Trufant is Aweful

mistaowen

Reaction score
WT3 should be back next week. He was close to being ready for this game but I think the extra week is good. Should greatly improve the middle coverages.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
That's weird. I didn't know Trufant was our defensive coordinator. Man... that sucks that we have a player coach. He's stretched too thin. Even John Marshall could find out how to create mismatches for the d's favor. Trufant can't though. I guess we need to fire him and replace him as defensive coordinator. That's too bad Marcus that they run you out there on the field AND make you call the defense and create the defensive gameplan. It must suck to be so overworked like that.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm not an x's or o's guru or anyhing, but just based on the completions they were getting i'm thinking our middle linebacker is dropping to deep in his zones.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Trufant is really only responsible for the slot receiver, or the zone he's assigned to.

Titus Young tore us up on shallow drag routes that went all the way across the field. Many times he was never lined up on Young.

Trufant was assignment correct all night tonight, and had very good coverage. The receptions he gave up were mostly undefendable, and were spectacular throws by Stafford. Spectacular throws generally take time and good throwing lanes. Get pressure on Stafford, and we won't see those.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Everybody is dropping right where they are schemed to. That's the thing. The scheme is what it is, and teams have figured out how to beat it. This defense is about as creative as the dying years of Holmgren's offense. We might as well hire Monte Kiffin to coach it, because that's what they are running out there every week. That defense was picked apart years ago by the modified WCO. The coaches need to make the adjustments. Players are where they are told to be. Teams make adjustments so that we end up with awful situations like Clemons having to cover a TE multiple plays in a row on pass routes. That crap is unforgivable and heads should roll over that. Not Trufant's though. That's my thinking.

hawker84

Reaction score
that, and sorry sharkhawk, trufant is not getting it done, but that's just one of many problems with this d, one of many...

jkitsune

Reaction score
Tru is definitely the weak link of our top 5 DBs.

Which makes sense, since he's our 5th DB. But he's also better than our 6th DB. And the only person who might be an upgrade, WT3, is injured and may or may not ever get back into game shape with the way he's been broken down.

To be honest, we've spent so long desperately needing to upgrade our starting DBs that I'm just thankful we can afford to worry about our nickel CB.

kendog2639

Reaction score
most passes are to te or rb 7 yards from line of scrimmage right in middle.... trufant had a good game today i thought

i think the problem is us playing zone to damn much... why dont we play man and let the safeties roam where they want?

im tired of the tight end in and out routes against chancellor every week.. guarenteed catch every time

blaisio

Reaction score
The problem that i see with Trufant is that he is always in the position to make the play but never does. Because he is such a weak link the opposing qb looks to his guy first. He has confidence that his guy can beat Trufant. I was at the Patriots game and everytime Trufant was out on the field Brady looked to his guy first. And any time he chose to he could get those easy yards.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Seriously, those who are blaming the game on a 5th DB need to stop digging so deep. Are you guys aware of Occam's Razor? The simplest explanation is the most likely. The simplest explanation is we're being outschemed, not that our fifth freaking defensive back is out of position every play. Come on. Be realistic. Put blame where it belongs. We've been outcoached on 3rd and long. Trufant is the least of our problems. If the teams are figuring out to target him every time then perhaps our coaches need to figure out some better defenses. Even John Marshall figured out ways to take advantage of other teams, and he sucked the majority of the time.

jkitsune

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1tlo1yjb said:
Seriously, those who are blaming the game on a 5th DB need to stop digging so deep. Are you guys aware of Occam's Razor? The simplest explanation is the most likely. The simplest explanation is we're being outschemed, not that our fifth freaking defensive back is out of position every play. Come on. Be realistic. Put blame where it belongs. We've been outcoached on 3rd and long. Trufant is the least of our problems. If the teams are figuring out to target him every time then perhaps our coaches need to figure out some better defenses. Even John Marshall figured out ways to take advantage of other teams, and he sucked the majority of the time.

Well-put. IMO 3rd and long is a coaching issue. We often play a fundamentally different scheme on 3rd down than on 1st and 2nd, which is incredibly counterintuitive when you're as good as we are on 1st and 2nd.

I don't know how you fix it, but I would suggest they start by playing 3rd and long the same way they play 1st and 2nd and long.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Excellent points Shark! Players are responsible for an occasional play, but our ENTIRE season of third and anything failure is anything but Tru's fault.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jesus fricking Christ, the player hate that some people have here makes me want to vomit, Trufant is why were losing is like saying Ungar doesn't snap the ball fast enough to beat the pass rush. Some people need their Keyboards locked up until they learn how the game is actually played.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
That Unger comparison made me laugh Chris. Thanks. I needed the chuckle, especially after that mess! :)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3t2lc19v said:
I'm not an x's or o's guru or anyhing, but just based on the completions they were getting i'm thinking our middle linebacker is dropping to deep in his zones.
I ain't an x's or o's guy either, but Their QB had a LOT of time to find his open guys, and when he didn't?, he was killing our D with slants, and the job of the D coordinator is to see that, and make adjustments to counter that, and it looked to me like he had an empty bag he was reaching in, cuz he was coming out of that bag with nothing.
And as for Trufant?, what the hell do some people expect?, for him to adjust for third down coverage all by his lonesome?
Truth is, we could have had the worlds best instead of Trufant, and the outcome would have been the EXACT same'
I'm getting tired of the excuses for soft play in the middle of our Defense, because it was exposed by the 49rs, and capitolized by the Lions,,We need to fix the problem, and quit makeing excuses.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it wasn't the scheme that allowed Young to get inside position on Browner for the game winning TD. You can't give up inside. Under no circumstances should a slant route beat you inside the 5. He should have taken away the inside and and used the sideline to his advantage.. To me this was entirely on Browner.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Yeah it was. It was a freaking ZONE. Browner said so on the post game. In zone the man plays right in front of you and slants KILL zones. It is a known fact. Crap, I coached 5th-6th grade football and would call the plays. We'd chew other teams up running the stupid slant pass on teams that were dumb enough to stay in a 2 deep zone, especially when you just needed a yard.

The Radish

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2fcakgjy said:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't the scheme that allowed Young to get inside position on Browner for the game winning TD. You can't give up inside. Under no circumstances should a slant route beat you inside the 5. He should have taken away the inside and and used the sideline to his advantage.. To me this was entirely on Browner.

I'm not as much of a scheme guy as I was years ago but how do you use the sideline to cover a slant? The player heads for the center of the field, never goes in the direction of the sidelines so you have no chance to get inside him.

That's why slants work.

You take away the inside and the receiver goes outside and walks into the end zone uncovered.

:les:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jlwaters1":68mntfns said:
The slants were working for Stafford all day long,,, our D coordinator screwed the pooch by not having coached his Corners to covering in those situations.