pete admits he gets too excited during the game "competing"

soohawk

Reaction score
he is interviewing with brock and salk talking about the game. he brings up the challenge flag on the penalized play himself to explain what happened. he states that the guys in the booth told him the ball hit the ground and then just took off down the sideline seeing 6 seconds on the play clock to throw the flag. he admits he didn't forget about the penalty or the situation, he said he got overexcited competing and "he would just deal with the consequences". that's him being 100% honest.

he needs to reign that in a bit

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Thats not exactly how the conversation went.

He said the booth was yelling he dropped it he dropped it he dropped it into the head set......so he instantly went running to the ref to throw the red flag..... got caught up in the moment.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So who exactly is this anonymous blind person in our booth, and how do we get his some better glasses?

Hawkfeathers

Reaction score
Pete continues to forget this is the NFL and not pop warner football. His juvenile antics are often annoying.

Largent80

Reaction score
If a replay or challenge is going to be part of the game then more time needs to be allowed for the people watching the previous play to make a reasonable call on whether to challenge or not. It is ridiculous that they have this system in place and it is used this way.

If Pete makes that challenge work you all would be calling him a genius.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Largent80":2di5fpww said:
If a replay or challenge is going to be part of the game then more time needs to be allowed for the people watching the previous play to make a reasonable call on whether to challenge or not. It is ridiculous that they have this system in place and it is used this way.

People are trolling. Seems like losses bring them out.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1edivfdu said:

There is NO way to make that challenge work, even Pete knew it after he threw the flag and said so himself.

The FACT is that there was a defensive holding call on the play. IF and that's a big if, the challenge was won, Detroit takes the penalty and gets the first down anyway. It was not worth the risk for, AT MOST, 3 yards of field position.

Largent80

Reaction score
OK Kid, we get it, you hate Pete. Sorry but he is the coach, like it or not. I would suggest getting used to it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1uxcqjkr said:
OK Kid, we get it, you hate Pete. Sorry but he is the coach, like it or not. I would suggest getting used to it.

I've never gotten that impression from Kid. Not even from this particular thread.

I think you can credit what Carroll has done to improve our defense, and that he's gotten more right than wrong with his unorthodox decisions than any pundit imagined - all while still recognizing that he does tend to get a bit impulsive on gameday, and sometimes that has negative consequences.

And that seems to be what's being discussed here... it's not a wholesale attack on Carroll as the coach, but rather a discussion of something that was clearly wrong in this instance.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":mrs262as said:

I agree there is a problem. I've seen random "media timeouts" that have been very helpful in helping teams make a decision. It skews the system by making it work better on certain plays, and not on others when you're in a big hurry. But if you have a tv timeout to watch it then it sort of changes the system.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1ace57fh said:

Really? I never said I hate Pete. I really like Pete...I am questioning his time management skills and think he may be better off getting an offensive coordinator that he could cede control of that side of the ball, but I have NEVER once called for Pete to lose his job or any such thing.

That challenge was extremely stupid and even Pete knew it was a mistake. How you cannot see that it was a bad idea is beyond me, unless you are just trying to put a positive spin on everything no matter what the facts are.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I think his time management is better than Holmy's was. He was always saving timeouts. I can remember Holmgren going an entire game without using one timeout or challenge the entire game. I am sure at the very least his players would have appreciated a short break to just rest for a couple.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1bekknvq said:
I think his time management is better than Holmy's was. He was always saving timeouts. I can remember Holmgren going an entire game without using one timeout or challenge the entire game. I am sure at the very least his players would have appreciated a short break to just rest for a couple.

I never liked Holmgren's clock management either, but with Pete, I think our defense has made some big stops to help make the clock management not seem as bad as it is.

kidhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2fuzt2ce said:
Largent80":2fuzt2ce said:

I've never gotten that impression from Kid. Not even from this particular thread.

I think you can credit what Carroll has done to improve our defense, and that he's gotten more right than wrong with his unorthodox decisions than any pundit imagined - all while still recognizing that he does tend to get a bit impulsive on gameday, and sometimes that has negative consequences.

And that seems to be what's being discussed here... it's not a wholesale attack on Carroll as the coach, but rather a discussion of something that was clearly wrong in this instance.

This is absolutely correct. I am in no way calling on Pete to lose his job or even be in the hot seat. I just am calling out some weak points that I have seen in our games over the past few years. I LOVE what Pete has done with defense and I'm liking the direction of the offense, but clock management really seems to be an issue that hasn't gotten any better with time.

hawkfan333

Reaction score
that is not what was said at all that is a really misleading post compared to what was actually said

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan333":1goggrwo said:
that is not what was said at all that is a really misleading post compared to what was actually said

Quote from Pete: "When that moment of competition exploded in my head...I lost my mind"

Interpret it as you will.....It's right towards the end of the podcast. The whole Carroll interview was the last 20 minutes or so of the podcast.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... 7973&p=&n=

5280Hawk

Reaction score
Clock management is one of those things that you never talk about when it's not bad.

"Hey Guys! Man!...., how good was that clock management by Carroll and the Coaches today?! wow!"

djb28

Reaction score
Hawkfeathers":3i6q2tqd said:
Pete continues to forget this is the NFL and not pop warner football. His juvenile antics are often annoying.
I think Harbaugh is Juvenile and Pete doesn't come close to that fool.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
djb28":3cl80rv3 said:
I think Harbaugh is Juvenile and Pete doesn't come close to that fool.

I bet if you asked SF fans who's more annoying, they'd say Carroll. Annoying is in the eye of the fan.

My opinion is they're both annoying and unprofessional when they're carrying on during games. At least Carroll isn't malicious, but I still roll my eyes when I see him sprinting down the sidelines hugging and kissing everyone like his kid just hit a home run in a Babe Ruth baseball game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
So is comPETEing during the game causing him to be unable to call a dfense that can stop the other team on third down (Lions 12 for 16 yesterday)?
Oh wait, Bradley's the "D" coordinator..........
um, yeah right.