All the pieces are there. We need experience.

strohmin

Reaction score
I think we are one of the most athletic teams in the league. Today's game showed that we need more experience. I think the last 3 weeks proved that the defense is not elite yet, but I do believe the defense will become elite once they become more disciplined and experienced. The only thing that bugs me about today's loss was the over hyped expectations I was led to believe about them. They look more of like a competitive/athletic but inexperienced defense than an elite great defense which I sometimes forget. Our over aggressive play style is killing us. I remember we were so good in the beginning of the season at putting a stop to the screens and trick plays, but then I think we started focusing on the pass rush and decided to rush the quarterback at any cost allowing for screens and reverses to work.

Offensively we have a way more talented unit than I have ever seen and they are getting better every week. I keep forgetting how much more talented this team is than the last two years.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I hear ya. I was thinking something similar after the game regarding the youth of this team.

There seems to be a themse to the losses -

@ AZ: defense/special teams and running game showup but passing game doesn't.

@ STL: defense/running game shows up, passing game doesn't, special teams has brain farts.

@ SF: pass D and run O show up, Russell is competent and the run D stinks.

@ DET: Russell is solid, Lynch busts one, pass pro is good, run D is on point but a usually airtight secondary gets gashed by some little dudes.

The Hawks are very capable and ultra talented in every phase of the game but still suffer the maddening inconsistencies of a young team. Eventually, maybe this season even, it will all come together at once - and it will be a beautiful opening of floodgates. 4-4 isn't ideal but the season has been kept alive while they iron out the kinks - the arrow is pointing up.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
One... maybe two... good drafts away from being very good. Hard to be patient but we have to be.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2dsq4u6w said:
One... maybe two... good drafts away from being very good. Hard to be patient but we have to be.
Blah, blah. I know you are right, but blah, blah, blah. I've seen too many faster turn arounds to accept mediocrity, and getting out-coached has nothing to do with how well we draft. We have enough depth and talent now to be better than we are.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I disagree. For every close game we've lost, we've won a close one. Actually Dallas is the exception, but Green Bay, New England and Carolina - we could've lost those games. We're a team that right now is capable of keeping things tight. If we were 5-3 right now it'd be cool but we'd be about five plays from 3-5. We have a decent defense, not quite as good as some projected and not as bad as the instant reaction to last night. Our offense is probably better than most of us have been arguing... it probably just needs a bit of time to grow. I think 8-9 wins is probably about right for this team this year. But the window is just creaking open.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
You can't be a few drafts from being good when you're already 3 years into the build.

Now is when the window opens. The window can be open for 10 years (NE) or just not at all (most teams).

Our window has clearly opened. It's time to win and stop making excuses.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1tb140xo said:
You can't be a few drafts from being good when you're already 3 years into the build.

Why? Is there a time limit on a major rebuild? Let's be fair here, Carroll inherited one of the worst rosters in the NFL, devoid of any long term cornerstones. Why does he only get 3 years?

smashmouth59

Reaction score
Come to think of it, Mebane and Unger are really the only cornerstones he inherited.

TOPHawk

Reaction score
I wonder if a championship will come with this coaching staff...and that's not to knock PC or his crew.

This a young, fast team much like the Buccaneers in the late 90s and early 2000s. Dungy built an outstanding defense centered around a solid defensive line and a smart, instinctive MLB. (The Seahawks have talent at LB, but they are still very inexperienced.)

It took an offensive guy like Gruden to come in and tune the Buccaneers offense to be more efficient and match the defense...that's when they went to, and won the SB.

PC deserves a ton of credit for changing the atmosphere around this team...but I wonder if it's going to be another coach that is going to take this team all the way.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hey, we're medocre after 2.5 seasons! Give me those rose-colored glasses and whatever you're smoking! I want wholesale changes from the HC on down...and while we're at, I want a new owner. I hate mediocrity and will accept nothing less championships every year. I want a coaching staff and ownership that gets us to the big dance based upon the facts that:

1. I bought tickets and won't accept mediocrity.
2. I'm tired of being mediocre see no reason why my personal delemma shouldn't make the Hawks instantly great.
3. I've been a Hawk fan since forever, so I've already given them several decades to rebuild.

That should about cover it. Wouldn't want a few people around here to get writer's cramp. :)

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
smashmouth59":pj82966x said:
Come to think of it, Mebane and Unger are really the only cornerstones he inherited.
:13:

We are a year ahead of where I thought they would be. Considering the talent inherited I thought we would not be good till year 5 of the pc era.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":v4v54ffg said:
Hey, we're medocre after 2.5 seasons! Give me those rose-colored glasses and whatever you're smoking! I want wholesale changes from the HC on down...and while we're at, I want a new owner. I hate mediocrity and will accept nothing less championships every year. I want a coaching staff and ownership that gets us to the big dance based upon the facts that:

1. I bought tickets and won't accept mediocrity.
2. I'm tired of being mediocre see no reason why my personal delemma shouldn't make the Hawks instantly great.
3. I've been a Hawk fan since forever, so I've already given them several decades to rebuild.

That should about cover it. Wouldn't want a few people around here to get writer's cramp. :)
Your anger should be directed at Tim Ruskel for running the team into the ground.