Finally Competitive

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of hand wringing and angst about the recent 2 game slide and 4-4 start. We have been inconsistent (as most near .500 teams are) but one thing that has improved from the last few years is the teams competitive balance on the road and in loss.

The first couple Carroll era years were dotted with blowout losses, both home and on the road. However, aswe look at this season, all four losses have come down to the last drive, all within one score. Our big wins over signature teams have also been tight, hard fought competitive games.

This is new to Carrolls Seahawks and something I believe signals the true direction of the team. Carroll recently came out and said the team was "so close to 8-0" . Its been inconsistency from younger players that have attributed to those losses. But the lessons learned hopefully can help us. To turning those into wins in the second half and into next season.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
I agree completely, we look poised for a great stretch of winning seasons. A little more maturity and development, some more experience and confidence...and we are there I think. I think we really start to kick it into gear- consistently- in the next 10-20 games. And then we'll be there as long as we can retain, restock, and reload talent.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1mx9lcgt said:
Pstark3":1mx9lcgt said:
what i would give to be 8-0..

Next year, with an improved offense and holes patched on defense, you might not have to say that. This team is indeed about four plays from 8-0, as weird as that sounds.
If were 4 plays from being 8-0, then why couldnt we also be contenders this year? Put us up against any team in the playoffs and I think it would come down to the last drive

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Just as the Offense seems to be coming around, the 'D' play appears to be sagging just a bit. Not really with the underneath stuff as that has been a problem from the beginning, but with giving up TD's and uncharacteristic blown coverage on big plays. I'm counting on home games and the bye week to bail us out and get us back on track.

Pstark3

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3nwd7d83 said:
Just as the Offense seems to be coming around, the 'D' play appears to be sagging just a bit. Not really with the underneath stuff as that has been a problem from the beginning, but with giving up TD's and uncharacteristic blown coverage on big plays. I'm counting on home games and the bye week to bail us out and get us back on track.
Well at least now we know both our Offense and defense are more than capable of being great. Now we need to have them both be great consistantly. If we do that, who can stop us?

heyu123

Reaction score
Uncle Si":4ap6gzec said:
I know there is a lot of hand wringing and angst about the recent 2 game slide and 4-4 start. We have been inconsistent (as most near .500 teams are) but one thing that has improved from the last few years is the teams competitive balance on the road and in loss.

The first couple Carroll era years were dotted with blowout losses, both home and on the road. However, aswe look at this season, all four losses have come down to the last drive, all within one score. Our big wins over signature teams have also been tight, hard fought competitive games.

This is new to Carrolls Seahawks and something I believe signals the true direction of the team. Carroll recently came out and said the team was "so close to 8-0" . Its been inconsistency from younger players that have attributed to those losses. But the lessons learned hopefully can help us. To turning those into wins in the second half and into next season.

This is true. However I get tired of hearing that 'so close to 8-0' argument. This team is equally as close to being 1-7.

The record of 4-4 right now is an accurate portrayal of what they deserve.

grizbob

Reaction score
"The record of 4-4 right now is an accurate portrayal of what they deserve."

Well, what "we" deserve is an undefeated season followed by a Super Bowl win :roll:

usc17hawk

Reaction score
grizbob":1b099hqh said:

Well, what "we" deserve is an undefeated season followed by a Super Bowl win :roll:

I think we deserved a Super Bowl win with the 2005 team, not with this one. Maybe I'm being too greedy, but I'd rather be a dominant team and win the Super Bowl than a #6 seed that benefits from lousy officiating. The celebration after a disputed win is not nearly as satisfying (i.e. Green Bay game)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
usc17hawk":302rp264 said:
grizbob":302rp264 said:

I think we deserved a Super Bowl win with the 2005 team, not with this one. Maybe I'm being too greedy, but I'd rather be a dominant team and win the Super Bowl than a #6 seed that benefits from lousy officiating. The celebration after a disputed win is not nearly as satisfying (i.e. Green Bay game)

There is no dispute about the Green Bay game. We won it and have moved on to the rest of the season. (As has GB, I'm guessing.)

usc17hawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3keu3zq3 said:
usc17hawk":3keu3zq3 said:
grizbob":3keu3zq3 said:

There is no dispute about the Green Bay game. We won it and have moved on to the rest of the season. (As has GB, I'm guessing.)

In the same way that Pittsburgh has moved on from Super Bowl XL?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
usc17hawk":2o1hy8ct said:
Sarlacc83":2o1hy8ct said:
usc17hawk":2o1hy8ct said:
grizbob said:

In the same way that Pittsburgh has moved on from Super Bowl XL?
You think they're losing any sleep over what we think?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
The closer we get, the more impatient I get. So close you can taste it. If we just fix this, that and the other we are there syndrome. The direction is good, the type of team most wanted is being created, it's the waiting for it all to come together part that is hard sometimes. Rebuilds are tough to go through as a fan.