non-existent and Clem had only a few impact plays. Perhaps Bradley could have called for some more blitzes but the fact is our front 4 had a poor game today.

I can't be too harsh on the offense today, especially when they had an 83 yard drive in the 4th quarter that put them ahead.

Bad, bad performance by the defense today, all around.

Rainger

Reaction score
Problem is, that is how we have operated it seems like for years. When we get great D our O stinks and when our O does its job then the D tanks. This has repeated itself for 36 years other than a few exceptions.

hawk45

Reaction score
There's no way they look themselves in the mirror and believe the BS about being a number one D. A pretty good D? Yes. A number one D? Uh, no. The Lions have looked pathetic against teams with defenses that weren't being mentioned as possibly the best in the league. Our defense can't hold up their end on a day when the offense finally comes out and executes on the road.

Seaswab

Reaction score
With a chance to go 5-3, this defense wilted. Total joke effort. If they were as dominant as they claim, they shut down the Lions there and win the game. Didn't happen. Shameful. Instead, they let them waltz down the field and play with no pride or intensity whatsoever. Disgrace.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
They played like warmed-over dog crap.

It was shameful.

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2dtklaql said:
We never get a good pass rush on the road...not sure why anyone expects different.

Maybe we need to be blitzing more often then on the road. You can't leave a QB like Stafford back there all day to throw. Irvin sure has cooled off lately...

NJHawksFan

Reaction score
"It's okay guys, the Lions have a good offense."

That is some peoples' excuse for this game. So a great defense is not expected to perform well against a great offense? But if we were to dominate the Jaguars we would take full credit right? lol.

TOPHawk

Reaction score
There was very little push up the middle today on the pass rush. There was also very little impact by the DTs on stopping the running game.

I thought this was going to be a strength on this team this year...it's not.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Well, after Leshoure ran 15+ up the gut on a trap play - what the niners did last week - the DTs adjusted and held Leshoure to 46 rush yards.

The only adjustment they really need to do is to clog up the middle of their pass defense to defend those really short crossing routes that go for 3-4 yards. The niners did that last week and it killed us this week.

Teams will continue to run these dink pass routes until the D shuts that down. Maybe play more Big nickel or dime to cover those short routes, but the D needs to take that play away.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think this D should now shut up and stop reading so much of their own press. Detroit must have converted 80% on 3rd down. That is dispicable, unacceptable and un-disciplined. As far as I am concerned, this team now has 12 games (8+ 4 pre-season) to get their sh*t together for next year. For the most part, I like what Pete has done with this team, but if we are sitting at 4 and 4 this time next year, we should replace him in week 9.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Irvin and Clemons are not complete enough pass rushers to do much away from home against adequate Tackles, it seems.....

All speed and spins won't cut it.

rjdriver

Reaction score
bestfightstory":uo0l72ih said:
Irvin and Clemons are not complete enough pass rushers to do much away from home against adequate Tackles, it seems.....

All speed and spins won't cut it.

I thought Irvin sucked ass. Couldn't agree more BFS. He uses his blinding speed to blow over the outside of the OT every time. The problem is his speed just carries him to the outside of the QB as well as soon the QB steps up. He needs some inside moves to shake it up. This will come, I know. I think with more refinement and versatility, he will be a beast.

Hawks46

Reaction score
You, sir, should be ashamed for daring to create a post that is overreactionary, and critisizes our elite defense ! (yes, yes I'm just kidding!)

NJHawksfan hit it on the nose.